October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Tommy: Sorry, not rich(yet). My point is that, in this country today, the group that is villified the most in public is the wealthy white male Christian. Should we start teaching tolerence of that group as well?

Why can't we just teach the Golden Rule and be done with it.

Where's my Scottish history month? My Norwegian?

If all the attacks on Christians made by every liberal or ****/**** talk show host was counted against them like it is held against white male Christians there would be censorship and apologies all over every medium . . . Thanks God there isn't, however it does get tiresome that politics demands overcompensating every single people or group that yells the loudest.

I go back to the Italians & the Irish. They came here worked hard, got kicked around and mistreated and still thrived. No crying no yelling no overcompensation.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    All I'm saying is look at what they're proposing before you blow a gasket. Someday y'all will realize that there are bigger issues in the world than your bitching about teaching kids acceptance and tolerance of groups of people that have a history of being discriminated against (killed, legislated against, and just not treated as human as other people). If you're this angry about something being taught (when you really don't even know what they're talking about teaching), then maybe some reflection is in order.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that having a **** & **** History month in schools is meaningless without some reference and explanation to sexual orientation. The fact that it doesn't bother you that the timing of such a conversation between parent and child is being mandated by the school means maybe you ought to reflect about your thoughts on parenting.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    If all the attacks on Christians made by every liberal or ****/**** talk show host was counted against them like it is held against white male Christians there would be censorship and apologies all over every medium
    Since we're outside the school arena.....

So I understand......have Christians been forced to have seperate bathrooms, ride at the back of the bus, generally beat up or killed, or legislated against anywhere near what blacks or **** have been? If your answer to that is yes, then you have a point. I'm sorry you feel that overcompensating is the same as equality. Some might just want to be treated like everyone else.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Some might just want to be treated like everyone else.
    Yeah, that's all they want. Oh, but its ok if they have a ___ history month and you don't. Oh, and its ok if they can get into colleges and get scholarships more easily than you. I mean, that's what equality is all about right? Having different standards for different groups of people = equality, right???
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Yeah, that's all they want. Oh, but its ok if they have a ___ history month and you don't. Oh, and its ok if they can get into colleges and get scholarships more easily than you. I mean, that's what equality is all about right? Having different standards for different groups of people = equality, right???

I couldn't say that better myself
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    The primary issue that was metioned was the fact that such a month even exists. That it was at 9yo was a secondary point made.

I'm sure the school system is intelligent enough to parallel appropriate subject matter with the age/maturity of the students in the classroom.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I'm sure the school system is intelligent enough to parallel appropriate subject matter with the age/maturity of the students in the classroom.

Ya think? Because I think if they were intelligent enough it wouldn't have shown up on a 9yo 's calendar. But I guess that's just a difference of opinion about parenting? Oh, so I guess your opinion of parenting is right and mine is wrong? Well gee whiz, I'm so glad there are people smart enough to take away my rights and force their superior intellect on me.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    I've got news for you these kids knew in 3rd grade what we put together in 6th.

You make a good point, that is exactly why parents need to talk to their 3rd graders. The kids are already talking about sexuality at that age, as you mentioned, but I think that maybe some parents aren't mature enough themselves to do so. Which probably is how we ended up with "**** month" at school. :)
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    The primary issue that was metioned was the fact that such a month even exists. That it was at 9yo was a secondary point made.

You are so wrong. They caved into special interest groups who screamed very very loud with a lot of money behind them period!!!! I would like to put my money where my mouth is on this statement but that will take a little research which I am willing to do.

Also I read the 1st quarter ciriculum. . . no mention of anything that I would find offensive or controversial. So I have have to ask the question why call October (with a big banner) **** & **** HISTORY MONTH? There wasn't one mention of any ****/les person who did anything great there was no history about ****/les, no mention about sexual preferences or anything of the sort so that lends the question again I ask why did they do that if they weren't going to teach ANTHING about if they weren't trying to appease?????
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Look.......most of you guys have absolutely no idea what it is to live as a minority in this country. If you feel slighted against because the school system is opting to teach an aspect of **** history, I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. Maybe you'll keep your kid in the school, maybe you won't.....but I honestly have no interest in coddling a bunch of adults that object to anything/everything that's done to raise more socially intelligent kids. I'm all for it, because this country has steadily gone into the **** with the way kids are being raised today.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Look.......most of you guys have absolutely no idea what it is to live as a minority in this country. If you feel slighted against because the school system is opting to teach an aspect of **** history, I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. Maybe you'll keep your kid in the school, maybe you won't.....but I honestly have no interest in coddling a bunch of adults that object to anything/everything that's done to raise more socially intelligent kids. I'm all for it, because this country has steadily gone into the **** with the way kids are being raised today.

The reason it is in the "****" is because morality has gone by the wayside. The poor morality passed on to the children and their children and so on since the 60's.

You are right, I've never been discriminated against as a minority and I don't know what it is like. I do know that the practice of overcompensation is tearing us apart.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    No One's Telling Your Kid To Be ****.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    No One's Telling Your Kid To Be ****.
    I never said they were or anything like that. If he turned out to be **** I would still love him and treat him with dignity & respect.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    Y'all have fun.....
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    but I honestly have no interest in coddling a bunch of adults that object to anything/everything that's done to raise more socially intelligent kids. I'm all for it, because this country has steadily gone into the **** with the way kids are being raised today.

You seem like a very intelligent person to me, so its bewildering to me that you can't understand the views of someone who has a different opinion on parenting than you do. You preach on and on about tolerance, and yet you have zero tolerance for someone with a different set of opinions than your own. Your opinion is the correct opinion and everyone else is wrong. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling. You would kick and scream about any group outside of your mindset invading public schools with their ideas of "social intelligence" and yet, if the agenda fits your own ideals, you have no problem stomping on the rights of others.

Here's an idea... leave the "social intelligence" education outside of the public school system so that no one's rights are stepped upon.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Wow, you have a lot of homosexuals in your family. Do you think they were born **** (genetics), or just chose to be so?

anyone's family if you trace it will at some point have a few ****'s. you may not know who they are.. and it doesn't really matter. but they are/were there. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    You seem like a very intelligent person to me, so its bewildering to me that you can't understand the views of someone who has a different opinion on parenting than you do. You preach on and on about tolerance, and yet you have zero tolerance for someone with a different set of opinions than your own. Your opinion is the correct opinion and everyone else is wrong. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling. You would kick and scream about any group outside of your mindset invading public schools with their ideas of "social intelligence" and yet, if the agenda fits your own ideals, you have no problem stomping on the rights of others.

Here's an idea... leave the "social intelligence" education outside of the public school system so that no one's rights are stepped upon.

Bravo . . . ditto!
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    do they teach sex ed. by 4th grade? if not, I don't see how they have any reason for promoting any kind of "sexual orientation" month.

Like i said in the Oh the Joys thead.. i think grade school is to young to be getting children involved in sex ed or **** history month. _____ history month is fine.. as long as it doenst pertain to any kind of sexual topic.

Now I think high school is a different story. I think HS students are mature enough to handle a topic of **** history.. yeah some will laugh it off. and others will scoff and snicker at it.. but there may be that one student who it hits home for.

that one student needs this kind of support. So if you ask me.. high school is the appropriate age.. not grade school. I think your school district had good intentions.. i just don't think they thought this thru all the way.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Like i said in the Oh the Joys thead.. i think grade school is to young to be getting children involved in sex ed or **** history month. _____ history month is fine.. as long as it doenst pertain to any kind of sexual topic.

