October: **** & **** History Month

Options

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Factually speaking, kids ARE exposed to things that parents have no idea about, and by pretending at home that things don't exist, they're not doing the kids any favors.

Again, when I see specifically WHAT they're teaching, then I'll scrutinize over the curriculum more specifically. Why do people like to get so wadded up over something when they have no specifics to be wadded up over?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Exactly, I would much rather have a child in 4th grade have some extra work on multiplication and division than learn about alternative lifestyles.

IMHO, I think this should more about why ****/lesbians need a month to feel better about themselves rather than when a 9 year old kid learning about homosexuals. Maybe you guys didn't, but in 3rd/4th grade, we all knew what ****/lesbians were. It should be taught in school not to be ridiculed because of race, sexual orientation, even being a geek/nerd (what ever you want to call it:) ). But there should not be a month and tv channel made after them.

jdhdiggs wrote:
    What we really need is a "It's not all the rich white guys fault" month! ;)

Shut up, rich white guy! :D;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I'm just wondering how the hell your kid knew to be upset.... I mean, i had this third grade teacher that was a flaming homosexual and none of us put it together till like 6th grade. We just thought he was funny & dressed well.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Dumb comment tommy......is the intent behind black history month to make black adults feel better about themselves?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Regardless of right or wrong, I surely wasn't mature enough at that age to handle that topic. Hell, you could make a strong argument that I'm not mature enough now.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I just completely fail to see how this is something that should be focused on in schools. Kids go to school to learn academic subjects. You want to inject morals into schools? Who's morals? Fine. We teach kids not to be bigoted towards ANYONE. Why do we need to single out specific groups of people, point out their differences, and tell kids to specifically not treat them differently, all the while we are bending over backwards in order TO treat them differently!!! Its idiotic.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    Dumb comment tommy......is the intent behind black history month to make black adults feel better about themselves?

What is the intent then, all I see is a way to seperate our races even more than it already is.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2006
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I just completely fail to see how this is something that should be focused on in schools. Kids go to school to learn academic subjects. You want to inject morals into schools? Who's morals? Fine. We teach kids not to be bigoted towards ANYONE. Why do we need to single out specific groups of people, point out their differences, and tell kids to specifically not treat them differently, all the while we are bending over backwards in order TO treat them differently!!! Its idiotic.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Tommy: Sorry, not rich(yet). My point is that, in this country today, the group that is villified the most in public is the wealthy white male Christian. Should we start teaching tolerence of that group as well?

Why can't we just teach the Golden Rule and be done with it.

Where's my Scottish history month? My Norwegian?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:

Wasn't that one of the original intents?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    You can't pretend that schools are only a book-learning environment. Kids are often exposed to more at school than they are outside it.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    You can't pretend that schools are only a book-learning environment. Kids are often exposed to more at school than they are outside it.

I'll agree with that. But I'd add that most social interaction is learned/taught from the family and what is taught there will overwhelm any curriculam a school might teach.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    Options
    You can't pretend that problems with kids today are a deficiency of the schools; they are of the parents.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    tommyboy wrote:
    What is the intent then, all I see is a way to seperate our races even more than it already is.
    I dont' think the intent is to introduce or encourage more separation. I think eventually you won't have to have months dedicated to specific sects of people because over time, people will grow out of their own ignorance.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:
    You can't pretend that problems with kids today are a deficiency of the schools; they are of the parents.
    I said that earlier.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    My point is that, in this country today, the group that is villified the most in public is the wealthy white male Christian. Should we start teaching tolerence of that group as well?
    Not until the 'wealthy white male christian' can show tolerance, instead of just preaching it.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    but it's almost premature to freak before there's any idea about the content they have planned........

I disagree, I think they should have notified parents before publishing a calendar to children with **** & **** written on it let alone making a **** & **** history month. They are forcing us to deal with this issue in their time and their terms not ours regardless of what they have planned.

Can someone tell me the country or part of the world or the culture that **** & lesbians originated. Where is the "history" here? What is the "history" here?
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    I said that earlier.

If you agree with that than you should have no problem with parents who want such subjects left up to them to decide when their children are mature enough to handle said subjects. You are trying to make up for bad parents by taking away the rights of good parents.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    Options
    They are forcing us to deal with this issue in their time and their terms not ours regardless of what they have planned.

Exactly.
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2006
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:

Or combination there of
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    Not until the 'wealthy white male christian' can show tolerance, instead of just preaching it.

You say that as if "minorities" actually follow the tolerance they preach and beg for. :rolleyes:

Your statement alone shows how bigoted this counrty is and how these _____ months and education programs don't work.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    If parents were teaching their kids about groups of people, then there probably wouldn't be a need to do so in an environment that they ARE exposed to such things.

How about if you don't like the public school system, you just go pay for a private school and mandate to them what script to follow.
  • Shizelbs
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    How about if you don't like the public school system, you just go pay for a private school and mandate to them what script to follow.

A noble idea, but the tax money will not leave the public system with the child to help pay for the private school.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Some schools are effed up. Is yours is one of those forbidding any mentions of Christmas, etc? If so I would raise hell about this deal, just to do it. Otherwise I would just do what you are doing, get the curiculum and go over it. If it is reasonable then go with it. I guess my biggest fear would be them bringing in outsiders to promote this lifestyle. If it is just "this is joe blow, he contributed to society by (whatever) then I guess I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes when people are trying to be open about this type thing they end up pushing the idea rather than informing. For me, I wouldn't care if they said "these people did this" but I would put an end to it if they want them to explore in their minds whether they are **** or straight because either one is equally acceptable. In my opinion if you are ****, then you are **** and thats that but I don't think it should be presented as a casual decision meant to be made by all school age children.
    madmax

everything you said here max, I am of the exact same opinion. I do however wished that they didn't just drop the bomb by handing out Philadelphia School District calendars with that in it. Parents should have been notified ahead of time and the PTA consulted on it. It is just totally disregarding anyones opinions, spiritual preferences, and rights.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:

How about YOU pay for your kids to go to private school if you don't want to actively play the role of parent instead of forcing YOUR morales on everyone else's children??
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    You say that as if "minorities" actually follow the tolerance they preach and beg for. :rolleyes:

Your statement alone shows how bigoted you are.
    Not at all.....but don't tell me that the 'rich white christian male' (your example) is feeling slighted against. That's crap and you know it. Also, don't pretend you know what minorities that are discriminated against in daily life go through when you're looking from the outside in.

I can't speak for black people, or asians, or nerds, but I can tell you that **** are more accepting and tolerant than most people I know.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote:
    How about YOU pay for your kids to go to private school if you don't want to actively play the role of parent instead of forcing YOUR morales on everyone else's children??
    Are you arguing about your religious beliefs in regard to a public school system?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Its really sad that some people think that being homosexual is a "lifestyle choice" or a "morality choice".
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    So you're arguing about your religious beliefs in regard to a public school system?

Who the hell said anything about religious beliefs??? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm talking about the fact that if a parent doesn't want their children learning about people's sexual orientation/behaviour at age 9, then they should be allowed to wait until they think their children are mature enough. Mandating a script?? I tell you one thing, its not me who's telling the schools to follow a script, someone else is or this change wouldn't be happening.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Options
    99.9% of the time, people that bring up morals in relation to being **** are bringing it up as a religious issue. If I assumed that about you and I was wrong, I apologize.

All I'm saying is look at what they're proposing before you blow a gasket. Someday y'all will realize that there are bigger issues in the world than your bitching about teaching kids acceptance and tolerance of groups of people that have a history of being discriminated against (killed, legislated against, and just not treated as human as other people). If you're this angry about something being taught (when you really don't even know what they're talking about teaching), then maybe some reflection is in order.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    I'm just wondering how the hell your kid knew to be upset.... I mean, i had this third grade teacher that was a flaming homosexual and none of us put it together till like 6th grade. We just thought he was funny & dressed well.
    I don't think he was upset . . . the kids were just all abuzz with it and I've got news for you these kids knew in 3rd grade what we put together in 6th.