Alpine CDA-9857 + KCA420i Interface adaptor for iPod

Options
dangagnon62
dangagnon62 Posts: 2
edited July 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have bought this week a radio/CD CDA-9857 + KCA420i Interface adaptor for iPod. The main reason why I chose this model was to transfer all functions of the iPOD on the radio to avoid having the play with the Ipod while driving.

The technical support from my dealer is very poor. In fact, I was the first installation he did with such a set up. My problem, is that I cannot find the way to search by artist name, or by album name. Well, I got these lists a few times, but I do not know how I managed to get them and I never managed to repeat the actions I did.

I follow the instructions on the manual, but either I am doing wrong or there is something wrong with my set up. When I press the SEARCH button and turn the rotary encoder, I got two choices of list: either FILE or FOLDER, which in one case, always brings me to the Playlist and the other brings me to the list of tunes inside the playlist selected before.

According to the owners manual, I should have the following list when turning the encoder: Playlist - Artist- Album - Song - Playlist. I do not get these. When turning the encoder, I only get File - Folder - File , which always brings me to the Playlist.

Also in the owner manual, it explains how to do direct search functions by hittings the buttons 1 to 6 in search mode. It also explains how to select Playlist/Artit /Album by hitting the upper or lower arrows, omn the left sdie of the radio. For any case, nothing works as explained. In fact, nothing happens for both the above functions.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and what I should do before I send the system back to my dealer!

:confused:
Post edited by dangagnon62 on

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dont send the setup back, Im using the alpine with interface in my lex, you should be able to press the folder buttion then see Artists, Album, and so on. If you dont make sure youre not in the Shuffle mode or you wont see any of this when you press folder. I have been using this exact same Alpine system for a year and love it. Im using those new Alpine Subs too the X-type, 2 Alpine 1000 watt mono amps and 1 Alpine 4 channel amp model 545. I have to alpine is a great setup. PM me if you have any other questions and I will try to help u sort it out as best I can.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • dangagnon62
    dangagnon62 Posts: 2
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Sherap:

When you plug your Ipod on your system, does the system sees it as a changer or Ipod? I have no changer but when I select the source, I see either tuner, disk or disk changer, which I did not install. I hane no indication that the iPod is connected, but it plays.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited July 2006
    Options
    yeah mine even has the Ipod Icon, I select it then my screen reads Alpine Ipod
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • jderdock
    jderdock Posts: 131
    edited July 2006
    Options
    1-6 will jump to different places in the alphabet once you're in your Artist/Album/Song menu.

I think you need to take a little bit closer of a look at the instruction manual.

alpine.jpg
    Rega P3 > Parasound Zphono > NAD C320BEE > Polk LSi 15
  • pancho681
    pancho681 Posts: 6
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dangagnon62

The CDA-9857 has an iPod direct function that does not require the KCA420i. The KCA420i was for the first gen iPod interface and would come up as a changer.The second gen came up as iPod but the transfer rate or how fast you can scroll through the songs was kinda slow. Your 9857 connects to your iPod through a KCE-422i and then it will show as an iPod.

The search that jderdock was talking about is called percentage search and when you press anyone of the preset i.e. 1 it takes you to 10% preset 4 takes you to 40% and so on and so on.

Its probably one of the nicest and easiest iPod interfaces on the market and the 9857 is also a nice deck

Hope this helps
  • jderdock
    jderdock Posts: 131
    edited July 2006
    Options
    pancho681 wrote:
    Your 9857 connects to your iPod through a KCE-422i and then it will show as an iPod.

ah...i totally glazed over that little detail
    Rega P3 > Parasound Zphono > NAD C320BEE > Polk LSi 15
  • pancho681
    pancho681 Posts: 6
    edited July 2006
    Options
    no problem jderdock :cool: