Ken or someone please help - tweeter problem

Options
phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
I've just noticed that when I play something that is somewhat bass heavy, the tweeter in my left R40 sounds as though their is air escaping from it - or that it is blown. It's odd.

The right R40 does not do this.

When I cover the port it stops. If I cover the tweeter it stops (as well as any highs).

How can I fix this?

Thanks!
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    This is weird, it actually sounds like the tweeter is trying to produce the lower frequencies. I think it's just air though, because I can feel the air coming out from the tweeter :(
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited July 2002
    Options
    phuz,

The one thing you can try is put that tweeter in the other speaker and see if it makes the same sound. If it does then you know it is bad. If the tweeter from the good speaker is put in the speaker that is having the problems and it makes the "air" sound then I would think the cross over is bad. This is what I would try, good luck.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Options
    It's possible the gasket was not seated properly from the factory and it not sealing now? When you pull the tweeter, check the seal on the gasket! Just a thought?
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Not sure about the crossover, and I've checked for some sort of gasket and haven't fouind one. :) There is a little foam inside, but it's identical on both.

I'll try switching the tweets tonight.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Hello Aaron,
    Thanks for letting us know of your situation. If I had to venture a guess, I would say your tweeter is producing distortion which can often give an "escaping air" quality to the sound. The tweeter is a sealed device, there isn't an open back that could allow air to come through. The faceplate, of the tweeter, is resting in a channeled cutout of the baffle and is very air tight. If you could please contact me at kswauger@polkaudio.com I'll be happy to send a replacement tweeter directly to you, it's very easy to exchange them.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks Ken, the email has been sent. :)

This is going to sound odd, but I'm about 99% sure that some sort of air is coming through. I can put my face near the tweeter and feel the air hitting my lips and nose... I can even smell/taste the air coming from inside the enclosure. I did notice that the tweeter is sealed, so I'm baffled on where the air is coming from. I think a good start is to replace the tweeter though.

Thanks again.
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I can put my face near the tweeter and feel the air hitting my lips and nose... I can even smell/taste the air coming from inside the enclosure.

Man....talk about taking chances....I will reframe:D
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by nascarmann

Uhhh... what?
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Nothing.....running my mouth again!:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by nascarmann

He means "refrain."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Thanks F1nut.....keep me in line:D
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Ok now explain what you meant. :)
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Options
    No....it's over....let it be..........
  • phuz
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Got the tweeter today and replaced the old with the new. Big improvement, but I'm starting to think I need to set my R40's to small. :\

Thanks a million for your quick and efficient response Ken! More kudos for Polk customer service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2002
    Options
    You're welcome Aaron, glad to be of help.
    Enjoy, Ken
  • bojangles89
    bojangles89 Posts: 4
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Just wanted to warn you that setting your speakers to small will not stop these tweeters from blowing. I have always run mine as small and the tweeters in both my R-40's have blown twice. I know for sure they blow once in the past and now they again sound like they blew. Exactly the same flat sound as before. Only thing that would help is not to play them loud I guess....With that said I still like Polk products and their support is good as you probably already knew. Just too bad that tweeter was a 3/4" I think a 1" tweeter and heavier duty would make these much better speakers. I guess I'll just check and see if they will replace these tweeters for me again or something maybe the crossover causes the tweeters to be likely to blow? Thats just a guess and I think it's probably just that their too small. It's pretty discouraging that this happened again. :''(
    Harman Kardon AVR 520
    Sony 5-disc DVP-NC600 dvd player
    Polk R-40 fronts
    Polk Csi-30 center
    Paradigm Performance Series ADP-170 Ver.3 surrounds
    AR PS112 sub
    Samsung tv with 16:9 aspect ratio
    (unfortunatly not true wide screen)