static

Options
cubanforever16
cubanforever16 Posts: 2
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
I recently bought an audio setup (pioneer receiver, two r50 floorstanding speakers, and a psw10 sub). I have it all hooked up to my computer and most of the time at certain times during songs there is static. It will usually be at a certain frequency such as someone singing. There will be a slight crackling/static sound. This never happened before this new setup and I also have xm radio hooked up to the receiver which doesn't produce the static. Volume level also doesn't matter, the static is always there. It won't always be both channels but usually is. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks...
Post edited by cubanforever16 on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,559
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Try a set of headphones on the reciever to see if you hear the static there.
    Also, try the headphones on the pc output(or a set of amplified speakers).
    Try inputting the pc to a different set of rca's on the receiver(cd/aux/tape).
    Try the speakers connected on a different output(speaker A/B).
    There may be a noisey connection through a switch or speaker relay.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited September 2006
    Options
    What sucks2bme said +:

Try different wires.

Make sure your pc volume is adjusted to the magic in-between point. As loud as it can go (better signal to noise), without distorting the signal (over-driving).

If your sound card has spdif/digital out, it is usually better to use that, than analog to a receiver.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • cubanforever16
    cubanforever16 Posts: 2
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I have a digital soundcard but it's one of the creative ones that you need to buy the special cable to plug in the card that has the optical/digital outs on it. It's called a creative soundblaster digital I/O module and I can't find it anywhere!!! Creative advertised my card as being digital and it is, but I need this $15 part to make it digital, everyone seems to be out of stock, even creative!!! Anyone know where I can get this?