PSW10 Rumbling and bumps in the night

Options
blouden
blouden Posts: 4
edited October 2006 in Troubleshooting
I recently bought a PSW10 and have been struggling with getting it to work properly. It seems it rumbles or emits random low-frequency pops, thumps, etc. unrelated to the sound from the source. In fact, just sitting there turned on with no source input, it makes these sounds. (Sometimes it actually sounds like someone is in my attic.) :confused:

I've tried different cables; set my speakers to large, small, tried varying the crossover freq and turned the volume down to minimum...I've tried the phase at 0 and 180. Nothing seems to stop these noises. I am beginning to think that it must be defective and not an installation problem. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

My setup is:

Denon AVR-1706
Polk CSi25 Center
Polk M50 Towers
Mitek rear ceililng
Polk Sub PSW10
Post edited by blouden on

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Does it rumble with NO input? By that I mean nothing connected to the input. If it does then it is broken IMHO.

Try moving it to see if there is rumbling related to the movement, lose wire???
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Try a different circuit in the house, and try using a surge / noise suppresor. I've had guys with subs popping off and on with the fridge, a/c etc.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited October 2006
    Options
    That's a good idea Russ. I had a high frequency buzz on FM that would go on and off for 5 to 10 seconds. It drove me nuts for 3 months. I unplugged every appliance in the house and even had an electrician wire a separate circuit to the electronics. I tried surge protectors and an isolation transformer. Nothing worked.

Then I unplugged the battery charger for my drill. The buzz was gone.