Grand Canyon Glass Skywalk

janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone know if this is complete. This would be a cool place to take some awesome photos.
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2006
    http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/home.html

Supposed to be complete sometime this year.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2006
    looks like a toilet seat
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    looks like a toilet seat

Thats cause people are going to crap themselves when they look down.:eek:
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • janmike
    edited October 2006
    Every BASE jumper in the world will be looking to penetrate security.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    NO They won't!!! I've been there & it was scary enough walking close to the edge. Most people won't go hanging over the edge like that!!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    edited October 2006
    BASE jumpers are not most people and they live for environments like that.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2006
    janmike wrote:
    Every BASE jumper in the world will be looking to penetrate security.

I don't know how they do it, but you're right. They definitely will try it. Just nuts.

I couldn't set foot anywhere near that thing. Way too afraid of heights. :o
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2006
    Me either. That's a scary lookin' contraption.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2006
    no way I could walk on that..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Disaster waiting to happen!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2006
    A few years back some base jumpers were protesting at Yosemite National Park about jumping off Half Dome. During the protest 1 of the 5 died. The joke from that still makes me laugh today, "Base jumping, recommended by 4 out of 5 jumpers". LOL!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited October 2006
    They ought to name that the "Ex-Lax Commemorative Viewing Bridge".

.....if that doesn't pucker your ****, nothing will. :o
    Sal Palooza
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited October 2006
    You wouldn't ever get me on that thing.... I'm way to afraid of heights!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2006
    yeah, I see my 300+ lb @ss walking that thing REAL soon. riiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    It's opening on March 28th of this year.
    March 28, 2007 - The Official Public Opening Of The Skywalk
    DATE: December 8, 2006

Grand Canyon West, a destination owned and operated by the Hualapai Tribe at the Grand Canyon’s western rim, announces March 28, 2007 as the official public opening date of The Skywalk. The Skywalk will be the first-ever cantilever shaped glass walkway to suspend more than 4,000 feet above the canyon’s floor and extend 70 feet from the canyon’s rim.

Access to The Skywalk will run from dawn to dusk and will cost $25 per person in addition to the cost of a Grand Canyon West entrance package. One hundred and twenty people will be allowed on the bridge at a time. Admittance is first come, first serve for walk up visitors; however, reservations can be made. Guests will enter and exit the walkway via temporary buildings while the adjacent visitor’s center is being completed. Grand Canyon West plans to issue numbered shoe covers – in order to avoid scratches and slipping - to each visitor that enters the open-air walkway.

Prior to the public opening in March, Grand Canyon West will host a “First Walk” event for media and VIPs. The name of the first public figure to step on The Skywalk will be announced closer to the opening.

The historical rollout of The Skywalk structure, with the glass in place, is scheduled for February 27 to March 2. The initial part of the rollout process involves jacking the structure up off of the supports and then subjecting the structure to several days of thorough tests that replicate the conditions of final placement. After the final testing is complete, the multi-million pound steel enforced structure will be rolled out across the canyon’s edge, which takes multiple days. Immediately after the structure is in position, it will be seated and attached to the foundation. Details for a media event during the rollout will be revealed closer to the event.

Located at Grand Canyon West’s Eagle Point, The Skywalk facility will also include a 6,000 square-foot visitor’s center on three levels – underground, first story and second story – which will contain a museum, movie theater, VIP lounge, gift shop, and several restaurants and bars, including a high-end restaurant called The Skywalk Café that will offer outdoor patio and rooftop seating on the edge of the canyon. The second story will be where visitors can access The Skywalk glass walkway. The visitor’s center will also offer private indoor and outdoor facilities for meetings, special events and weddings.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    Whoever designed that thing as "open air" rather than totally enclosed is stupid! Some attorney is going to get rich off of the first person killed by jumping off of it. Yes your honor, my client was stupid and yes he/she jumped on purpose, however your honor in the spirit of the times we live in it obviously had to be someone else's fault, and we would like a check from them :(
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Stupid does Stupid ****, live on the smarter ones. F the stupid one and their Families because someone stupid did a stupid thing.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Couldn't you just as easily jump... from any of the miles along the rim of the Canyon? This doens't really add much convenience if you wanna jump.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Wow. I think I'd walk on it. Maybe. Gosh, I dunno.

Doesn't really look like it'd hold ~30 people, does it? Would appear a lot sturdier if it had some kind of supports out there at the end.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    janmike wrote:
    Anyone know if this is complete. This would be a cool place to take some awesome photos.
    Do they have earthquakes in arizona? looks kool otherwise. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    People jumping off of it? Read my signature.
  • janmike
    edited February 2007
    People get high from different things.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    I'll be at a resort on the GC next February....really looking forward to seeing this up close.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    I'd walk it, but I wouldn't pay 25 bucks to do it.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • janmike
    edited February 2007
    Great photos are a must Mark.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    Naturally. Hell, one of these jokers that live down that way should be hoofin' it up there for us :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    I'd probably have an unprepared bowel movement on that thing. I'd look at it from afar, but I'm not going on it. :)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    For the entry fee of $25 bucks what's included is a pair of Depends and a Barf bag.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    too bad for for 25.00 that they dont include a bungee drop also.:eek: I would gladly pay it then. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    NO They won't!!! I've been there & it was scary enough walking close to the edge.
    If you think the south rim is scarey ... Try the north rim sometime where the "guard rails" are about ankle height i.e. just enough to trip you into the abyss if you aren't paying attention ...

That paved path is about 3' wide with places along it where you have a choice of a 3000' drop on one side or a 4000' drop on the other ...