2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Holydoc wrote:
    Doro,

Out of curiosity, what is that thing ontop of your system that is spitting out that blue spaghetti? And why do you have it up there?

If your wife is allowing that thing to sit up there, I am beginning to understand why she would like the black over the very smooth sounding cherry.

;)

All kidding aside, nice rig.

It's the cable from the head-amp to the headphones. It's up there because it's simply more convenient for volume adjustment.

:D In hindsight, the cherry would have been cooler, but I can always order those panels if I feel motivated.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I used to have a pair of Rogers Ls 35a's so I know what you mean about laid back, I don't find my 15's laid back sounding. They can handle being seperated quite far apart and respond real well to moderate toe in.

I agree...laid back to me is definetly not an LSi, but it's all subjective. That's a nice speaker, where are they now? Any one reason you moved them down the road?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    McLoki wrote:
    We kept telling WingNut to get a real amplifier and turn those things up. I guess she got rid of the speakers rather than upgrade her wimpy ol' Cinnova. :p

Play with placement and maybe even try bi-wiring just to see if you hear a difference. I would be very surprized if after a year in WingNuts home theater they weren't well broken in.

Doro - what do you think of the 15's compared to the 7's? I always thought they work together VERY well. Oddly enough - I thought they sounded better together than the 9's and 15's did (for multi channel). Don't know why.

Michael

Mike - I LOVE the LSi7. I would have never sold them if I didn't get associated with CFrizz :) I also prefer the LSi7 over the LSi9. I'm always impressed by a bookshelf that can do so much, so well. A bookend has so much to live up to as a floorstander should sound better and bigger, so theres no mystery in it for me.

Totem would be another example of kickass bookshelf speakers.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I agree...laid back to me is definetly not an LSi, but it's all subjective. That's a nice speaker, where are they now? Any one reason you moved them down the road?

The LSi arent laid back to me... they lack the sheer sibilance of a number of other speakers and this might be the reason why a lot of people have regarded the LSi as laid back.

The LSi have an uncanny ability to put the vocals right down center and a little infront of the musical plane.. good depth if you ask me. They love power and thrive on beefier amps from my experience.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I was starting to feel like a minority in here, thanks folks :)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    Options
    BINGO!!!! I have listened to quite a few speakers while @ Spearit Sound & the majority had me wincing with all the sibilance that my ears where picking up. I believe they called it accuracy, I called it painful & irritating turning the music I love into something I could barely listen to!

So I will take any laid back Polk over all the other accurate speakers any day of the week!
    Joey_V wrote:
    The LSi arent laid back to me... they lack the sheer sibilance of a number of other speakers and this might be the reason why a lot of people have regarded the LSi as laid back.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Wow Mark, I had no idea!:) Please know that they are very well cared for & loved by my brother & see lots of use. And soon they will be getting a big upgrade in power when I send down my Parasound to him.

While the 50 wpc Rotel has done a good job, it doesn't have any headroom judging from the fact that you can fry an egg on top of the poor thing when it's been put through a movie or 2!:D
    dorokusai wrote:
    Mike - I LOVE the LSi7. I would have never sold them if I didn't get associated with CFrizz :) I also prefer the LSi7 over the LSi9. I'm always impressed by a bookshelf that can do so much, so well. A bookend has so much to live up to as a floorstander should sound better and bigger, so theres no mystery in it for me.

Totem would be another example of kickass bookshelf speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I know for a fact that the LSi9's powered with the Proceed gear I have sound very, very sweet. And so do all the people that come to visit. I am no expert, but laid back they are NOT!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    Options
    It's all subjective, however it may well be its my first higher end speaker and i simply don't know what it supposed to sound like.. or i just plain aint used to high qaulity speakers

and my comment about not being broken in, was because when i visited darla she gave us a demo and said she never listens at loud levels and not all that much.. so i could assume they never got enough play time to fully break in.. doesnt matter how much amp you have if its not used or even pushed a bit...

