Favorite Sub?!?!?!?!

Options
sgtnate79
sgtnate79 Posts: 12
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I have already asked this question in another forum but did not get enough responses.

I wanted to know what is everones favorite subwoofer. I am really looking for something afforadable, like under $350. I welcome any suggestions though.

Thanks for the help
Onkyo TX DS-595
Front: R50's
Center:N/A (CSI 20 Soon)
Surround:N/A (R20's Soon)
Sub:N/A (Not Sure)
X-Box
Panasonic 20" (Sony 32" HDTV Soon!)
Sanyo DVD
Post edited by sgtnate79 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Paradigm PDR-10
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Build IT yourself. Four-fitty total cost. I'll put it up against subs costing twice that.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I like my PSW350 sub.. yeah not the biggest, baddest sub on the market. but for the price.. it's good enough to give you decent bass. Sub placement in your room will make a huge difference. If you've got a big room.. of course the 350 won't do the job.. but if you have a small to mid sized room. it'll work just fine. for the price you really can't go wrong.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The return of Danger Boy ... hey, you still drilling holes in your speakers? ;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2002
    Options
    If you've got a couple of hours to spend I would highly recommend this one. Dayton 10" subwoofer.

I am very pleased with this sub. I was not too hard to put together and sounds great!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Mr. Stagnation:

$350 will get you down to about 35Hz and pretty good volume for most powered subs. If you want to go deeper with still good volume, you really can't do it for this amount of $$ unless you DIY like Ron said.

Or, if you have a spare 100 watt amp, or buy a used amp on Ebay, or buy a cheap 100 watt 2 channel receiver, you can get into a passive SVS sonotube sub for about $350 that will be flat to below 20Hz.

The SVS CS series works very well with any 100 watt amp capable of driving a nominal 8 ohm load. I have heard of very good success with the KLH and Sherwood 100 WPC 2 channel receivers for $99 on sale at CC.

The SVS CS20-39 is $379 on sale right now. For less than $500 total investment, I think you'd be very happy with this type of rig.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    Options
    if i had the money the linn av-5150 isobarik powered sub would be in my home theater for a placement sub, it is one of the best for music & movies you can buy. they are expensive $4,195 ea.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • todd c
    todd c Posts: 5
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I definitely second the above post recommending the SVS CS 20-39 on sale now at svsubwoofers.com. All you need is an old receiver or power amp to power it and bottom bliss is yours.

I have the 20-39PC with improved driver handling bass duties along with the LSi9's and am very happy with the combo.

Good Luck in your search.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Sorry dude no favorite in that class.
    I 'm into Rel
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    What? Rel who? Did you not recommend the 450 in another post just yesterday....???

Answers await me, I have subs in my sole......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hey bud,
    hes looking 350.00 and under.......the 450 is 450.00.
    your slacking .........sharpen up your read.
    Dan
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    Options
    450 is around $350 if u buy it online <g>
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The question was your favorite sub,then asks in a certain price class.I don't have a favorite in that price class,the Psw450 costs 450.00,if you can get it cheaper inline thats great.
    Its a nice sub for 350.00,very nice for that price actually I paid full retail when I got mine.I got it the day it came out.
    All the sub's Id ever heard in the 350.00 and under price class.....well I'm not gonna insult anyone,lets just say I don't have a favorite.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Yeah, who needs a 350 dollar sub when you got those RT1000i's that will really pound, eh? :D

So at what pricepoint do subs NOT suck? Meaning, if you aren't willing to spend "X" amount of dollars that buying a sub is pointless.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Yeah, and don't forget, those 100's have been UPGRADED......

I'm into Rel. Can I get a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Personally, I'm into JMLab Grand Utopias but unless I win the lotto that **** ain't happening and I'll be like sgtnate79 looking for good 350 dollar subs.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

BDT
  • sgtnate79
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    Thanks for all the info. I hope I can find something in my price range that doesnt totally suck. My monitary flow has just been severely disrupted. Oh well, good luck to me.

Nate
    Onkyo TX DS-595
    X-Box
    Sanyo DVD
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    dude, for 350 if you don't want a DIY, check out the P-dime.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The rt1000p jokes aren't funny.Hell they have a 0 funny factor.
    If a sub cannot hit into the 20hz area, thats not a sub.
    Rel I will own.Money isn't a problem here.
    I think most sub's on the market suck.Most of them aren't subs.
    There is no price point that subs stop sucking.Even higher priced sub's sound like ****.Wanna list????
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Dan,

Yes they are, take a poll and most people will tell you they are funny.

OK, if it doesn't go -3db to 20hz does it empirically suck? NOPE. To you maybe, but that is your opinion. Essentially what you are telling the poor dude is that unless he is willing to drop major coinage that he is wasting his time and that is just not true. It's bad advice and I'm suprised that you would do that to a new person. Empirically, you can purchase a decent woofer for less than 400 dollars that will work in the typical HT setup. I defy you to find a trade publication, audio critic or what ever that says otherwise.

Yeah, we get you like Rel and that's cool, but not everyone has your budget. Further, wouldn't mating a REL sub contradict the mantis component matching theory. The rest of us are trying to point the guy in the right direction and for this guys budget, REL ain't it, cochese.

