Strange CSi5 issue

Options
OpticalSerenity
OpticalSerenity Posts: 92
edited September 2006 in Troubleshooting
So, I bought a brand new CSi5 today from Tweeter.

I got home, connected it to my Denon AVR-1706 receiver, and only the tweeter is working on the CSi5. So, I thought it was the speaker, so I exchanged it for a new CSi5. Same thing.

So, I connected the CSi5 to the front right channel, and everything works great. I connected the RTi6 from the front right to the center channel, and everything works great. Just the CSi5 on the center channel doesn't work, only the tweeter works.

I've changed cables, and checked all connections.

How could this be? How is it that the RTi6 on the center channel works fully, and yet the CSi5 does not? Yet the CSi5 works fine on the Front Right channel.

Please help. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out!

UPDATE:

I switched from the bottom terminals on the speaker to the top terminals, and shazam, it works. I can't imagine why this is the case, but everything was nice and secure in the past.
Post edited by OpticalSerenity on

Comments

• OpticalSerenity
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yeah very secure...I always tighten them down on all the speakers.
  • OpticalSerenity
    edited August 2006
    Options
    So by removing the gold strips and using wire, what benefit will I get?
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Apparently, it will sound better. . . that's the benefit :)

Actually, I think the reasoning is that the brass is somewhat crappy and speaker wire will conduct and shield better. I'm totally making this up, but it sounds about right.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I have found that when I use bare wire connections (through the hole in the middle of the post). When I tighten down the nuts, they don't always clamp down tight on the metal jumper strips. Which is why I switched the strips out for wire jumpers.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • OpticalSerenity
    edited August 2006
    Options
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'll have to give it a try to.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • jdannyj
    jdannyj Posts: 26
    edited September 2006
    Options
    When I hooked up my new csi5 i experienced the same problem. After checking all my connections I jiggled the banana plug around a bit, and that seemed to solve the problem. Now that I've read this post, the jumpers were probably the issue. Unfortunately I'm still not entirely happy with the way the csi5 sounds. When you talk about removing the brass jumpers, and replacing them with wire, are you talking about regular speaker wire? Could you please be a little more specific about how exactly to go about replacing these jumpers with wire.. I would like to try it.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2006
    Options
    yes regular speaker wire, 10-14 awg with spades.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Options
  • jdannyj
    jdannyj Posts: 26
    edited September 2006
    Options
    thanks for the reply. pictures are great. especially for newbies.
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited September 2006
    Options
    With banana plugs, using spades is the best way.

For the bare wire people. Someone posted that he stripped a section of insulation off a couple of inches back from the end, in addition to the stripping the end. Then threaded the wire through the hole of one post to the stripped section, and then inserted the stripped end in the other post, an elegant solution. Here is my inelegant solution:
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • gonzalr
    gonzalr Posts: 92
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Can you jumper the FR/FL speaker also or it's only applicable to center channel? Is the benefit of using a jumper same with bi-wiring a speaker?
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Hi Gonzalr,

You can certainly jumper your mains (provided you have 2 sets of posts!). Be sure to use 10 - 12 AWG cable if possible. Someone else will have to answer the bi-wire question, but I don't believe it will do the same thing.

Cheers!
    Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2