14th day without a cigerette

Mike Reeter
Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm 2 weeks in without a smoke,of anykind...I hope to maintain this streak for rest of my life.

To those of you how have kicked the habit and to those of you that are still addicted to this drug...you know where I'm coming from.

To those of you that have enough sense to have never picked up a cigarette,I doubt if you know were I'm at...That's O.K.:D

I've been a smoker for the past 38 years...
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Awesome! Hang in there! You can do it! We're pulling for you!!!

Just think of all that money you can now put towards more audio gear! :D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement,I'm into my 3rd beer this afternoon and a smoke sounds pretty good...but,,,,I'm hangin' in there.

And,yes I plan on "rewarding" myself as time goes on:D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2006
    My one year anniversary was August 16. I puffed Cigar a couple times since, but no biggie. The addiction was the toughest one, and stoggies doesn't seem to give me any. This is after 24 years of puffing, half of it was on Marlboro Light.

Congrats, Mike! all those nasty stains will slowly dissapear from your life. Keep it up. Believe me, I know how it feels.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    WTG Mike! I will be pulling for you to kick the habit once & for all!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    polkatese wrote:
    My one year anniversary was August 16. I puffed Cigar a couple times since, but no biggie. The addiction was the toughest one, and stoggies doesn't seem to give me any. This is after 24 years of puffing, half of it was on Marlboro Light.

Congrats, Mike! all those nasty stains will slowly dissapear from your life. Keep it up. Believe me, I know how it feels.

Congrats on your milestone of over a year...I can deal with the physical withdraws...it's the "headgame" I have trouble with...
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited October 2006
    I've never smoked but I don't deny that it's a huge challenge to stop. Congrats. Hope you're able to hang in there!!!!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2006
    I only smoked for a couple of years, so I'm not sure if the quitting is the same, but I found after two weeks it definitley got a lot easier. When drinking is really the only time I have the urge, and sometimes I'll just succumb to it because I don't drink that often anyways.

Keep it up though!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited October 2006
    Way to go.
    It's definitely NOT easy, but well worth the effort.
    June 14, 2003 was my stop day ( I never say quit... one can always fall off the wagon).
    I would advise keeping alcohol use to a minimum; somehow it is linked to
    cigarettes for some people, so I kinda quit drinking too, although I still enjoy
    the occasional beer.
    Two weeks is great for you. The urge really dissipates after three weeks, but like everything else, your results may vary.

Good luck, and congrats.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    polrbehr wrote:
    Way to go.
    It's definitely NOT easy, but well worth the effort.
    June 14, 2003 was my stop day ( I never say quit... one can always fall off the wagon).
    I would advise keeping alcohol use to a minimum; somehow it is linked to
    cigarettes for some people, so I kinda quit drinking too, although I still enjoy
    the occasional beer.
    Two weeks is great for you. The urge really dissipates after three weeks, but like everything else, your results may vary.

Good luck, and congrats.

I've never said "quit" myself...Cigarettes to me, are like a drink to a recovering alcoholic...1 is too many and a 100 is not enough...A few beers I can handle without a smoke,it's that morning coffee that tests my will:D
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited October 2006
    I started smoking when I was 13 and I quit when I was 40, that was 13 years ago! I had been smoking 1 1/2 packs a day for a long time and one day I just decided to quit! It's tough but you can do it!!!!!!!

Hang in there..as time passes so do the urges!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2006
    Just start punching people in the face to help with the cravings.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Roy Munson wrote:
    I started smoking when I was 13 and I quit when I was 40, that was 13 years ago! I had been smoking 1 1/2 packs a day for a long time and one day I just decided to quit! It's tough but you can do it!!!!!!!

Hang in there..as time passes so do the urges!

Roy,You and I are the age,I started when I was 15 years young...I also have ran through about a pack and a half a day..

I did some rough math and I have put about 300,000 cigs. into my system over the years.

I feel like I have pushed the envelope as about as far as I should have...and then some...
  • polkatese
    edited October 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    Just start punching people in the face to help with the cravings.

yes, that's definitely how I felt for about 6 months. I think there were quite a few drive through McDonalds close early when they saw my car coming.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited October 2006
    Doro always knows just what to say. :p

Go like hell Mike - well done and stay the course.

Cheers!

Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    I'm 2 weeks in without a smoke,of anykind...I hope to maintain this streak for rest of my life.

To those of you how have kicked the habit and to those of you that are still addicted to this drug...you know where I'm coming from.

To those of you that have enough sense to have never picked up a cigarette,I doubt if you know were I'm at...That's O.K.:D

I've been a smoker for the past 38 years...

Hey Mike,

I'm 6 months 10 Days without. . . smoked heavily 41 years. It took me two you years to quite. Don't pick up that first cig under any and all conditions. . . that urge passes quicker than you think. I have chronic brochitis (sp). I developed it four years ago and still couldn't quit. . .I'll shoot some prayers up for you ;) . . . DON'T PICK UP THAT FIRST ONE!!!

Joe
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2006
    While not quite as unhealthy as smoking, I wish I would quit biting my finger nails. I can't remember ever not biting them and I'm well into 28. Good luck.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited October 2006
    Never picked up the habit myself but my wife did. She quit 8 years ago and never looked back. Father in law did the same, woke up one day and decided enough was enough. Both have been smoke free for years and love it.

Persevere, it's worth it!
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    Thanks again guys/gals...I'm commited to getting through this...I told my family to get ready for the ugly in me,I've not been too rough yet,but I have a good feeling of what PMS is all about:D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    Keep it up Mike, you can do it. Did a whole pile of test a week ago and the Doc is trying to get me to quit. I just have to say I want to.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    I-SIG wrote:
    While not quite as unhealthy as smoking, I wish I would quit biting my finger nails. I can't remember ever not biting them and I'm well into 28. Good luck.

Wes

Wes, Take a look at your hands more often. When you see what they look like and what they could look like, it may change your mind. You can do it.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited October 2006
    Are you taking any medications to help you quit?

Bupoprion and the new Chantix are great medications to aide you in your quest to be smoke-free.

It's a great choice not to smoke... keep it up! I'll be rooting for you.

Your health will improve and you will have less risk factors for many diseases. Great great great job!!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited October 2006
    Roy,You and I are the age,I started when I was 15 years young...I also have ran through about a pack and a half a day..

I did some rough math and I have put about 300,000 cigs. into my system over the years.

I feel like I have pushed the envelope as about as far as I should have...and then some...

With the high price of cigarettes think of all that extra cash you'll have to buy gear!!! Add it up and you might be shocked how much you burn up in just one week, or one month, or...

Hang in there bro..you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited October 2006
    Mike,
    Good for you. You are on the right track. I know what you are going through and wish you much luck. You will battle this for the rest of your life. The last time I smoke was only back in April. I stopped smoking on and off for years and fell many times. Somtimes things in your life (stress, drinking) will make you want a smoke, but be strong.
    Bill
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2006
    Mike congrats at quitting. I started smoling when i was 13 as well and i have still yet to quit. I went on the patch a few months ago and lasted an entire three weeks and then fell off the wagon. Ask ohskigod was an **** i was off of the smokes. Hopefully you have stronger willpower then me and can stay quit. I am going to try again as hearing these stories does inspire me to quit. Mike how did you quit? patch, pills, cold turkey? again congrats.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2006
    I've been taking a product called Commit,it is a nicotine lozenge,same concept as any other "stop smoking aid" you are still putting nicotine in your system,just not with a cigarette.

They help a lot with the physical withdraws,and after a couple weeks you start taking a lower dosage.And eventually "wean off"

I and many others can tell you,there is no magic pill or drug that is going to keep you from smoking...You have to WANT TO...I made a commitment to my family and myself that I would do everything in my power to beat this addiction...

15 days later,I'm still on the wagon:D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited October 2006
    Screw it man,go have a smoke!:p :)
    [KIDDIN,KIDDIN]
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkatese
    edited October 2006
    Mike, that what I used to, Commit lozenge. I had it for 12 weeks, initially popped one almost every 3 hours during the day. Side-effect for me was canker sores, but hey, it works! The WILL has to be there for sure, otherwise it ain't matter.

You can do it!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2006
    I've smoked since 15, and I'm 44 now. It's a tough habit to break. I did quit once for 45 days while in Desert Storm, I felt really good, slept better, etc, etc---but I had a weak moment, and I was back to smoking. Anytime you have a weak moment, immediately find something to do--within 2 minutes you'll forget all about it.

The three or four times I've quit, the "short term" (first 7 days) wasn't tough for me, it was the long term.

Best of luck brotha, hang tough.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    I stopped smoking over three years ago, after 22 years of smoking Camels. The best way to quit is COLD-TURKEY!!! You'll feel the withdrawals for about a week or so, then it starts to get better after that.

Good Luck and put the cig money into the gear fund.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"