Here is the system:
Adcom GTP-400 Pre/Tuner
Adcom GCD-600 CD Player
Adcom GFA 545II Power Amp
Sony Turntable (el Cheapo)
Sony Cassette player (el Cheapo)
Magnepan SMGb Speakers.
Monster Cables throughout.

OK guys I hope you can help me. I am perplexed. I was getting a lot of static out of my 2 ch. system (source does not matter, CD, TT, Tuner) that would start in the right channel and travel to the left. This static (which sounds like white noise) would eventually cover the music up completely. At first, I thought it was in my Maggies (SMGb), so I borrowed the Polk Monitor 4’s from my son’s system and the static remained. I called my friend at the audio store and he told me to try reversing the cables running from the amp to the pre-amp at the amp end. If the static appears in the left speaker, first we know the right channel is bad. Well guess what, when I reverse the cables the static goes away.:confused: It has run two days static free. I put the cables back in their normal position the static comes back. I don’t get! :mad:
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
Post edited by xsmi on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Well, it sounds like it's the cables. Typically Monster isn't the choosen cable around here, but they build a solid product that rarely fails. Try swapping other IC's and see what results you get then. Do you still have the Adcom cable that came with the amp? If so just try it and see what happens. Electricity is finicky little bugger sometimes, even having a cable or two too close to a power cord can cause issues. I've chased down plenty of electrical "gremlins" but nothing like you describe.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Unfortunatly, I boughht the gear second hand so I don't have the Adcom cable.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Still, I'd bet it's the cable, atleast start there.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!