Are We Insane?

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2006
    Thanks. I would never go with a city or municipality agency as they are notoriously shaky on the pension bit. I am with the State and they have the best retirement. It is a good idea to save though.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2006
    Well said Shack-daddy.

I get a lot of good natured ribbing that TLW and I live beneath our means.....however, when I decide to hang them up, I want to be able to do so comfortably. If that means that I don't get the new car smell as often, in the end, that's fine with me.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    Very well said Shack! Most company pensions are going the way of the Dodo Bird! If you aren't putting as much as you can into your 401k or whatever equivelent you've got, you are in for a rude awakening come retirement. And that will be at 65 for some of you or 67 for the others.

So get hopping on those 401k's IRA's & other outside sources as much as you can!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2006
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    Well, just to get on the serious area, I don't spend what I don't have...You won't see my credit cards with a balance...but, occasionally (like this week) I definitely spend more than I should, which leads to find out ways to cut on other expenses to balance things out. It might take a couple or three months to get back on track, but IMO it's worth it, and as someone mentioned, as long as the basics are covered, no harm. There is though one good thing with this hobby (as someone else mentioned)...you can always sell something if you need some extra cash.

Ok; back to looking at audio racks :)

Great advise . . . my rule of thumb is: If I can replace the money within two months I can buy it. If it is going to take longer than that, NO GO, until some money saved. I too have no credit card balances . . .I hate legal loan sharks they charge 15% to 28% interest on revolving balances . . . EFF :eek: them:D , I'll pay it off each month.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    shack wrote:
    Anyone under 50 thinks that they will be able to retire based on SS, Govt/Municipalities pension, defined benefit plans may be in for a rude awakening. Darla, be very wary of your cop pension. Many city pension plans are grossly underfunded, with the logic that future taxes will cover the shortfall. Same with social security. Company plans could be in trouble as well (but of course there is the govt to bail them out...supposedly). Most pension plans have been based on inflated earnings esitmates, over-estimation of future contributions, and GROSS under-estimation of life spans. Even the so called guaranteed plans are having issues because of medical insuance guarantees and life expectancy. Sure the Govt. pension insurance fund can step in and MAY continue with a percentage of what was promised (60% ±), but if enough fail that may be a problem.

I know I have a good amount "promised" to me when I retire for the rest of my life. It may or may not be there. Since my wife and I are over 50 we are allowed to invest "catch up" funds into our 401-Ks over and above the 6% allowed for tax deferment. We each can put in about $17,000 per year tax deferred. That plus the 6% of our salaries that our companies match means we are socking away a substantial amount each year. Even though I have a reasonable expectaion that we will be able to collect our pensions and SS because of our age, I'm not counting on it. Based on what I'm saving, company contributions and what I already have... if I retire at 65...with moderate inflation, an average rate of return between 5-7%, and no catestrophic illness, I should be able to live comfortably until I'm 85 or 90. SS and my company pension is gravy if I collect it. Sure I may die tomorrow and never spend a penny (my wife will be a wealthy widow) but I'm doing pretty good now and and it's nice to know it will be there when I retire. I've got plenty of toys to keep me occupied for now. And when the kids are both out of college in 2 and 4 years it will be like getting a $25,000 a year tax free raise. (I'm thinking Porsche.....)

Seriously, If you are young and can afford it...put some back...now. The time value of money is a wonderful thing. You will be glad you did.

RIGHT ON SHACK!!! If you are young, even if you think you have all the retirement & pension bases covered double up and rethink your situation. . . I wrote about what happened to me in another thread and am now on SSD (maximum amount) and I can tell you I was living very well and putting a lot of money away for retirement. . . the maximum amount of SSD is a meager existance. Do your homework, get some solid advice, THEN YOU CAN REALLY ENJOY THIS OBSESION WE HAVE!
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2006
    I like talking about this stuff better than the politics and **** & **** stuff. . .I've unsubscribed from those thread and am strickly staying with this audio/video 2 ch rig obsessions.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    dorokusai wrote:

Really? Do you like ING? They are who my current company's 401-K is with. They seem to do ok handling our plan. I don't use any of their funds opting for a couple of Vanguard and T-Rowe Price funds that are availble to us. I don't like mutual funds as a general rule so I'm real picky when it comes to choosing a fund to invest in since indivdiual stocks are not an option in our company plan.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2006
    shack wrote:
    Anyone under 50 thinks that they will be able to retire based on SS, Govt/Municipalities pension, defined benefit plans may be in for a rude awakening. Most pension plans have been based on inflated earnings esitmates, over-estimation of future contributions, and GROSS under-estimation of life spans. Even the so called guaranteed plans are having issues because of medical insuance guarantees and life expectancy. Sure the Govt. pension insurance fund can step in and MAY continue with a percentage of what was promised (60% ±), but if enough fail that may be a problem.

Another thing to remeber is that the Goverenment run Pension Guarantee Fund will cover about 90% of your pension up to a maximaum of $25,000 per year That's all! so if you were dues say $5,000 a month pension from your company and they default on your pension, you will get less than half of what you were counting on. All the more fuel to get into a 401K ASAP. I tell our new hires at Westinghouse to contribute the maximum (6%) that the company offers to match when they start. They will never miss the money going from college to $50K per year. Then each year when they get a raise, increase your contribution by 1%. If you do this, you will never miss the money since it's coming at raise time. And if you stay with the company say 10 years, you will already be saving 16% of your salary to a 401K. Change jobs, start out at 16% and continue from there. At age 55 you will be contributing about 40% of your income (not all tax sheltered) but there are Roth IRA's and other investment products that can help earn gains tax free. Most of all get a financial advisor while your young. Take it from this 53 year old that didn't do this plan. If I did, I would have several million in the retirement account right now. Instead, I'm still working and scraping for audio money.
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    My retirement adjusted for inflation will be about 75k a year or so. 18 years from now that is no big whoop so I am investing other places also.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2006
    I'm definately in the wrong line of work...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Ha! So am I but it pays well...as long as I can get through another 17 years.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2006
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    When this wretched sickness takes you through the wall and you begin to obsess over the wiring behind the curtains....

then your brain has curdled and you have reached the point of no return.

Like Cokeheads snorting plaster of paris off the carpet...

I'm talking to you Bobby and Whitney
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    You're deranged. I like that in a person.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2006
    To the original question, YES.

Truthfully, I have many more hours spent studying about all things audio than I have in my 4 year degree. MANY more... :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    When I retire all I want is for that beautiful eagle to fly over and drop the payload every month.

RT1
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    I remember the Eagle shitting about the 3rd of each month for all my Vietnam
    Vet buddies back in college.

Funny thing about those eagles, when they get fed less, they **** less.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2006
    just be sure not to neglect other hobbies you may possess.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    What if your other hobby is eating flies and singing sea chanteys?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited October 2006
    I tend to think everyone should have a hobby.
    I like my HT and I love to show it off occasionally.
    I hate my crack habbit and relly should sell off my crack gear for new HT gear before I do the opposite.

Anyone want to buy a crak pipe?
    I have thousands invested in it and it works better than new.

Of course I am kidding.

I would never sell my pipe.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2006
    I am a sparrow happily buried in a nice warm dung pile. The thing about my uncle is he always pays as promised he just changes the promise to subsequent folks along the continuum.

RT1
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    Absolutely.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    TroyD wrote: »

Again, I wish you'd reconsider or just retire already...

Still looking for a military guy with experience in supply ops....

Investments? My wife's addicted to them. Did the numbers and our living expenses are about 30% of our gross income, the rest is going to taxes or investments.- Working to improve my "toy" budget.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2008
    The trick for me is to get gear that I am happy with, then just add small tweeks to it to get the most I can out of what I have...

It`s a hobby, it`s an obsession, but if you invest in good gear you can get back most of what you have into it later..

as far as the future, that`s not a given...you have today, but tomorrow is promised to no one..

Blue said it best.....no one get`s out alive

If it`s what makes you happy, then it`s worth every penny...

Isn`t that the whole idea...be happy , and live well......or at least as well as possible with what you have to work with ?

I spend more than I actually have sometimes, but it makes my everyday life much better when I can put on some music, and enjoy it ...it makes all the bad crap of the day fade, and put`s a smile on my face.....

One day I hope to catch up and break even on my audio spending, and retire with enough to still enjoy life....but who knows if my 401k is going to make that possible....Social security is a gamble at best...

Music is a must in my life...the rest will work it`s self out somehow...I will just have to work and invest that much harder for the future..

but for now...
    Enjoy the music
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    I tend to buy whatever I really want and have never once been sorry I bought a superior product or been sorry I spent to much. Now if thats crazy or insane then I am. The voices told me to type this so I did.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2008
    I just did an A/B interconnect test where I have two identical outputs from a CD player connected to two inputs on my pre that I could switch between seamlessly. One was an Audioquest Diamondback IC and the other a generic $25 Monster IC. In MY system, with MY ears, and in MY room, both cables sound identical - absolutely without a doubt in my mind identical, no difference. Yet.... I feel the need to upgrade the rest of my interconnects to the Audioquest Diamondbacks. Go figure.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    The extra cost is because they cables imprint a subliminal message in your audio that says you need to upgrade the rest of your cables :)
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Everything in moderation. Instead of adding stuff, rotate what ya got. I started out w/
    RM10, moved up to monitor 30's, then 60's. Now I'm looking at a pr. of RTi12's for $736.00
    IF I buy them, my whole HT rig is going into the FS section, to pay for the AMPS!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2008
    Like they say over at head-fi to newbies,
    "sorry about your wallet"
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson