14th day without a cigerette

Options

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2006
    Options
    It's great to hear that I'm not alone,this forum and its awesome members are helping me more than you know...Thanks again for all of your support...

Steve,don't feel bad,I've tried to give it up more than once...and I'm trying again...nothing will happen if you don't at least try..
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Options
    When I went to quit this last time, my wife purchased the Nicotrol Inhaler. I tried it the first couple of days and I can tell you it is nastier than smoking...so what I did was take the plastic holder without the nicotine capsule and just kept that in my fingers and mouth from time to time. After a while, I just put it down. The biggest problem I had was that I gained like 30lbs. cause I was constantly eating to cut the physical cravings and then later the mental obsession. I also did a lot of praying.

After about a week the physical cravings ceased then shortly after that the mental stuff eased. Now it's like I never smoked. My wife quit for a while and she picked them up again and I never realized how God aweful the smell is and big time dragon breath. . .

Well hang in there Mike we are all pulling for you. Again, just don't pick up that first one.

Joe
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    When I went to quit this last time, my wife purchased the Nicotrol Inhaler. I tried it the first couple of days and I can tell you it is nastier than smoking...so what I did was take the plastic holder without the nicotine capsule and just kept that in my fingers and mouth from time to time. After a while, I just put it down. The biggest problem I had was that I gained like 30lbs. cause I was constantly eating to cut the physical cravings and then later the mental obsession. I also did a lot of praying.

After about a week the physical cravings ceased then shortly after that the mental stuff eased. Now it's like I never smoked. My wife quit for a while and she picked them up again and I never realized how God aweful the smell is and big time dragon breath. . .

Well hang in there Mike we are all pulling for you. Again, just don't pick up that first one.

Joe

Joe,It is a stinking,filthy,dirty habit...I centainly hope your health conditions improve with time...

I've seen people with oxygen tubes running out of their nose,puffen on a cigarette...

I don't want that to be the end game for me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Joe,It is a stinking,filthy,dirty habit...I centainly hope your health conditions improve with time...

I've seen people with oxygen tubes running out of their nose,puffen on a cigarette...

I don't want that to be the end game for me.

Mike just yesterday I was at a store when I guy pulled up in his car, took the oxygen tubes from his nose, jumped out of the car, looked around and went to the cigs store window and purchased a pack of Lucky Strikes, smoked one then got back in his car, put his O2 back on and left.

I'm sure this guy wants to quit more than anything in the world. . . it just goes to show how powerful that addiction is.

I'm telling you this chronic brochitis is a real ****. When I was still smoking I had really bad chest pains was coughing up 2 tablespoons of yuck in the mornings and it hurt when I inhaled AND I STILL COULDN'T QUIT. After six months I still get bouts of the inhaling pain and coughing up yuck. It takes years for CB to clear up and on some people it doesn't.

Don't get to that point before you actually do quit. . . keep on keeping on where you are now.

Joe
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey Mike,

I'm 6 months 10 Days without. . . smoked heavily 41 years. It took me two you years to quite. Don't pick up that first cig under any and all conditions. . . that urge passes quicker than you think. I have chronic brochitis (sp). I developed it four years ago and still couldn't quit. . .I'll shoot some prayers up for you ;) . . . DON'T PICK UP THAT FIRST ONE!!!

Joe

I've heard this from a few people. Don't let down your guard and think you can have just one or even a puff because that can put you right back where you started. congrats on 2 weeks and one more day tomorrow and the next...
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    One other warning . . . stay off the booze while going through the withdrawl. Nothing goes better with a drink than a smoke. Plus after a couple you'll let your guard down and think you can have a couple of smokes and stop after a drinking bout. . . I;ve tried it, it doesn't work you'll be right back to sucking down a pack or two a day!!!
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited October 2006
    Options
    it's not easy, that's for sure!...be strong and make the commitment to 'you'. the rewards are far greater than the actual act of smoking. it's nasty and stinky. fouls up your house and car and clothes. yellows your teeth. looks nasty too, to non-smokers. i quit during superbowl XX. i figured if i can get through this kind of party, i'll be alright. i turned to ben & jerry's for awhile. i'm not as skinny as i once was. but, i ran my 1st marathon 1/27/06 and i'll run my 2nd, 1/28/07. if i was still smoking NO WAY! GOOD LUCK!!!!;) :)
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats, Mike. I am sure it's not easy but it is sooo worth it. Hang in there.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Way to go Mike!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Stick with it, Mike! You'll be glad you decided to kick the habit when it's all over!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    My wife got home from the pulmonary doctor about an hour ago. She has the begining statges of chonic bronchitis (43 years old). The doc told her she had to quit. She now is wanting to smoke more because of the added stress of knowing that she has COPD.

MIKE don't pick up that first smoke. . . I know first hand how wanting to quit, having to quit, praying to quit, agonizing over needing to quit, makes it 1000 times harder to quit. If you haven't smoked the really hard part is over. Just don't look back or you will be turned into a pillar of salt with COPD.

