The new MINI for 2007

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Can't say I'm impressed. While the exterior is a bit more sleeker and rounded off, the interior is a mess, very chopped up looking.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/14/bmw-unveils-2007-mini/

MINI07.jpg

One thing is for certain, I'll be keeping my '03.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2006
    Now that I've gotten all interested in upgrading the audio system in my car, i always notice now the trend with manufacturers to combine stereo systems with other devices. Here, it's the spedometer (?!?!?!), Honda blended the AC system with that as well, and others just remove all options from the consumer.

I'm also not a fan of the dash real estate taken up in the Mini with the (almost) steering wheel sized spedometer, but to each their own I suppose.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2006
    Good Grief! Could that spedometer get any bigger???:eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2006
    OMG I hate that interior...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Now that I've gotten all interested in upgrading the audio system in my car, i always notice now the trend with manufacturers to combine stereo systems with other devices. Here, it's the spedometer (?!?!?!), Honda blended the AC system with that as well, and others just remove all options from the consumer.

I'm also not a fan of the dash real estate taken up in the Mini with the (almost) steering wheel sized spedometer, but to each their own I suppose.....

On the originals that's all they had (not with the stereo, just a large speedometer). My brother in law is from Britain, and was over for my dad's birthday this weekend. He brought his over and that's the information I got from him.

It's a neat little car, but there's no way I would own one. You'd have to be a midget to fit in it comfortably. I tried....
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    Man, imagine hiding THAT spedomoter from your passengers! lol
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:

What???
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    What???
    You mean you don't drive so fast you don't want your passengers to know they should be praying for their safety? :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ND13
    edited August 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    You mean you don't drive so fast you don't want your passengers to know they should be praying for their safety? :D

If they can't take the heat, they need to get the hell out the kitchen, damnit!!!

It's my car, you don't like it, start steppin....hope ya brought some comfy shoes or you're gellin.
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2006
    Resized the pics, those were too huge.

I love the big speedometer in my MINI but they seem to have gotten bigger and uglier. I still cannot get over that hidious looking interior.
    If...
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2006
    Absolutely hideous.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited August 2006
    wow,

I can't tell the difference between the old Mini. I've ridden in one maybe about 3-4 times and see mini's all the time in the Parking lot but this looks the same to me.

oh well,

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,570
    edited August 2006
    That..

Is the ugliest... interior..Ive ever seen.

O...M...G
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited March 2007
    Well the mini's are kinda cool. But thats because they're different. Different isnt always good, but i think its half decent. Now the new 335i or '08 m3 is something to drool over. :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    It appears Flava Flav designed it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ND13
    edited March 2007
    Wtf?
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    No excuse to telling a police officer "Sorry Officer, I'm not sure how fast I was going"
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2007
    1. it looks just like all other Mini interiors
    2. "I didn't know how fast I was going because I forgot to look to my right to see my speedo." GHEY!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    Face wrote:
    It appears Flava Flav designed it.
    You nailed that one...I bet it detaches from the dash, and with the help of the handy gold chain in the glove box, you could look f'in retarded too!
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited March 2007
    i dont know. i like it.

the thing is MINI's aren't for everone. they are made to be different. its not meant to be drivin by the average joe. it is targeted towards a different breed.

if they put a tiny speedometer in the left side of the interior than it would be just like all the other cars. in marketing it sometimes pays to be different.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2007
    Not for me. I dont like it and i'm too tall for those anyway.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited March 2007
    the only thing i don't understand is how 4 adults can fit comfortably in that thing.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    Why do companies mess with success? I don't get it....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Why do companies mess with success? I don't get it....

Most of the auto press liked the changes to the MINI. It really hasn't hurt sales either. The brand was starting to slip some and it was time for an upgrade. Their sales were down worldwide by 6% during 2006 mainly because of plant retooling for the new model but sale for the 2006 model were down early during the year. The monthly sales of the 2007 model were up over the same month sales of the 2006 model in Oct, Nov. and Dec. The sold every MINI they made in 2006 (and more 188,000 sold vs 186,000 produced).

I have driven one and I'm 6'4"+ and really have no problems. Of course I also drove my wife's MG Midget years ago. Now THAT was tight.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2007
    Honda Civic ftw!

Not hardly. Mini's are in a whole other league. If you are at all a driving enthusiast, a Civic doesn't hold a candle to a Mini.

I think it's great what BMW has done with the Mini's. POLKOHOLIC hit the nail on the head. The Mini is about the only car in it's class that really breaks the mold on styling, and by doing so added a LOT of character.

I don't know that I would want one for everyday driving, but I'd certainly take one as a toy for the weekends.
    shack wrote:
    I have driven one and I'm 6'4"+ and really have no problems. Of course I also drove my wife's MG Midget years ago. Now THAT was tight.

My father has a '71 Midget, and you're right about being tight. I'm 6'2" and it is really tricky getting in and out, but once you're in them they have a shocking amount of leg and head room.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2007
    There is a digital speedometer readout in the tach, for those that cannot glace to the right.

I drive mine everyday, you can't keep me out of it. Last Monday I went the local tire shop and ditched my 175/65/15 Conti's and re-shoed her with some 205/55/15 BFG Traction TA's, hell-of-a difference driving now. Vastly improved traction, cornering...etc.

I went down to Irvine MINI a few days ago to pick up some parts, I checked out the newer MINI's. Not as bad looking in the wild but I still much prefer the design I have over this new one. Too bad the headlights are no longer mounted to the bonnet.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2007
    Anyone see Audi's new A1 their bringing out next year to compete with the MINI? Talk about Fugly.

1722.jpg

I highly, highly doubt MINI sales will be affected at all with this, it may even help increase MINI sales.
    If...
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2007
    Ron....did you get a Mini yet? I know in the past you had talked about owning one, just curious on if you have taken the plunge yet.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2007
    Ron....did you get a Mini yet? I know in the past you had talked about owning one, just curious on if you have taken the plunge yet.

Ummm.:rolleyes:
    Ron-P wrote:
    ....I drive mine everyday, you can't keep me out of it.....
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    cmy330go wrote:
    My father has a '71 Midget, and you're right about being tight. I'm 6'2" and it is really tricky getting in and out, but once you're in them they have a shocking amount of leg and head room.
    You have got to be kidding! When I drove that car, the tops of my knees were about 3" from the top of the steering wheel. If the top was up my head was pressing into the vinyl and I could reach over and touch the ground with my hand while sitting in the driver's seat. I looked like I was driving a go-kart.
    Ron-P wrote:
    Anyone see Audi's new A1 their bringing out next year to compete with the MINI? Talk about Fugly.

1722.jpg

I highly, highly doubt MINI sales will be affected at all with this, it may even help increase MINI sales.

One could always buy a Smart Fourtwo!

fortwo_passion_head.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson