New Sda Fundraiser/pipe Dream

Options
univera
univera Posts: 848
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I know its been discussed many times over, but I don't know that this idea has been proposed. This is more food for thought than expectation of actuality. I know Doro will remind us all of that....

However, it seems that THOUSANDS of dollars are thrown around by individuals on this website every day, and certainly every week. Hypothetically speaking, what if 50 guys (Wingnut, you too) commited to throwing in $2,000 each to finance development of a new, real deal (not an SDA Bar) pair of speakers. I have no clue what development costs are (I am sure I will be informed,) but this would add up to $100,000 right there. Seems like that would be a damn good start. Polk could then turn around and sell a new pair of SDA's as a specialty product to those who were interested. Based on this site, there would certainly be plenty of interested parties. The funds might not be raised overnight, but could be managed in an escrow account until the fundraising was completed.

Talk about the ultimate in product loyalty.....Yes, a pipedream, but I'd be curious to know how many people would commit if they truly knew they could raise the funds within say, a two year period. And, for sake of discussion, say that the new SDA's would run no more than $2,500 a pair, which seems to be an attainable price for many. The new line could be called Polk SDA Forum 2.2's or something like that! Deposits of $500 would be required by a set date before a limited production of several hundred pairs were manufactured.

Heck, with the know-how on this site, Polk could get some volunteer time to hand build these babies! Pipe dreams are always fun to indulge. Yes, I know this would limit things to just one pair of main speakers, but I am sure it would cost too much more to develop a full product line for HT, etc. I'm in......
UNIVERA
Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
AVR: NAD T 773
Rears: Polk LC80i
DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
Subs: Velodyne and M&K
T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
Post edited by univera on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2006
    Options
    $2k will get you the top of the line originals................why beat a dead horse?
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Wow Dennis, you just beat the poor guy and his dream on the head, rather than the horse.

I for one would go for a brand new pair of updated, upgraded, and improved 1.2 tl's (better than Darqueknight's modifications, if that's possible).
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2006
    Options
    $2k will get you the top of the line originals................

If...if....if....you can find a pair that are reasonably near you and have not been physically abused.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Polk isn't lacking the funds to make a new SDA speaker, they just don't want to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Thats a novel idea.
    I would be willing to fund this if all that participate would get a special limited edition and perhaps get the new sda speakers at cost.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2006
    Options
    bad idea. instead everyone send me your 2K and i'll invest it. hee hee hee.

Why live in the past? Polk Audio did the SDA thing and did it very well. Times change.. you and I and several others on this board would love to own some new and improved kind of SDA's, but the general public would not. They are to large and cumbersome for most home these days.

With 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 home theater systems... being much less expensive.. why would you pay 2 or 3K for a pair of SDA's, when you could have a better sounding 5.1 set up for that amount of money? And it would sound more surround-ish as well.

I"m not trying to kill your dream.. but hey.. let the past lie. It's like the Beatles getting back together. How many years did people try to get them back together? Did it ever happen? Sometimes reviving a classic can have negative affects.

Lets cherrish the SDA's still left in the world today.. and be proud to have been a part of audio history by owing a pair of the classic Polk Audio SDA. Be equally as proud to know there are those of us who will cherrish and baby those magnificant speakers till the end. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Polk does make an SDA speaker - it's called the SurroundBar.

Look for SDA tech coming in a high end in-wall series.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited August 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Look for SDA tech coming in a high end in-wall series.

And watch the tweakers try to toe-in these ****.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You know it.

Heck, I'd rather see a mini-monitor revisit or monitor 5/7 with new tech. Something small I can set on my desk, or use in the bedroom - an 'everyman' speaker (low $).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2006
    Options
    What was the flagship SDA speaker?

The SRS 2.3tL?

any pics?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited August 2006
    Options
    what about this bad boy?

i've never seen this one period.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/srtsystem/
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Polk doesn't need or want us building speakers for them. They own the SDA technology (or the patents) and have their own plan for it's application. The pros and cons have been debated ad-nauseum, but the bottom line is that we will never see a new "big" SDA again. The market simply is not there. The buying public is moving towards mulitchannel (thus the surroundbar and possibly inwall as Russ aludes) with relatively small footprints (if at all). The 2 channel crowd is small and declining (a niche market) and even within this group many purist viewed the SDA technology as a "gimmic". SDA fans are a small bunch that will probably have to make do with what is already there. Matt Polk has pretty much stated on this forum that he is intrigued by the loyal SDA fans, but he's been there, done that and is moving in other directions.

Your $2,000 will be better served buying, preserving and maintaining a vintage pair of SDAs if that is the speaker you want.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I disagree with the "large speakers won't sell" theory. There are actually still companies making and selling very large speakers. Yes, they cost more than $2k, but so what!?! The people buying big quality speakers have deep pockets. Hell, the 1.2TL's sold for $3400.00 15 years ago. You'd have to dreaming if you think Polk could make a large SDA for $2k today.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2006
    Options
    anyone got any more horses laying around we can beat to death now?? :p:p:p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Wait a few minutes, there's no shortage of horses around here.

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Large speakers are very popular today with folks who know their audio.

I am in on this SDA project but only if I get an official new set of Polk SDA glasses AND an official SDA couch.

RT1
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    Options
    $2k will get you the top of the line originals................why beat a dead horse?

Dennis, live a little. Indulge.... This was food for thought and just having some fun. Assume that the new speaks would be an improvement on the current. Nicer, better looking wood than my somewhat ugly, light oak wood that went out of fashion in the 80's. And, perhaps a more streamlined design, instead of the big rectangle. Don't get me wrong. I love my speakers. I don't like the massive looks in my relatively small room. A more pleasing shape wouldn't hurt WAF whatsoever.

An improved design that started from the ground up with better parts is what I was musing about. As often as people get rid of their gear, who wouldn't want a brand new, improved set? (Rhetorical question.) Not everyone is a tweaker (me) so I won't have DK's pair ever. Regardless, just having some fun. One never knows how another will take an idea and run with it.

As far as living in the past, I don't see how desiring an updated version of a proven winner is living in the past. Imagine if Porshe considered old designs "living in the past" and never harnessed the older technology for newer cars...The ideal with technology is to take it and update. Continuously improve. The general consensus is that the newer lines don't sound as good as the older SDA technology. In a sense, Polk isn't moving forward, even if they are appealing to the masses. No point beating that horse, but just addressing the "living in the past" statement.

For those saying multi-channel is more appealing, I say no way. Talk about gimic? If anyone thinks SDA is a gimic, than certainly multi-channel is a bigger gimic. Danger Boy, with all due respect, how can you say that 5.1 or 7.1 setups, while perhaps less expensive, are "better sounding" than a $2-3,000 pair of main speakers? I am certain many would disagree, especially 2 channel purists. I like both setups, but no way multi-channel surround speaker package beats out a dedicated, high end, 2 channel main pair of speakers. At least not in my mind. Perhaps that sound is more appealing to you, but I'll take up front "magic" any day over sound from everywhere.

Remember, the idea was a special edition speaker, not something for the masses and plainly to provoke thought.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited August 2006
    Options
    aaharvel wrote:
    What was the flagship SDA speaker?

The SRS 2.3tL?

any pics?

The SDA SRS, 1.2, and 1.2TL's were the flagship models during the SDA production years.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I basically tried to give the short version of why it is NOT going to happen. Wax poetic if you will, but this topic has been beat to death time and time again...so it is nothing new and nothing really thought provoking.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24186

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27961

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35393
    F1nut wrote:
    I disagree with the "large speakers won't sell" theory. There are actually still companies making and selling very large speakers. Yes, they cost more than $2k, but so what!?! The people buying big quality speakers have deep pockets. Hell, the 1.2TL's sold for $3400.00 15 years ago. You'd have to dreaming if you think Polk could make a large SDA for $2k today

Sure Jesse, big speakers are still being made/sold but as much as you might like it to happen at Polk with the SDA technology....you know it won't. I don't think Polk wants to be in the $10,000 speaker market which is probably where the 1.2TLs would be today.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2006
    Options
    shack wrote:
    I basically tried to give the short version of why it is NOT going to happen. Wax poetic if you will, but this topic has been beat to death time and time again...so it is nothing new and nothing really thought provoking.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24186

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27961

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35393

Sure Jesse, big speakers are still being made/sold but as much as you might like it to happen at Polk with the SDA technology....you know it won't. I don't think Polk wants to be in the $10,000 speaker market which is probably where the 1.2TLs would be today.

Actually,

I don't see 1.2TL's costing any more than the Legacy Focus 20/20 at $6500/pair. I reason this because when the original Focus was released it was $100 more than the 1.2TL $3595 and $3495 respectively. So, yes it is more than the $2500 first proposed but much less than the $10000 price quoted. I think Polk could make a large SDA for less than $7k using the LSI drivers. The problem would be the large gulf between what they offer now LSI 25 at $3k and large SDA at mid $6k. Do they want to enter that territory?

At this level things get very competitive even more so I think than the low end because this is the threshhold of people getting very dscrimenate about their products and it is the low end of exotica. It would be very tough. I for one would love to see it happen.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Polk was in the uber $$$ market with the SRT and it had new versions of the old technologies, (electronic SDA). I don't recall all the SDA owners taking out 2nds on their homes to hitch to this wagon and flooding the markets with their "old, outdated SDAs".

Some things are better left at rest. I don't want a new version of a Duesenburg, but finding an old one in a garage for a song would be nice.

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2006
    Options
    The problem is Polk is not presently interested in developing what would be a limited run speaker. That comes from the big three at PF06. Its just not there direction, vision or where their strategic planning seems to be headed.

RT1
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Who says a new SDA set has to be gigantic??? CRS+s do quite well, just ask Jesse and a few lucky others. SDA has/had nothing to do with sheer size, just that was the way back then. It could be done in a cabinet not any larger than most current floorstanders, just a little wider.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"