Are We Insane?

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Does anyone else feel like they are totally nuts with this 'hobby'. I was explaining to a friend yesterday that I have spent too much dough on my HT and she said " Well, you have it and it's done now, right?" Ummm......Yes?

Then I started wondering if I will ever be done? I mean there will always be a power cord here and an interconnect there. Technologies will change and I will want to keep up. At some point this stuff starts to own you instead of vice versa and I really don't want that. Anyone else having a bit of a struggle with this?
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    What? Never heard of that. Why?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2006
    The moments of levity definitely stand in stark contrast to The Obsession.
    It is a madness, as I'm sure most hobbies are. The unfortunate caveat of ours is that it is abetted by a host of enablers:D

btw I think some people find peace by drawing the line at IC's... however I do not:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    LOL! Darla it is up to you to draw the line & say enough I'm going to be content. You already have power chords & you already have IC's. Be content with those, or else spend the rest of your life & tons of money always looking for the next best thing that may or may not help.

In short you have turned into a hopeless gambler.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2006
    I'm at work responding to this, so I think that should answer something about how addicting the hobby is. I'm not even listening to music or buying anything right now, but it's still on my mind.

If you think about how much time you actually spend listening to music critically or loudly enough to enjoy the thousands of dollars and hours you've spent creating the system of your dreams, it seems a little askew.

But, gear is too much fun to shop for and buy, and it's too easy to justify with things like "I've already spent ___ on my system, and I can make it sound that much better by only spending ____ more." Or, "if I buy it used, I can sell it later on without losing anything."

Using that justification, I have closets full of an endless supply of spare parts, wires, etc., a storage area full of boxes so I can move/ship my gear if/when needed, a lesser bank account, and speakers in every nook and cranny of a 800 sq. foot apartment. . . an apartment in which I will get a note on my door anytime I watch a movie or listen to music with the system past 8pm.

But, it sure beats being addicted to drugs! Crack is whack, and unlike our gear, you can't resell it once you've used it.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2006
    Yes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    It's way more expensive than being addicted to crack.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Hahahahahahahaha, I doubt that.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • AndyGwis
    edited October 2006
    Well, gross cost may be greater for Audio than Crack in a given year.

However, again, audio has less sunk cost than crack because of the resale factor. And, I may not be working, but I am at work which keeps me getting paid. If I was on crack, I wouldn't be at work, therefore wouldn't be getting paid, ergo crack would be more expensive than audio.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited October 2006
    "Just say no to HiFi":)
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    What's HiFi?

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Damn, that reminds me....I need to stop at CVS to get some lip balm....I burnt my lip on my crack pipe last night............NOT!!!!:p
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2006
    Darla - see the thread in 2 ch forum about just enjoying your system! I like to get new stuff as much or more than anyone else! It's amazing that a lot of times I don't enjoy what I have because something else has caught my attention. Then when I do take the time to just set back and relax and enjoy a movie, I realize that what I have is better than I ever realized. At some point you have to focus on the enjoyment part of the hobby.

Now, I just need to keep repeating the advice I gave you to myself :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    Right now I am sitting back enjoying music.....I think.....there cannot be anything that sounds better than this...but...still buying to improve it....the itch...the itch....:mad: :mad:

SOPA
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    Okay here is the ultimate in obsessed audiophilia. I found out that high end audio and analog is still alive and well three months ago after being away from it for 15 years. Just like any addictive drug or booze I got in one day and have been totally hooked again. In three months I have spent exactly, $4150 in equipment not to mention magazine subscriptions, DVD on turntable set etc, etc, etc and will be spending more on a very good cd player (est $600 to $800), a new high end cartridge (est $500 to $1000) for my current high end turntable & tonearm, ICs (>$1k) & speaker cables (est $500) and a wet/vacuum record cleaning machine (est. $700).

HERE IS THE KICKER: My wife and I are currently renting with family THAT MEANS THAT ALL THE EQUIPMENT I HAVE IS CURRENTLY IN BOXES and I can't listen to one note of music at home until I buy my new house.

IF THIS ISN'T A SICKNESS I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!!!

But I love it, I love talking about it, I love reading about it, I love thinking about it, I love OBSESSING ABOUT IT.

Does that answer your question?
    Joe
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    rofl...that's pretty bad...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • AndyGwis
    edited October 2006
    And, that brings our tally to. . .

Hearingimpaired's audio addiction: 1
    Whitney Houston's Crack addiction: 0
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    I don't even want to add up the $$$ I have spent in the last 3 months. I think my head would spin.

You are right Cathy, at some point I just have to say "okay, this is it".

[SIZE="-5"]........so the PS Audio power cords I got today are absolutely it!:o [/SIZE]
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006

If you're gonna quit, the first thing you gotta give up is this forum. These guys on here talk about things you never dreamed needed upgrading, and the next thing you know, you're buying it.

I'm looking at DACS right now...Damn, damn, damn.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    If you're gonna quit, the first thing you gotta give up is this forum. These guys on here talk about things you never dreamed needed upgrading, and the next thing you know, you're buying it.

