The point of diminishing returns...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited August 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
What dollar amount do you feel maximizes peformance at a point of diminishing returns? List for: (use globally accepted street prices, new equipment only for a good baseline):

1. Power amplifier
2. Preamplifier
3. Speakers
4. IC cables
5. Speaker cables
6. CD/SACD Player/transport
7. External DAC
8. Turntable/cartridge combo
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Based on used prices:

1. $500
    2. $400
    3. hard to say; if you know what you're buying, it can be done with $300; if not, it'll take at least $750 for floorstanders
    4. $100
    5. $125
    6. $500 - $600
    7. I dunno
    8. I dunno
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2006
    Options
    You can't put a $ amount on it really. It's when you hit 98%, maybe even 99% of what sound you like. It's that last 1-2% of improvement that cost an astronominal amount.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2006
    Options
    How about obsessiveness with a specific brand? For me, regardless of improvement level or price factor (obviously the cheaper the better, and primarily based on one's budget), I always longing to own a Levinson. Yes, I love the sound, and no, I haven't got to the point of willing and able to justify its cost (new, used, or otherwise). So, it feels like a double whammy for me. dunno.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2006
    Options
    1. $800
    2. $1000
    3. $3000
    4. $50/1 meter pair
    5. $40/8ft pair
    6. $500
    7. N/A
    8. N/A

Jared
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    polkatese wrote:
    How about obsessiveness with a specific brand? For me, regardless of improvement level or price factor (obviously the cheaper the better, and primarily based on one's budget), I always longing to own a Levinson. Yes, I love the sound, and no, I haven't got to the point of willing and able to justify its cost (new, used, or otherwise). So, it feels like a double whammy for me. dunno.

True, I'd like to own a pair of $46,000 Wilson speakers, but I bet I could find a pair at $7,500 that would perform as well, or would be so close, that the extra cost would not be justifiable---
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Early B.
    edited July 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    You can't put a $ amount on it really. It's when you hit 98%, maybe even 99% of what sound you like. It's that last 1-2% of improvement that cost an astronominal amount.

Yeah, that sums it up. And virtually every speaker or other component you buy won't provide you with 100% of the sound you're looking for, no matter how much you pay for them.

Obviously, if I had more money, my point of diminishing returns would be a lot higher. So I suppose the question you're really asking in this thread is: "Based on your budget, how much are you willing to spend to the point where you are satisfied with what you have?"
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I can't even be sure of the "sound" I'm looking for. It just seems to be improving with various changes or components. I would need to hear other systems for comparison but I have no friends who are into this. That leaves listening in audio stores, which I haven't really done yet.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Good thread Steve! Ok.. so NEW only... point of dimishing returns...

Ok....

1. Power amplifier - $10,000
    2. Preamplifier - $5,000
    3. Speakers - $10,000
    4. IC cables - No experience
    5. Speaker cables - No experience
    6. CD/SACD Player/transport - $3000
    7. External DAC - $1000
    8. Turntable/cartridge combo - No experience
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    So I suppose the question you're really asking in this thread is: "Based on your budget, how much are you willing to spend to the point where you are satisfied with what you have?"

No, not based on your budget, but what you feel is the dollar point where your bang-for-the-buck ratio is seriously diminishing...
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    This is a subjective question by nature, no laws, no rules. Like asking what does a $685 interconnect do, that a $200 one doesn't do---that type of premise...where do you feel performance has peaked, and hype or rediculously expensive materials (that really don't contribute to the sound) begins?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2006
    Options
    To me the point of diminishing returns starts once you get a reasonable output which you can enjoy listening to. In one of your other threads Oshkigod and I mention a 3960 DVD, SI amp and home brew speakers which could yield a decent sound for somewhere between $175 and $350.

So, I propose anything over this range is a step up on the curve, which means diminishing returns has already started. Lets face it, upgrading your amps from $100 to $1000 is no more breathtaking than upgrading your $1000 amps to $10000 ones and so on.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2006
    Options
    For my price points... I'm looking at the point where a speaker/gear at that pricepoint is already soo good, that any more would be more than enough to satisfy my tastes.

To me, that's the point of dimishing returns.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Early B.
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Diminishing returns is based almost exclusively on your budget, not your ear.

With more money, other considerations besides sound come into play such as aesthetics, brand name, power, investment value, build quality, etc. For instance, if I had more money, I'd buy much more expensive speakers, not necessarily because they sound better than what I already have, but because I can. Period.

I'll say it again for the 23rd time -- price don't mean **** when it comes to audio.

• steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Sean--

Lemme repeat again...."where do you feel performance has peaked, and hype or rediculously expensive materials (that really don't contribute to the sound) begins?"

I ask you what time it is, and you're telling me how to build a watch...LOL
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    It's that last 1-2% of improvement that cost an astronominal amount.

Astronominal. Thats officially my new favorite word. It has permanently occupied space in my own personal lexicon. And the thing is, its oddly appropriate here.

I agree though, it all depends. The specific point of diminshing returns really relates to the synergy and capabilities of the other gear in the rig. Its not like you can really affix one set limit to a specific piece of gear.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    Dammit Geezer, I answered it and then some! Go shoot off your guns or something! :p

Geezer!..LOL, sheesh I'm 44, not a 144.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2006
    Options
    +1 for astronominal

I've already used it twice:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Hmm, how much does a crappy boombox cost from walmart? That's my answer. Before that, no sound, after-some. Biggest difference you could possibly make is gainesd for the least amount of $. I'll go with the $5 clock radio for all answers.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'm with madmax- I think the scale is loglinear. You've gotta multiply price to get an additive improvement. It's also somewhat circular/ iterative. Does a $2000 amp sound better than a $1000 amp on a $400 pair of speakers? or are we assuming that you had a set of basically perfect gear otherwise, where is the point for this individual piece.