Troy
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    Options
    i would seccond the diy you can make it as chaep as you like or go all out for the cheap you can get some sono tube and some mdfb 2 2x2 and some sealent all that under 50 bucks and the driver and amp can be from cheap to big bucks if you ilny have 2 power tools you can buld one a drill and a jig saw if i dident have ti tools i have a good frend whos dad is in to wood working he has turned his gurage in to a wood working shop all i have left to do onmine is to finish a little wood working aka sand and paint and hope the driver comes some time this month

ron what did you do with your velo ?
    and if you did sell it how much did you get for it?
  • danger boy
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by OrangeToupee
    The return of Danger Boy ... hey, you still drilling holes in your speakers? ;)

OrangeToupee. your kindness warms the cackles of my heart to no end.
    no, i'm finished using the industrial strength drill on my Polk speakers.
    (for those of you who just got your Polks. Use a big **** drill bit to drill the center plugs out of your 5 way binding posts. I did and it works great!! LOL
    P.S. Wear safety goggles when operating any heavy machinery!
    :lol:
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    here's how it is,
    I answered the question.......whats your favorite sub?Rel is
    I need one at 350.00 or under......I don't like the psw350 or any other I listened to in that price class can't answer that.
    One guy said that the psw450 is 350.00 online, that I would tell him to check out as thats a good price for that woofer.
    As far as my coments about anything else was directed to all the smart asses on this post.Cracking on my gear and such.
    So read the post agian!This is how most posts go when you guys come in here.
    Then you talk about the poor new dude............get a grip.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Dan,

We are just joshing you about the RT1000's, hell look around, there seems to be a lot of good natured ribbing around here.....look at the potshots at dangerboy for drilling out his binding posts, look at the posts of my heed....Don't get all Oprah'ed up on us and just have fun with it.

About the subs, we know Rel is your favorite, that's cool but the dude is looking for a decent woofer around the 350 price range and we are trying to help him out. What you seem to be saying is that if you have a modest system, as most of us do either we shouldn't waste our time buying one unless it's a REL that probably costs more than the rest of the speakers combined. That's NOT true and it's bad advice. You can CERTAINLY buy a woofer that, for most folks, beef up the bottom end and do it respectably.

Seriously, though, do you think that if a sub doesn't go down to 20hz (-3db) that it's a waste of time?

BDT
  • sgtnate79
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Im impressed,

I am really amazed at all the responses. You are really a cool bunch of guys. I dont know of any other place where I could stand in the middle of the room and scream for help and have so many respond.

Anyway, what would you all say if I found a PSW 450 online for about $315? It sounds like a 450 is a pretty decent unit so hopefully this will be my answer.

Hey Troy, thanks for trying to keep all these audio-egos focused.

Nate
    Onkyo TX DS-595
    X-Box
    Sanyo DVD
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    No worries Nate, I assume that you are a brother NCO (past or present) that sounds like a decent price for the Polk sub. I implore you for less than fifty bucks, check out the Paradigm sub. The Polk is ok, but I find the Pdime to be more musical and generally better overall. PLUS if you have a good Pdime dealer, they might have a Servo-15 to demo, now THAT is a cool sub.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    TroyD,
    I don't think a sub is a waste of time if it can't go into the 20 hz range,If you can't afford to buy a real good sub, there are alot of good subs out there that sound really good and can't play that low.I'm around mid to high priced sub's all the time,I find alot of them don't compare to Polk's psw450.
    That logic is my own beef with sub's, Alot of them costing a grand and more sound like crap and can't go low.Sloppy mess for that kind of money???No way for me.
    Adding a budget sub is really hard.If it plays double duty,Even harder.I think the psw450 is a real good sub up into the 800.00 range.Alot of sub's on the market costing around that price range are terrible.Polk's sub is nice and clean,It doesn't bounce all over the place, that why I bought it when it came out,I didn't have the budget then like I do now as well.I wanted a cheap sub that rocked and played music.It does both fairly well.
    Having fun with my posts is cool,but let me vent as well.You know when you mess with me I will always reply!!!
    But back to Nate,
    go listen to the PSW450 at 315.00 thats a steal,Its a great sub for that kind of money.The Paradigm sub I can't comment on, I don't know how good it is.
    But the Psw450 is real good....even better for that kind of money.
    By the way,The Psw450 Will hit to 25hz strong,I found about a 6db drop at 22hz and a 9db drop at 20 hz.Tell you this....it's real strong from 120 and down.......I tested it .....(go ahead guys give it to me).For music you'll have to tweak it a bit as when it's set up for just theater, it can be alittle on the strong side.You need to drop it off about 3 to 4 db.
    Have fun shopping and check out all the sub you can afford before you buy.
    Dan
  • sgtnate79
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Guys,
    I went to CC and listened to the PSW450 and the 350. The 450 definetley can push more air with a more definitive thud. I liked it. I also got to listen to Velodynes 10" and 12"ers. The sound was a lot more crisp if a little weaker in its volume.

Im going to see what the best price that I can find on these V-dynes. In the mean time I wanted some opinions on that brand name.

Nate

:D
    Onkyo TX DS-595
    X-Box
    Sanyo DVD
  • danger boy
    edited July 2002
    Options
    can one buy a Velodyne for under $350? if so.. what model?
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Well, I'd bet that both the CT-120(a year or two older now) or their new CHT-100 or CHT-120 could be had within his price range. They aren't a waste of time and certainly fill in your bottom freq's better than you will by humming them. My CT-120 hits plenty low and plenty clean for my home theater tastes; and that's with the it's amp at no higher than 9 o'clock. I'm thinking about writing REL all over it, too, just for Mantis.