Free Dog the Bounty Hunter!!!!

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
WTF! Dog brings a scumbag to justice, and now, three years later, Mexicans want him arrested for illegal bounty hunting, and the US cooperated. :mad:

"At 6 a.m. local Honolulu time, more than half a dozen U.S. Marshals arrested bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman in Honolulu, Hawaii. They also arrested his son, Leland Chapman, and another member of his team, Tim Chapman.

Duane "Dog" Chapman is the star of the A&E series "Dog the Bounty Hunter," which is currently in the midst of its fourth season and is also one of the highest rated shows on A&E.

The U.S. Marshals arrested Dog and two others at the request of the Mexican government, which issued an arrest warrant in connection with his successful capture of fugitive Andrew Luster in Mexico in June 2003. Bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico. Back in 2003, Mexican officials arrested Dog, Leland, Tim and their cameramen after they detained high-profile suspect Andrew Luster while he was on the run from a California rape trial. Dog and his team were held for a few days in a Mexican jail and then released on bond, told to report back with Mexican officials once per week.

The Mexican government also formally arrested Luster after Dog Chapman tracked him down and returned Luster to the U.S. and the FBI. He was subsequently convicted and is now serving a 124-year sentence in connection with drugging and raping three women."
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2006
    yeah someone already started a thread about this. only it was against him..

If someone is convicted for 124 years ( i also heard this on my local radio morning show) they did something wrong!! and they have the nerve to come after DOG 3 years later.. NOnsense

It reads, Committ a crime in the us and come to mexico.. your safe here
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2006
    So, because "Dog" was doing something good in our eyes, he should be allowed to go to other countries and break their laws without fear of consequence?

I might not agree with Mexico's laws against bounty hunting, but I don't feel sorry for a bounty hunter who skipped out on bond. That's just idiotic.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    Those bounty hunters operate with reckless abandon and seem to feel they are above the law. Nice work, if you can get it, but they aren't saints by any means. I view them as just above the mob in terms of character. I'm not feeling sorry for him although I'd probably be scared to have to face Mexican "justice." I think a fair punishment would be to make him drink Mexican river water and keep him away from any bathroom facilities for 24-48 hours.....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2006
    I think we should start extraditing people to Mexico when they start extraditing people back to us.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2006
    skipping out on Bond in Mexico is idiotic? no, thats just smart thinking. Have you been to Mexico? it will teach you not to take the rights we have here for granted. Police and the Justice system in Mexico is as corrupt as it can be. Dog left because he is NOT a friggen idiot. Now if he jumped Bail here, in the country where he is a bond agent, the I would agree with you.

I dont get the outcry, Mexicans flout and disregard our law on a daily basis, and I am supposed to be shocked and appalled when a US citizen takes steps to catch one of the most sadistic scumbags in recent history in Mexixo, breaking htere laws? how do I put this bluntly

I DONT CARE. I'll give him a medal.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico.
    He wanted the bounty money and was willing to commit a crime for it, I think he should just go back and face the charges. Not that he is going to do any time for it, I'm sure his TV series has enough money to grease the wheels so he'll be out in no time.

Maybe if he would have done it correctly he could have gotten some of the reward money as well: http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/05/luster.hearing/index.html
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    skipping out on Bond in Mexico is idiotic? no, thats just smart thinking.

Call me crazy, but intentionally going to another country with the intent to commit a crime, then proceeding to get caught and skip out on bail is not "smart thinking".
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2006
    an argument can be made that his decision to go down there is the first place was not too smart. but after he got caught, him jumping bail was a very prudent decision. You DO NOT want the outcome of your life and freedom in the hands of Mexico. it might not be PC to say it, but it's the truth. I fall back on the fact that I dont care that Mexico's soveriegnty was impugned here. I really dont, given how many of there citizens crap on our laws on a daily basis.

Did you see them extradite Max Factor boy to us?, especially given the heinous crimes committed. And dont tell me it was because they didnt know he was there, they did. they chose not to send them back to us, why? THEY DONT CARE! why should I? I say keep Dog here. They want him? tough crap! I want peace in Darfur and an end to world hunger, but that aint gonna happen any time soon.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Call me crazy, but intentionally going to another country with the intent to commit a crime, then proceeding to get caught and skip out on bail is not "smart thinking".

Agreed. Mexico isn't any "saint" of a country either, but to try to tie in the Mexican illegals situation to him intentionally going there and breaking the law is ridiculous. Those two things have NOTHING to do with each other. I am all for bringing a scum bag rapist to face justice. All I'm saying is that if you break the law you better be prepared to face the music. Whether or not the U.S. government should overlook that is another story. If I believed this dog guy was really a patriot doing his job for the duty to his country, I'd be a bit more sympathetic.

Face it: he is a quasi-criminal himself as are most bounty hunters. Those guys live life just on the edge of the legal limits of the laws. Why the hell should he be able to go around kicking in doors? Our government should be tracking these guys down, not hired mercenaries working for other mafioso type bondsman. You think bondsman are saints....? The whole little system is filled with less than desirable individuals. Period. I'm not crying over his arrest nor am I condoning the corrupt Mexican government. Comparing his deal to illegals sounds like someone with an agenda. Believe me, I'm all for shutting down the porous borders. Sorry, OSG, no disrepect intended. You are just not comparing apples to apples...If you are going to make a comparison, it needs to be on relative terms. As my father always said, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • Sami
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    Did you see them extradite Max Factor boy to us?
    They did.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/19/max.factor.heir/

"Mexican authorities ordered him deported Thursday, and he was brought back to Los Angeles on an "uneventful" commercial flight, said Matt McLaughlin, an FBI spokesman in Los Angeles."
  • faster100
    edited September 2006
    If our freakin government was getting these people.. Bounty hunters wouldnt exist.. so stop the, Oh leave this to the cops, government.. It aint cutting it,

I see it like this, don't break the law and you never have to worry about Dog or the likes.. and right at the line of the law isnt breaking the law.. Criminals do it all the time..

I'm not for Dog or against.. Just plain silly for all you saints to say he deserves what he gets.. He got a criminal and was convicted to 124 years.. He did somebodies nieborhood a favor
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    So because he got the bad guy he deserves immunity for any crimes he commits? What if he had shot someone on his hunt? Where do you draw the line? Who are you to designate what does and doesn't constitute a crime in a foreign country?
    I see it like this, don't break the law and you never have to worry about Dog or the likes.. and right at the line of the law isnt breaking the law.
    Unfortunately for him, he DID break the law.
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2006
    Sami wrote:
    They did.

"Mexican authorities ordered him deported Thursday, and he was brought back to Los Angeles on an "uneventful" commercial flight, said Matt McLaughlin, an FBI spokesman in Los Angeles."

thanks to Dog Chapman. They would NOT have done that had all of this hullabaloo gone down in the first place. They knew whaere he was the whole time, but didnt extradite him until the FBI handed him over to them. Hey I know Dog ain't a saint, but I dont think he did a bad thing here.

I'm not comparing the illegal alien thing to this to make an argument that it is right. I used it to make an argument that Mexico doesnt care about it's citizens breaking our laws, thus I dont care about our citizens breaking their's. When they care, I'll care.

Also, the Bounty hunter system is not perfect, but I have to bring in my "I dont care" axiom when it comes to the well being of criminals that dont show up to court. They did not have to post bond using a bail bondsmen. this system isnt forced upon anyone. Dont want a bounty hunter trackin gyou? show up to court. the life we live is not Rocket science, and there is ways to make things easier onyourself.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited September 2006
    of course, not committing a major crime in the first place, warranting a high bail, would be prudent as well........god forbid.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    of course, not committing a major crime in the first place, warranting a high bail, would be prudent as well........god forbid.

are you talking about Dog? or just all the other criminals? :p
  • Sami
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    thanks to Dog Chapman. They would NOT have done that had all of this hullabaloo gone down in the first place. They knew whaere he was the whole time, but didnt extradite him until the FBI handed him over to them.

If you would have read the link I posted you would know that's not true. Chapman didn't find him either, the couple that reported him did, and I thank them for it. Chapman was just after the reward money.

"Luster's arrest came in dramatic fashion early Wednesday morning while a legal liaison for the FBI was en route from Guadalajara, Mexico, to Puerto Vallarta to follow up on a tip from an American couple.

The couple had been in contact with Luster while on vacation, according to FBI Special Agent in Charge Ralph Boelter, and identified him while sharing vacation pictures with a friend. The couple then contacted bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman and later the FBI, Boelter said.

Chapman found Luster first and was arrested along with four others, including a television camera crew, who were traveling with him."
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2006
    both ............ hey, Dog made his bed, I'm just saying I dont care about Mexico's feelings :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    remember a little international incident back in 1994.. that involved an 18 yr old teen and the Singapore govt who wanted to punish him for his crime by caning?

The United States got involved.. saying that caning was cruel and unusual punishment for vandalism. Remember that?

Well if you break the law while in another country... you have to pay the penalty for it.

Dogman should have to pay the price for breaking the law in Mexico too.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • faster100
    edited September 2006
    Ok i can agree, if you break the law.. in any country you have to own up.

However, all these saints around here are very judemental.. how many rules and laws are broken by law enforment to catch a criminal? that we don't hear about.. ( he to some degree does a leo job)

he didn't shoot someone, so that's a moot point.. all the what if's are a moot point, He took the chance and yes for the money, that's what they do..