COPD is too sterile. How about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. COPD increases the risk of cancer due to the, scarring of the lungs, nature of the disease.:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    My wife got home from the pulmonary doctor about an hour ago. She has the begining statges of chonic bronchitis (43 years old). The doc told her she had to quit. She now is wanting to smoke more because of the added stress of knowing that she has COPD.

MIKE don't pick up that first smoke. . . I know first hand how wanting to quit, having to quit, praying to quit, agonizing over needing to quit, makes it 1000 times harder to quit. If you haven't smoked the really hard part is over. Just don't look back or you will be turned into a pillar of salt with COPD.

COPD is too sterile. How about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. COPD increases the risk of cancer due to the, scarring of the lungs, nature of the disease.:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

This is exactly why I'm SERIOUS about getting through this and beating this addiction...

Show your wife this thread and let her know that she is not alone...Myself and others here are pulling for her.

Like I said,I smoked for 38 years,I'm now in my 17th day without a cigarette...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Good for you Mike; I quit on labor day 05, after being smoking 30 years; after six or seven months, was playing poker with some friends and decided I could have "one" cigarrette....BAD IDEA; as others say, DON'T TAKE THAT FIRST ONE, because odds are that you'll get back smoking....more than before.

I am quitting again any day.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Keep up the good work! You get past that habit and there will be that much more money to go towards this habit.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    jhermance wrote:
    Keep up the good work! You get past that habit and there will be that much more money to go towards this habit.

That's rich:D I don't know which habit is worse...I do know which is more enjoyable
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats on being a non-smoker! It really isn't hard, you just have to not do it and have a real good reason to keep not doing it. I just said eff it one day and quit. I took all the money I would have spent in the next year and bought myself a keyboard I had been wanting. Put it on the card. Eff it. My promise to myself was I had to sell it the first time I picked up another smoke.

Here you go, buy something expensive you want now without thinking about it. If you smoke again whatever you bought goes up for sale and your complete audio system must go. Set up the rules right and you have no choice but to never smoke again.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Set up the rules right and you have no choice but to never smoke again.
    madmax

If I get an urge here or there, I remember how it took me two years of freaking out trying to quit while my chest hurt, couldn't breathe, sore throats, hacking up nuclear waste, weeks of bronchitis along with the chronic bronchitis, etc, etc.

My rule is to remember how extremely hard and how long it took to actually quit in the first place.:mad:

I like your idea Chuck where the immediate pain is in the pocket book and then the loss of the rig.:eek:
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Here you go, buy something expensive you want now without thinking about it. If you smoke again whatever you bought goes up for sale and your complete audio system must go. Set up the rules right and you have no choice but to never smoke again.

madmax[/QUOTE]

Damn Max...my complete audio system has to go...you set down some pretty tough rules to live by...but I like the way your thinken:D
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    For me, I have to play games to get done what I want. And hey, if it becomes yet another excuse to spend money I don't have on things I want but don't need then so much the better. :)

Besides, My initial expense in this matter was $1100. Each year afterwards I do it again. Well, I haven't lately but I did for a few years. But, in the final analysis I would have spent the same money anyway plus future doctor bills etc. Besides, I finally figured out I was constantly waiting for that "pleasure time with a smoke" rather than having a pleasurable time for the better part of the day. You just don't think that way when you are waiting for your next smoke.
    madmax

• Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hell,I was in my first week without a smoke and bought a pair of SRS 2.3's for my reward:D

I'm thinking this no cigarette thing might turn into an awesome 2-channel rig one day!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hell,I was in my first week without a smoke and bought a pair of SRS 2.3's for my reward:D

I'm thinking this no cigarette thing might turn into an awesome 2-channel rig one day!!!
    Great attitude, keep it up!
  • madmax
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hey, whatever it costs you in the short term is nothing compared to the long term benifits. Now, whip out that card. :D
    madmax

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2006
    Options
    I'm on day 13,425 of not smoking:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    krabby5 wrote:
    I'm on day 13,425 of not smoking:D

That's AWESOME,I would think you would be less "krabby" by now:D
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Lemme see, here,...

17 x 365....+...31+28+31+30+31+30+31+31+30+12......=....
    6205....+....285....=....
    6490 days

Hmm. That doesn't sound like a long time.

6490 x 24 = 155,760
    155760 x 60 = 9,345,600

There, that sounds better. :D

9,345,600 minutes I have been free from cigarettes! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Damn,I've been approx. 1,140 minutes without a cigarette.

You guys are setting the bar pretty high:D
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just keep trucking! And buying expensive audio gear you can't afford. You'll get there!!

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just seeing the prices of cigarettes at stores, I would think the money saved alone would be a pretty big reason to quit. But I have never been addicted so I don't know the feeling.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Instead of spending that money on cigs, you can spend it on gas! At least you will be able to take yourself somewhere!

YOU CAN DO IT! GO MIKE GO!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That's AWESOME,I would think you would be less "krabby" by now:D

nope...13425 days ago, I was born krabby:o
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub