LSI 15 problem

Options
Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
Since I first purchased my LSI 15's the left speaker always seemed more louder & dominant. A tiny hole was found in the tweeter and a replacement was sent. There was no difference in sound. I've tried swapping amps, preamps and of course left and right speakers. The left still seems more dominant and not as crisp. Any suggestions?

Jockos
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Where these new or used? Do you know the history of these speakers?

If nothing else I would contact Polk Customer Service.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited September 2006
    Options
    It's your room acoustics.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Right on Jesse, I didn't see or comprehend he also swapped speakers. DUH

:confused:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Jockos
    edited September 2006
    Options
    The Speakers were new, and I also made a room placement change about a year ago.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Options
    just turn one up to match the other one... and you're good to go. i have the same problem with my fronts. the left is set at -1 while the right is set at +2 otherwise i can tell the front soundstage is way off.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited September 2006
    Options
    db, i don't doubt that changing the balance works across the frequency spectrum for some rooms and listening styles, but in my room the acoustics throw off the image at differing degrees depending upon the frequency. in other words, say, the center image is mostly stable with a particular vocalist, but as different notes are struck the image shifts towards one speak and the tonal balance will change to the point where, for example, sibilance will creep in on one side.

listening position, placement (room contents and speaks), toe and treatments all help, but waf is low for moving room contents and treatments, so i do have to juggle stuff a bit when i want the best sound i can get.

jockos, there are threads on the forum where folks have found this to be a speaker problem and polk helped them correct it, but i agree with others that this is more often room acoustics. it could also be a hardware problem too.

for hardware and speaker problems, you could try troubleshooting by doing things like swapping left and right wires and cables at different points in the system while leaving the speaks in the same position and also swapping the speaks while not changing wires to pinpoint the problem. it would probably be helpful to use the same music (a cut that always produces a strong imbalance) throughout the tests so you have a reliable reference to gauge your results.

good luck and enjoy the process. you can learn alot about room acoustics and your speaks while you try to sort this out. in the end, if this is room acoustics, you should be able to get alot more from your system from insights you gain from thinking about and working on this problem.

)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Jockos wrote:
    The Speakers were new, and I also made a room placement change about a year ago.

How about you describe or better yet post a pic of your set up along with measurements.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jockos
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try a couple more variations of position and equipment swapping and even have different people listen. I'll post the results. This could take awhile.

Jockos