Anyhow, give all that, I'd call it the point where the gear starts coming down to personal preference... in that no objective listener can really say one is better, just different.

1-Power amp $4000
    2-pre amp $2000
    3-Speakers $7000
    4-IC's $200/pair
    5-Sp cables $200/pair
    6-CD player I dunno... I'm starting to be convinced it's all in the DAC
    7-DAC $1000
    8-TT- $1200

About half those prices that is where I feel comfortable that I'm not over spending... for my ears and salary 'cept maybe the DAC & TT- those I could probably spend to the full point.

One thing I gotta take issue with- Early, $750 is the point for speakers??? I can understand going low anyplace else, but you've gotta go higher on speakers. In fact, up to about twice that, you almost always get twice the speaker for twice the cash.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early said "at least $750."
  • unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    Early said "at least $750."

Good point. I just saw that and choked.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    One thing I gotta take issue with- Early, $750 is the point for speakers??? I can understand going low anyplace else, but you've gotta go higher on speakers. In fact, up to about twice that, you almost always get twice the speaker for twice the cash.

What does, "twice the speaker" mean?

I'll say it again for the 24th time...price don't mean a damn thing in audio.

• unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:

I mean that you could take the best $750 speakers you could find, then you go get the best $1500 pair, take 30 people (with good ears), have them listen to them both, and about 27 would say, "Damn- that IS a lot better". $1500 vs $3000, it'll drop. $3000 vs $6000 and you'll get even fewer. Much beyond that, it's just personal preference.

I remember my first go round listening to polks- I think it was $800 rt800i's, $1000 Rt1000i's and $2000 Rt2000i's. The 2000's were waaaaaay better than the 1000's. So much better that I was truly surprised, but I ended up with 1000's 'cause i couldn't afford the 2000's at the time.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:

But it sure as heck would mean that a speaker by the SAME company at double the price would more than likely have a better group of parts used than the lesser model and if you believe in that company, the more expensive model would better fit the company's embodiement of sound reproduction.

You can say price dont mean a damn thing, but in this world where price dictates the parts used, price sure as hell means something to my ears.

I guess... what I'm trying to say is that:
    Price doesnt necessarily equate to a better product, but it sure as hell is likely.
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:

...and that is called an "opinion." Does every thread on this forum lately have to be a battle? It's a subjective observation...in other words, there are no wrong answers. Christ, some of you need to get laid.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I agree.. it's an opinion... so is mine.

I'm not saying he's wrong, Steve. I'm just saying that from my perspective, this is what I believe.

That's all... no battles or anything.
  • unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Early is right that there are some huge deals to be had in audio, and you can put together a pretty damn good system on the cheap (see the $1500 thread, also by steve), but i think the diminishing returns on speakers is a lot higher than most other gear and way more than $300 even if you do know what you're doing.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    I mean that you could take the best $750 speakers you could find, then you go get the best $1500 pair, take 30 people (with good ears), have them listen to them both, and about 27 would say, "Damn- that IS a lot better". $1500 vs $3000, it'll drop. $3000 vs $6000 and you'll get even fewer. Much beyond that, it's just personal preference.

Not true. You'll quickly get hung up on with trying to identify the "best $750 speakers you can find."

Price doesn't always dictate build quality or sound quality. Some speakers costing thousands of dollars have cheap crossover components and use inexpensive drivers. Sometimes it ain't about SQ, it's about marketing, folks. Too often we get hung up on price and believe that a relatively higher priced component is going to sound "better." BOSE is a great example of a company that exploits this false belief.

How many times have you bought more expensive interconnects or speaker cables only to find that the less expensive ones you had sounded "better" on your system?

I've personally had three pair of speakers that cost 2-3x times what I paid for my current speakers, and in my opinion, the Buggs will easily blow all of them away. I've had the same experience with certain amps, speaker cables, and interconnects. We even have a term for this stuff -- "giant killers."

• unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    So you're saying that if you, personally, ever buy a pair of speakers costing more than the Buggtussels, you'll be wasting money?

I mean, yeah, there are plenty of giant killers out there, but there's a limit to what you can do for under $1000. Take the krell LAT-2's. $10,000 MSRP, totally over priced. The've got $500 worth of drivers, and about $500 worth of aluminum, machining and crossover. You just can't create something like that for under $1000... but let's say you magic one up for $1000. Does this mean that you wouldn't buy it?

I agree that money & audio is weird, but I still think you're going way too low.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    So you're saying that if you, personally, ever buy a pair of speakers costing more than the Buggtussels, you'll be wasting money?

Obviously I'm not implying that. However, I think we can both agree that there are plenty of giant killers out there. Part of the fun, for me, is to seek them out. Besides, I don't have deep pockets (if I did, I'd keep my hands in them more often:p ).

There are so many choices and preferences in audio and so many price points that it's tough to talk about a relationship between price and sound quality. If a direct correlation between price and quality existed in audio, then we can discuss diminishing returns. Otherwise, we'll keep going in circles.