Just a notion i threw out there :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • GATOR3000
    GATOR3000 Posts: 355
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Question about Lsi15’s……………I’m expecting my 15’s soon. I know 15’s are marked left and right on the back label of the speaker. Just wondered is the subwoofer on the left side of the speaker and the tweeter on the front right side? Hard to tell from the pics I have seen so far. Thanks.

Gator :):)
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    Receiver Denon AVR 3806 Pre/Pro
    Parasound HCA 1500A amp (front L/R)
    Parasound HCA 1000A amp (centre)
    B & K AV5000 amp (bi-amp + surround)
    Dynaco ST70 tube amp (Herbie HAL-O9)
    polkaudio Lsi15 (Cherry) 2-channel
    polkaudio Rti8 Front (Cherry)
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    polkaudio PSW1000 Subwoofer (Cherry)
    Original A8T CD
    Pioneer DV-275 DVD Player
    MONSTER CABLE MP-HTS3500MKII Powercentre
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Subwoofer out, tweeter inside.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Typically, the better a speaker is, the more it disappears into the room. This might be where the "laid back" observations come from. Plus we tend to compare things to what we had previously, so if your last speaks were a little hot on the high-end, naturally a more nuetral speaker is going to sound laid back a bit.

I noticed it big time when I switched from the Athena AS-F2 to my Connoisseur C-9's. It threw me at first, but once I got a few days of listening in, I really enjoyed the tonal balance of the Energy, especially at higher volumes. It didn't realize how hot the Athenas were until I had the C-9. I also realized that my Pinnacle Classic Gold towers were a far better speaker than the Athena. Hindsight is wonderful, no? It's a shame that Pinnacle has jumped on the "HT bandwagon" they had some seriously good speakers.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • GATOR3000
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Subwoofer out, tweeter inside.

Thanks doro. U R a champ.
    Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    Original A8T CD
  • GATOR3000
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Talking about Lsi15’s I have another question………….

I have a 3806 pre/pro setup for HT with Rti’s all around. My fronts Rti8’s are powered by Parasaund HCA-1500A 2 channel amp.

If I want to listen to 2 channel stereo…………..can I hook up the Lsi15’s on my Denon 3806 “Zone 2” and be able to listen to 2 channel stereo through my LSi15's without touching the HT RTi's? If so how do I hook it up? I have the Rti8’s going to my Parasound amp already. Would I have to add a 'Y' splitter at the amp? Still learning here guys. Thanks.

Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    Original A8T CD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    Options
    zone 2's arent what they are cracked up to be, not for 2 channel listening imo. just sound in another room. and the volume on my denon anyways is kinda weird and isnt full volume of what the receiver puts out in regulaw mode, and i wouldnt run both sets of speakers off the parasound..if that was the intention, it can work but no where near optimum
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • GATOR3000
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Faster…..I wasn’t going to run them with the amp simultaneously. When you choose “Zone 2” you can also set A or B or A+B so only one set of speakers would play.

Theatre System 5.1
    Sumsung HP-S5053 plasma
    polkaudio Csi5 Centre
    polkaudio Rti6 Surround
    Original A8T CD
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Gator,
    The subs are on the outboard side of the 15's.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • race4aliving
    race4aliving Posts: 12
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I sold them years ago when I moved into a larger place and bought some DQ 10's, those I sold to my brother when the kids strarted to arrive :) he still has those and they still sound great.
    MOS 18 Bravo,Retired

Mains-LSi15 powered by a Accuphase P300

Center-LSiC powered by a Marantz Ma500

Surounds-LSiFX powered by a Hafler P505

Subwoofer-SVS- PB12-Ultra/2

Pre/Pros-Denon AVR 4802

DVD/SACD/DVD-A-Denon DVD-2900

Flat Screen-Panasonic TH-50PX5000U

Tape-Nakamichi 580

SAE 2800 Parametric Equalizer
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Faster, I think that if you want the uppers to be at the most the tweeter should be directly at your ears. If your ears are above the tweeters then yes toe up would be good but if your ears are level they I would think not. I would try to stay on-axis with the tweeters as much as possible.

Not an expert but just my .02 cents

Thanks,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote