S6 woofer glue

Options
Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited July 2006 in Troubleshooting
The rubber surround on my S6 is coming undone where the surround meets the speaker basket. Instead of buying a new driver I would like to repair it. What kind of glue is recommend. Will rubber cement work? thanks for any help.

Jockos
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Epoxy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    2 part epoxy? I was on parts express and they had a speaker repair glue how's that?

Thanks,

Jockos
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited July 2006
    Options
    That would probably work fine. Most manufacturers use a cyanoacrylate adhesive, which is a fancy name for "crazy glue". although I would like to think it is of higher quality.

Of course if they have foam surrounds, don't go near it with crazy glue, it will melt the foam.
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thanks; I used super glue and that seems to have worked. Seems like the adhesive is coming apart on all the drivers. It is very dry and brittle. The S series drivers have an unusual design; the rubber actually goes over the basket and there are 4 rubber pins molded into the surround that fit into the steel stamped basket, seems like a production gig to save time. I think epoxy would have been stronger but thats a longer project for next time. Seems like no one ever talks about the S series.......... Anyway Thanks for all the advice