If it were a major factor to mexico.. he would have been arrested after he missed his court hearing, NOT 3 friggin years later, someone somewhere paid someone and now they go after him..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2006
    How ironic. A bounty hunter getting arrested after jumping bail. It could have only been more fitting if he had been "apprehended" by another bounty hunter.

At least the Mexican government did this the right way and had him arrested by US authorities. Even the suspect Mexican law enforcement system won't allow bounty hunters. What does that tell you?
    univera wrote:
    Face it: he is a quasi-criminal himself as are most bounty hunters. Those guys live life just on the edge of the legal limits of the laws. Why the hell should he be able to go around kicking in doors? Our government should be tracking these guys down, not hired mercenaries working for other mafioso type bondsman. You think bondsman are saints....? The whole little system is filled with less than desirable individuals. Period. I'm not crying over his arrest nor am I condoning the corrupt Mexican government. Comparing his deal to illegals sounds like someone with an agenda. Believe me, I'm all for shutting down the porous borders. Sorry, OSG, no disrepect intended. You are just not comparing apples to apples...If you are going to make a comparison, it needs to be on relative terms. As my father always said, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    There are those on this forum who will now tell you that you are soft on crime/criminals and just don't understand the valuable service these good folks (the bounty hunters) provide. I, however, am not one of them as I agree with you 100%.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    I've got zero problem with somebody crossing the Mexican border to help bring back a citizen of the US who was convicted of drugging and raping three women.

Its hilarious irony that the Mexicans are mad at an American that broke one of their laws. As faster mentioned, some wheels must have got greased.
  • faster100
    edited September 2006
    I know right, where does the pig headedness that it was a "bounty hunter" who captured him and broke mexican law, end ! and realize it was for the rape of 3 women? what if it were someones wife you knew or your own.. Then it wouldn't matter if the mob went and got the guy.. double standard really
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2006
    shack wrote:
    How ironic. A bounty hunter getting arrested after jumping bail. It could have only been more fitting if he had been "apprehended" by another bounty hunter.

At least the Mexican government did this the right way and had him arrested by US authorities. Even the suspect Mexican law enforcement system won't allow bounty hunters. What does that tell you?

There are those on this forum who will now tell you that you are soft on crime/criminals and just don't understand the valuable service these good folks (the bounty hunters) provide. I, however, am not one of them as I agree with you 100%.

easy for you to say since it wasn't your wife or daughter who was raped....

Bottom line: Don't rape and kill people...then people won't be after you...

there are way too many laws protecting the criminals...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Sami
    edited September 2006
    Facts:

1) Chapman did nothing to track down Luster
    2) Legal liaison for the FBI was en route
    3) Chapman broke a law
    4) Chapman skipped bail

Somehow it has been twisted in media that Chapman tracked down Luster and captured him while nothing was done legally about it. Mexican government was involved once the tip of Luster's hiding place was received, otherwise FBI wouldn't have been in Mexico to capture him. Yet everyone is yelling how the government was doing nothing about the case. I guess it's a case of see what you want to see.
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    Sami wrote:
    Facts:

2) Legal liaison for the FBI was en route
    3) Chapman broke a law
    4) Chapman skipped bail

If #1 is true, then what law was broken in #3?
  • Sami
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    If #1 is true, then what law was broken in #3?
    The one he is charged with; illegal detention and conspiracy.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited September 2006
    Open up the Mexican border, let everyone who wants to cross it come to the paradise in the USA. Once they all run across, walk over and plant a US flag on the soil of our new territory. No one left there to contest it. Send everyone back home, because they are now part of the good old USA. Start pumping the oil from the largest reserves in the world. Gas is $.50 per gallon, life is good. Much fewer logistical problems than invading those middle eastern countries. Sometimes the answers are simple :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2006
    Sami wrote:

Mexican government was involved once the tip of Luster's hiding place was received,

And you believe them??? One of THE most corrupt governments in the world.

I'm not siding with either, but i don't like that we're going to turn over one of our citizens to THAT government, which doesn't, normally, do the same for us.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited September 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    Open up the Mexican border, let everyone who wants to cross it come to the paradise in the USA. Once they all run across, walk over and plant a US flag on the soil of our new territory. No one left there to contest it. Send everyone back home, because they are now part of the good old USA. Start pumping the oil from the largest reserves in the world. Gas is $.50 per gallon, life is good. Much fewer logistical problems than invading those middle eastern countries. Sometimes the answers are simple :rolleyes:

dkg for president!
    :D
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • ohskigod
    edited September 2006
    Sami wrote:
    Facts:

and yet......he was the one to catch him........... hmm, we might not be geting the whole picture here.

there's at least 3 rape victims who have a shot, albeit remote, of some closure. thats all I care about
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -