October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    This is a very POLITACALLY charged subject that has been beaten to death and will continue to be beaten to death.
    I'm going to disagree. It's a subject where people feel they can impose their religious beliefs onto my life by way of crossing the political line.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2006
    I don't recall any of my state, national, or world history including G&L lessons or references of their impact on history. I must have been absent on those days or they actually didn't have a history.:D But then again, I did grow up next to the reservation...........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I'm going to disagree. It's a subject where people feel they can impose their religious beliefs onto my life by way of crossing the political line.

The sad reality is that there are some religious people who are very vocal about being anti homosexual. These are the same ones who'd burn down an abortion clinic or light the doctor on fire. I am not one and should not be lumped in with that mob. I do have my beliefs but I am not going to try to take anything away from you because you are ****. I don't want your beliefs or sexual preferences or whatever you want to call it shoved down my throat by way of my child.

I'm not sure what you mean "by way of crossing the political line."
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2006
    Something that might be brought to the school's attention is that according to Diversity Central's calendar...........G&L pride month was June, not October, can they explain the inconsistency?

http://www.diversitycentral.com/heritage_month.html
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Hey Dennis what is more upsetting to me is that the school district stole October from National Disability Employment Awareness Month and gave to the G&Ls. WTF
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I don't want your beliefs or sexual preferences or whatever you want to call it shoved down my throat by way of my child.
    I want to know why you feel a discussion about a subject is the equivelant of shoving anything down your throat. By that logic, I've now shoved 4 pages of my sexual preference down your throat, which is assinine (4's much to small a number.....lol.....humor's allowed, ya?). Do you feel that during black history month that you're supposed to walk around in facepaint and start wearing your jeans down around your ****? Probably not, and I'd imagine you're kids aren't scarred by learning about black history.
    I'm not sure what you mean "by way of crossing the political line."
    I mean that the 'straight christian community' has made a very concerted effort to legislate against ****. This I'm sure means nothing to you, but it does to me, and I don't want your groups religious beliefs to mandate my way of life, which is what the goal has been. When there is outright discrimination against American citizens trying to be passed in the form of changes to the CONSTITUTION, you're damn right you're gonna hear an uproar about it.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    June is traditionally **** pride month..

but there is also this little known day on Oct 11th.

National Coming Out Day.

National Coming Out Day is observed on October 11 by members of the ****, ****, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities and their allies.

The day commemorates October 11, 1987, when 500,000 people marched on Washington, USA, for **** and **** equality. National Coming Out Day events are aimed at raising awareness of the LGBT community among the general populace in an effort to give a familiar face to the LGBT rights movement.

In the United States, the Human Rights Campaign manages the event under the National Coming Out Project offering resources to LGBT couples, parents and their children as well as straight friends and relatives to promote awareness of LGBT families living honest and open lives.

Candace Gingrich became the spokesperson for the day in April 1995.

I know. I know.. more info that you ever wanted to know. but this my explain what they chose Oct.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2006
    Could it be they chose October because there wasn't any school in June? Seems like an agenda, not awareness to me. I think January should be national fat-**** month since it is currently open and comes right after the holiday season.

• brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I would like to hear what this agenda is please. (by talking about this in school)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Could it be they chose October because there wasn't any school in June? Seems like an agenda, not awareness to me. I think January should be national fat-**** month since it is currently open and comes right after the holiday season.

uhhh. oh nevermind. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I would like to hear what this agenda is please.

Calling it a history observance has got to be a veiled attempt to simply bring lifestyle talk to the table. What does anyones sexuality have to do with what most of us think of local, state, or national history? I can't think of how it affected anything at the moment. That is unless religion is considered.

• Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2006
    My only concern with a public school choosing something controversial for observance is that it should have gone to the parents for ponderance with the lesson plan, before the kids got to discuss it. I would include deep discussions about war, politics, etc. in that concern realm.

Hell, our schools out here don't even recognize MLK day at all, with only 1 black family in my town of 12,000. G&L recognition would be way more appropriate for discussion considering the numbers.

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I want to know why you feel a discussion about a subject is the equivelant of shoving anything down your throat. By that logic, I've now shoved 4 pages of my sexual preference down your throat, which is assinine (4's much to small a number.....lol.....humor's allowed, ya?).

Sorry it came off that way. What I meant was the Philadelphia School District shoving your beliefs and way of life down my throat via my child.
    I don't want your groups religious beliefs to mandate my way of life, which is what the goal has been.

Not my group brother, I'm not religious, I thought I made that clear earlier.

I started this thread so as not to hijack the thread that another member and I were talking on earlier in the day. The subject has changed routes. I would prefer to keep it on the school districts foul up. If you want to discuss my spirituality versus your sexual preference, orientation or whatever you choose to call it I'll be happy to do it in a civil manner via email or pms.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006

They do have an agenda. I agree with January because my **** is always fatter after 1/1. From Halloween through New Years Day is a slob fest around here.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited September 2006
    Joe, you're a fine addition to this forum. A belated welcome to CLub Polk to you.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    aaharvel wrote:
    Joe, you're a fine addition to this forum. A belated welcome to CLub Polk to you.
    Thanks, what did I do to merit that?
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited September 2006
    just being yourself dude.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Do you feel that during black history month that you're supposed to walk around in facepaint and start wearing your jeans down around your ****? Probably not, and I'd imagine you're kids aren't scarred by learning about black history.

You bet . . . then I get down on one knee and sing MAMMY :eek: just like Al Jolsen:eek: !!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I guess I'm looking for the downside of people using words to discuss something.....

You must view black people as the scum of the earth for marching on Washington then, right? Maybe women are just as evil for having the nerve to fight for voting rights and to enter the workforce. They forced America (ya know, equal rights and all that BS) to actually look at it's ugliness and take steps to change the wrongs that the country had been ok with up to that point.

I can't believe people that think discussing things is a negative aspect, expecially when it could right the wrongs of the past and allows people to be treated as equals, rather than lesser people.

If you think that's what's being sought out by talking to your 9yo, that's pathetic.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I guess I'm looking for the downside of people using words to discuss something.....

You must view black people as the scum of the earth for marching on Washington then, right? Maybe women are just as evil for having the nerve to fight for voting rights and to enter the workforce. They forced America (ya know, equal rights and all that BS) to actually look at it's ugliness and take steps to change the wrongs that the country had been ok with up to that point.

I can't believe people that think discussing things is a negative aspect, expecially when it could right the wrongs of the past and allows people to be treated as equals, rather than lesser people.

If you think that's what's being sought out by talking to your 9yo, you're an idiot.

I'm not the one freaking out on you or stooping very very low as to use words like "idiot". You're so upset you can't even type clearly. Calm down dude, I'm not trying to take anything from you. I just don't want the school district of Phila. to dictate to my child what they think is correct concerning the subject of homosexuality and I object to the way they did it, it is REPREHENSIBLE. PS: Stop putting words in my mouth . . . I guess I can make a big joke about that one.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    The idiot wasn't directed to you specifically......sorry...the '9yo' incorrectly pointed that comment to you Joe. That's why I'd adjusted it.......which happened just before you'd posted apparently.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    just got back from a 3 hour class, and this thread has yet to be deleted. wow.

Brett,

All most of us are trying to say, is just because you have been discriminated most of your life, doesn't mean you should have your own tv channel "for your kind" and a **** history month. All you are doing is making more discrimination by seperating you even more from the rest of us.

Lets look at blacks/minorites today. And no, I am not prejudice, I just want equal rights, which we don't have. For most jobs, the government requires that a certain percentage have to be a minority. That is complete bull$hit. Whoever is best for the job should take it. Plus, There are some managers who are afraid to fire a black person because they will take them to court and say that their race is the reason they were fired. My mother works at a hospital and says this happens quite a few times. Equal rights. Thats all I want. Everyone in this country needs to get their heads out of the sand and realize that we are all human beings.

alright, im done with this thread, later
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    somehow i double posted
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2006
    To whom it may concern,
    I've been pretty good about staying out of this kinda stuff, but I'd like you all to consider the following. Homosexuality is not a race, it is an orientation.

We do not have to have a day to commemorate, celebrate,or condone every single group or ethnicity, and we don't need schools to educate our children about homosexuality...that's a parents responsibility, not the governments. And yes I believe that the government should stay out of your bedroom, just as I also believe they need to stay out of mine.

A child's morals and values, for better or worse, are the sole providence of the family to which they belong. If I choose to teach my children that a certain behavior is amoral and goes against nature, just who do you (you=anyone) think you are to tell my child otherwise? If I choose to teach my children that a persons lifestyle is not a choice, just who do you (you=anyone) think you are to tell my child otherwise? Neither is right, and neither is wrong.

The fact that a percentage of the population is homosexual does not entitle them to any special rights or priveleges, nor should they be discriminated against because of what they are. Since I'm a blonde haired, blue-eyed male, I want my own set of rules and a holiday too....DAMNIT!

Time to get off the ME TOO Band Wagon and quit whining. Move on, move ahead, or move over. I won't cram my overtly Hetro beliefs down your kids throat, I expect, no..demand, the same respect from you.

[/rant]
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Someone wrote earlier that we may have missed a school district town hall or meeting or something that discussed this subject at a time earlier than last night. We keep on top of evey little detail about our son's education. We have been talking to other parents, every single one has been blind sided by this. As I said earlier even my liberal friends whom I debate with frequently on a lot of topics are upset about this.

The school district has an obvious agenda or else they would not have blind sided us like this and by us I mean all the parents whose children are enrolled in the Philly public school system.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    To whom it may concern,
    I've been pretty good about staying out of this kinda stuff, but I'd like you all to consider the following. Homosexuality is not a race, it is an orientation.

We do not have to have a day to commemorate, celebrate,or condone every single group or ethnicity, and we don't need schools to educate our children about homosexuality...that's a parents responsibility, not the governments. And yes I believe that the government should stay out of your bedroom, just as I also believe they need to stay out of mine.

A child's morals and values, for better or worse, are the sole providence of the family to which they belong. If I choose to teach my children that a certain behavior is amoral and goes against nature, just who do you (you=anyone) think you are to tell my child otherwise? If I choose to teach my children that a persons lifestyle is not a choice, just who do you (you=anyone) think you are to tell my child otherwise? Neither is right, and neither is wrong.

The fact that a percentage of the population is homosexual does not entitle them to any special rights or priveleges, nor should they be discriminated against because of what they are. Since I'm a blonde haired, blue-eyed male, I want my own set of rules and a holiday too....DAMNIT!

Time to get off the ME TOO Band Wagon and quit whining. Move on, move ahead, or move over. I won't cram my overtly Hetro beliefs down your kids throat, I expect, no..demand, the same respect from you.

[/rant]

You said a mouthful Olley!
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2006
    I'm been tearing up my kitchen floor to put down hardwoods and thinking about this topic since the work was pretty mindless and I've been trying to remember something:

When was it that my parents sat me down and taught me not to be a racist? When did they teach me to accept everyone? When did we have that talk? Thing is, we didn't. I didn't take a course on it in school, either.

Some parents teach their kids to be ****-hatin' bigots. Some parents do nothing and their kids still turn out that way. Kids are perceptive- they know what freaks the hell out of their parents. My parents hated stupidity and
    ignorance- go figure.

So- the point of that ramble is this: **** history month might make one or two more tolerant kids out of a thousand, but for all the rest, they've already made up their minds.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    unc2701 wrote:
    I'm been tearing up my kitchen floor to put down hardwoods and thinking about this topic since the work was pretty mindless and I've been trying to remember something:

When was it that my parents sat me down and taught me not to be a racist? When did they teach me to accept everyone? When did we have that talk? Thing is, we didn't. I didn't take a course on it in school, either.

Some parents teach their kids to be ****-hatin' bigots. Some parents do nothing and their kids still turn out that way. Kids are perceptive- they know what freaks the hell out of their parents. My parents hated stupidity and
    ignorance- go figure.

So- the point of that ramble is this: **** history month might make one or two more tolerant kids out of a thousand, but for all the rest, they've already made up their minds.

The funny thing about all this is that I also have a 23 year son who is not racist, not a **** basher, not a criminal, he not a lot of things. He is however a well adjusted, successful, easy going, spiritual (not religious), responsible young adult. I take 50% of the credit on bringing him up. The schools he went to did not teach anything but reading, writing, arithmatic and sports. Me and his mom taught him the morals he adhears to. I'll be damned if I am going to let some public school system teach my 9 year old anything, anything at all about homosexuality. I'll go to jail first to keep him out of school to keep that from happening. As a matter of fact my wife and I are looking to move to Dover Delaware where they have an award winning school district called the Caesar Rodney school district. I'm willing to bet my left nut that they don't have any agendas like this Philadelphia, school system has.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Homosexuality is discriminated against.....I could care less if it's a race.... Are we more concerned with discrimination if it's just a skin color issue rather than anything else? Sad............

No one can sit here and argue what the school would talk about because NO ONE KNOWS what the school was planning. I'm not aware that the school district was telling the kids that being **** was the 'right' behavior.....that seems like quite the stretch.

Parents need to teach tolerance, whether you find it amoral or not. I couldn't care less if you teach tolerance of brown haired/green eyed people, **** people, blue, whatever.........teach them tolerance. I guess I'm more open minded to think that people would actually think it's good for the kid to tell them about all angles of an issue while telling your kids what to believe.

I think parents should talk as intelligently on subjects that they can. Also realize that parents don't know about what they don't know. I think teaching in absolutes on subjects you don't know about is wrong personally.

I've said this a hundred times, and I don't understand why this hasn't sunken in:
    **** people are not looking for special rights or priveledges. They are looking for the SAME rights and priveledges as you have. SAME.

You (anyone) might feel talking about the subject is shoving it in your face......I'd call that an overreaction, but also know that it is a DAILY issue that **** people are discriminated against, so if you can't handle a few days a month, tough cookies IMO. Also, I'm hoping that a few days chat about a subject isn't enough to eliminate your values that you told your kid to believe.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Homosexuality is discriminated against.....I could care less if it's a race.... Are we more concerned with discrimination if it's just a skin color issue rather than anything else? Sad............

No one can sit here and argue what the school would talk about because NO ONE KNOWS what the school was planning. I'm not aware that the school district was telling the kids that being **** was the 'right' behavior.....that seems like quite the stretch.

Parents need to teach tolerance, whether you find it amoral or not. I couldn't care less if you teach tolerance of brown haired/green eyed people, **** people, blue, whatever.........teach them tolerance. I guess I'm more open minded to think that people would actually think it's good for the kid to tell them about all angles of an issue while telling your kids what to believe.

I think parents should talk as intelligently on subjects that they can. Also realize that parents don't know about what they don't know. I think teaching in absolutes on subjects you don't know about is wrong personally.

I've said this a hundred times, and I don't understand why this hasn't sunken in:
    **** people are not looking for special rights or priveledges. They are looking for the SAME rights and priveledges as you have. SAME.

You (anyone) might feel talking about the subject is shoving it in your face......I'd call that an overreaction, but also know that it is a DAILY issue that **** people are discriminated against, so if you can't handle a few days a month, tough cookies IMO. Also, I'm hoping that a few days chat about a subject isn't enough to eliminate your values that you told your kid to believe.

Brett,

How long have you and your partner been together and how many children have you raised or are currently raising?

Joe