Now I think high school is a different story. I think HS students are mature enough to handle a topic of **** history.. yeah some will laugh it off. and others will scoff and snicker at it.. but there may be that one student who it hits home for.

that one student needs this kind of support. So if you ask me.. high school is the appropriate age.. not grade school. I think your school district had good intentions.. i just don't think they thought this thru all the way.

They were not thinking at all, they were reacting. That seems to be another in the long line of overcompensation issues in this politically correct FIRST world we live in.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    Can someone tell me the country or part of the world or the culture that **** & lesbians originated. Where is the "history" here? What is the "history" here?

Whoa! **** and lesbians have been around all throughout history.. from the beginning of time. I could make a joke here.. but i won't.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    everything you said here max, I am of the exact same opinion. I do however wished that they didn't just drop the bomb by handing out Philadelphia School District calendars with that in it. Parents should have been notified ahead of time and the PTA consulted on it. It is just totally disregarding anyones opinions, spiritual preferences, and rights.

you said that already. ;)

sorry. playing off of what Brett posted earlier.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I've said I do understand the age aspect of his complaint. I'm not excusing the school for alerting parents by way of a calendar, but I also don't know if the school board maybe had a meeting open to the public or any other notifications that may or may not have been missed. What I'm taking issue with is the attitude that the existence of such a topic at school should be automatically scorned before the material that the school is covering is even read or discussed.

You are certainly entitled to raise your kids as you see fit, but I don't see the harm being done in teaching the kids about the topic. The subject matter/discussion detail is going to change with the age group of the student base......that's basic logic, so obviously the birds and bees aren't going to be detailed for 9yo's (I'd hope).

Learning about other people isn't a bad thing. Yes, I understand you can't have a month for every single segment of the population, I get that. I'm not writing the curriculum so I'm not going to judge how they decided on what they did. If parents are THIS opposed to the subject being covered at all, I don't know of a way that people would approach the **** topic with their kids at home that would be anything other than derrogotory.

I don't typically look at myself as a minority, but when this topic comes up and sparks such adamant anger and resistance against people, I do take issue. Most people who have ever met me in person would never know that I'm ****. It's not something that defines who I am as I'm sure being straight isn't something that rattles off your tongue with whomever you meet. I'm all for debate or discussion about the topic, not to 'shove my beliefs in your face', but to shed at least SOME light on why **** people ARE defensive about the arguement that they should just shut up and accept the mistreatment (overall, not specifically with this thread topic) that others feel they should.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited September 2006
    hey, three pages and no cussing? Impressive!

Carry on, Gents (so far), I have my hope that the thread will remain!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I've said I do understand the age aspect of his complaint. I'm not excusing the school for alerting parents by way of a calendar, but I also don't know if the school board maybe had a meeting open to the public or any other notifications that may or may not have been missed. What I'm taking issue with is the attitude that the existence of such a topic at school should be automatically scorned before the material that the school is covering is even read or discussed.

You are certainly entitled to raise your kids as you see fit, but I don't see the harm being done in teaching the kids about the topic. The subject matter is going to change with the age group of the student base......that's basic logic, so obviously the birds and bees aren't going to be detailed for 9yo's (I'd hope).

Learning about other people isn't a bad thing. Yes, I understand you can't have a month for every single segment of the population, I get that. I'm not writing the curriculum so I'm not going to judge how they decided on what they did. If parents are THIS opposed to the subject being covered at all, I don't know of a way that people would approach the **** topic with their kids that would be anything other than derrogotory.

You make some very goods points however the one topic in this entire thread that has been avoided is the parents rights to pass their religious or spiritual beliefs and morality onto their children. This probably more than anything else is what I admit has me reacting to this rather than thinking about it. Until I read the ciriculum I felt that the school system was dictating something adverse to my spiritual beliefs and my wifes religious beliefs. After reading the ciriculum I am angry that the school district used this ploy to make a political statement and had NO plans on educating the children on homosexual issues.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    So the school put the banner on the calendar then told you that they had no plans to cover the topic period? That would bother me as well.....I can understand that. The question is though, would you be ok if they did have specific subject matter to address with the students?

My point earlier about the religious aspect is that a public school is not going to teach Parent A, B, or C's religious beliefs. It's not a religious institution. That's where my private school comment came from earlier. Some religious also have religious classes external to public school for parents to ensure their kids are taught their specific beliefs.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2006
    I read a story when I was a small child about a little boy that grew up without even knowing his father. He had heard of him but he wasn't around and he had never seen him. Since that story was written, the divorce rate has grown fourfold, with millions of children growing up without their father around. Could this popular story, read by millions of children; have had an impact on beliefs? One day Bambi went out to the forest and found his father.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    hearingimpared.. sorry but I don't know your first name.. so can't call you by it.

Anyway.. here is what i would do. if I were a parent concerned about this topic in my school district.. and it didn't meet with my approval

1. I'd get ahold of the superintendant and let him/her know your concerns.

2. attend the next school board meeting and voice your concerns to the school board. In a mature manner of course.

3. it's not OCT yet.. I bet if enough parents complained then the school board/district would listen. They do here at least. Parents have a voice in their childs education.... be more involved. I'm not speaking to you spacifically of course.

4. Attend your childs classroom the day **** history month is mentioned and see how the topic is handled.

Now for the school district. I think they should have instead had a Diversity Month.. and not name it a **** history month. Diversity covers all minorities together. It does not exclude anyone.

The school or district could set aside one day this school year for all students who wanted to attend to go and talk or learn about different minorities.. it's educating, and it's non threatening to the student or the parent.

Ok that's what i would do if I were YOU.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    The question is though, would you be ok if they did have specific subject matter to address with the students?

Honestly, NO I wouldn't be ok with it.
    Some religious also have religious classes external to public school for parents to ensure their kids are taught their specific beliefs.

This is true and the fact that the public school system would possibly be teaching something that goes contrary to the external religious beliefs taught (most external religious training costs bucu bucks) that was never taught before and is more a politically correct thing to do makes it even more reprehensible.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    So the compromise is to send the kids to a school that talks about a subject a few days a month........big deal. Hopefully the kids will survive their childhood.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    hearingimpaired.. sorry but I don't know your first name.. so can't call you by it.

Anyway.. here is what i would do. if I were a parent concerned about this topic in my school district.. and it didn't meet with my approval

1. I'd get ahold of the superintendant and let him know your concerns.

2. attend the next school board meeting and voice your concerns to the school board. In a mature manner of course.

3. it's not OCT yet.. I bet if enough parents complained that the school board/district would listen. They do here at least. Parents have a voice in their childs education.... be more involved. I'm not speaking to you spacifically of course.

4. Attend your childs classroom the day **** history month is mentioned and see how the topic is handled.

Now for the school district. I think they should have instead had a Diversity Month.. and not name is a **** history month. Diversity covers all minorities together. It does not exclude anyone.

The school or district could set aside one day this school year for all students who wanted to attned to go and talk or learn about different minorities.. it's educating, and it's non threatening to the student or the parent.

Ok that's what i would do if I were YOU.

My name is Joe. Thanks for your very well thought out feedback. As I wrote in the original posting I contacted the school. After all that I called the main office of the school district and the woman I spoke said that they were inundated with calls with the same complaint. She gave me a fax number and a woman's name. I faxed a written complaint to that woman. When checking with other parents, even the liberals whom I debate with often were upset at how this all went down.

I have nothing against homosexuals even though the Book I read for my spirituality considers it not a good thing. This is a very POLITACALLY charged subject that has been beaten to death and will continue to be beaten to death. The problem is how and who is being used as the pawns here. . . IT IS THE CHILDREN that are being used as the pawns and forcing the parents to have to make an issue of it thus absolving the special interest groups who put pressure on the school district and the school district itself thus making parents such as myself and my wife look like the ogars because we oppose it.