I'm looking at DACS right now...Damn, damn, damn.

I have thought about it. What a bunch of enabling, bad influences you guys are!It's all your fault!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2006
    They only thing that saves me is no one in my town can have a conversation with me without getting lost in the money aspect and lingo of this hobbie. I have the best HT in my area and thier is no one to be competitive with.:D
    I guess that helps - but if you are really into this hobbie there is no such thing as saving money............... no such thing as being done..............
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2006
    I know that this is an addiction and here's how I know:

My wife says, "Joe, please don't buy anymore audio equipment until we move into the new house." I say, with all sincerity and mean it from the bottom of my heart, "I won't honey I'll wait." That was two weeks ago. Friday two audiophile CDs and a $250 audiophile rack arrived . . . I need some serious help!!! Is there an AA??? Audiophiles Anonymous.

PS: The DAC was the first piece of equipment I purchased.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    As long as the wife's content, the kids are fed and clothed, the bills are paid, and there's money going into investments/saving, what else are you going to spend your money on? Toys, interests, hobbies, trips. Enjoy what brings you passion. Life is short and no one is getting out of here alive.
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    What's investments/savings????? Would a nice amp that I am sure will make my system sound better be considered an investment?

:D

SOPA
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    What's investments/savings????? Would a nice amp that I am sure will make my system sound better be considered an investment?

:D
    Absolutely!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2006
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D:D:D

I don't even want to add up the $$$ I have spent in the last 3 months. I think my head would spin.

[SIZE="-5"]........so the PS Audio power cords I got today are absolutely it!:o [/SIZE]
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    What's investments/savings?????

The stuff I'm going to live off of when I retire. I'll be sure to say hello to you on my way in to Walmart when I stop to pick up some sun tan lotion...;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2006
    I guess I am lucky with my job. I retire when I am 55 and get a paycheck for the rest of my life.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited October 2006
    I have to agree with Shack, one reason I don't spend as much as I could is I contribute extra to my pension and I have savings on the side along with my bi-weekly contributions to my RRSP. As much as I'd love to have it all now, if I did what would I have to look forward to? this way I get the best of both worlds. Plus a priority for us right now is travel. Heck with all the trips my wife and I took this year, I could have almost bought a whole new system.

One thing my wife does say to friends when they ask about our system " you know he could be spending his money on booze and drugs and or even sleazy strip clubs".

My goal is to have my ultimate system by the time I retire. That way I can spend as much time as I wish sitting back and enjoying, and I do plan on an early retirement around 55. (24yrs to go)
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2006
    Well, just to get on the serious area, I don't spend what I don't have...You won't see my credit cards with a balance...but, occasionally (like this week) I definitely spend more than I should, which leads to find out ways to cut on other expenses to balance things out. It might take a couple or three months to get back on track, but IMO it's worth it, and as someone mentioned, as long as the basics are covered, no harm. There is though one good thing with this hobby (as someone else mentioned)...you can always sell something if you need some extra cash.

Ok; back to looking at audio racks :)

SOPA
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2006
    Anyone under 50 thinks that they will be able to retire based on SS, Govt/Municipalities pension, defined benefit plans may be in for a rude awakening. Darla, be very wary of your cop pension. Many city pension plans are grossly underfunded, with the logic that future taxes will cover the shortfall. Same with social security. Company plans could be in trouble as well (but of course there is the govt to bail them out...supposedly). Most pension plans have been based on inflated earnings esitmates, over-estimation of future contributions, and GROSS under-estimation of life spans. Even the so called guaranteed plans are having issues because of medical insuance guarantees and life expectancy. Sure the Govt. pension insurance fund can step in and MAY continue with a percentage of what was promised (60% ±), but if enough fail that may be a problem.

I know I have a good amount "promised" to me when I retire for the rest of my life. It may or may not be there. Since my wife and I are over 50 we are allowed to invest "catch up" funds into our 401-Ks over and above the 6% allowed for tax deferment. We each can put in about $17,000 per year tax deferred. That plus the 6% of our salaries that our companies match means we are socking away a substantial amount each year. Even though I have a reasonable expectaion that we will be able to collect our pensions and SS because of our age, I'm not counting on it. Based on what I'm saving, company contributions and what I already have... if I retire at 65...with moderate inflation, an average rate of return between 5-7%, and no catestrophic illness, I should be able to live comfortably until I'm 85 or 90. SS and my company pension is gravy if I collect it. Sure I may die tomorrow and never spend a penny (my wife will be a wealthy widow) but I'm doing pretty good now and and it's nice to know it will be there when I retire. I've got plenty of toys to keep me occupied for now. And when the kids are both out of college in 2 and 4 years it will be like getting a $25,000 a year tax free raise. (I'm thinking Porsche.....)

Seriously, If you are young and can afford it...put some back...now. The time value of money is a wonderful thing. You will be glad you did.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson