I got some new Car Detailing stuff to try...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited July 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I picked up some Nanowax and some Armor All tire shine gel, (supposedly the deepest, darkest, shiniest, blackest shine you can get.)

I waxed my truck with some Mcguires show car wax (11 bucks a pop) today, but i am going to wax it again tommorow with the Nanowax and see what type of difference, if any there is.

Then I am going to try out this tire shine gel...

Anyone use any of this stuff before?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2006
    I really like the Meguire's NXT generation gel. It works very well, and for a while.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Thats their wax right?

I was sitting in Advance for 10 minutes trying to decide if it was worth the 3 more dollars over the Nanowax...

Ill get it -next- time (which there will be a next time...so lol)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited July 2006
    No, that is their tire gel.

I know the wax you are talking about, it also has the same NXT name. I thought about buying it, but passed. The next time I wax my car I am going to give it a shot though.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    The thing that made me buy it was the Nanotechnology. Im interested in seeing the "smaller carnuba particles in action" vs Maguires "regular size carnuba particles in action" hahahaha... so yeah, Ill let you know how it rolls!

And I just realized you were talking about Maguires NXT wax, which I want to try as well.

When I was trying to find some tire shine gel, I was looking for some Maguire stuff, for the life of me I could find none. Oh well, maybe next time...

How much of the gel do you need to apply to the tires? Does it last a long time or not long at all as far as applying it goes?
  • 1996blackmax
    edited July 2006
    The NXT tire gel lasts a while. I am actually calling it a gel, but it comes in a spray can. It is the same stuff tha Meguire's had as a gel before. Even after going through a car wash it is still there. It may not be very shinny, but the tire is still dark. You do not have to put too much on. The thing is that you also do not want to as it will spray out some if you put on too much. I found that if I put some on and apply some later on it does not do this. The thing is that with one application it is already pretty darn shinny. Good stuff.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Im trying to get away from spray on anything...

Mainly because any type of wind creates an awful "overspray" and gets on the vehicle... (this happens even if I do a light spray real close to the tire...)

Anything like tire shine/armor all on the paint sucks...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited July 2006
    I know what you mean, when it's windy I spray it on a a foam applicator. They use to have the gel stuff that was kind of purpleish in color. I just can't seem to find it anywhere.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Yeah...

Ive never used the gel stuff before...

If this stuff works out good, I may try the interior gel protectant...

I usually spray my stuff on a rag, but I never could get the same effect on tires unless I sprayed it directly on...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited July 2006
    I remember doing that with the regular old Armor All. Even with that, if you just sprayed it you could get pretty good results. The only thing is that it was pretty messy, and still does not work as well as the gel.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Im using Maguires Hot Shot at the moment, it works good...

But Im looking for a deep shine, like mirror almost...

I know its hard to do...but Im searchin!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2006
    But Im looking for a deep shine, like mirror almost...

I know its hard to do...but Im searchin!

zaino

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    only thing I dont like about Zaino is they arnt sold near me...

Sounds odd, I know...

But if they are, please point me in the direction...
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    OK...

First things first, I waxed and used the gel on my tires...

The wax, by far the easiest wax I have used. It was very easy to get off and it left a very smooth, shiney finish. I dont think it did much better than Maguires show car gloss as far as shine, but it left a smoother finish and it like I said was FAR** easier to get off and it hazed over alot faster...

Now...the part I am very excited about. This tire shine gel...

Holy... crap - my tires... look beyond brand spanking new. They have a DEEP reflective shine... I mean it even has a reflection with the wheel... VERY insane. It is exactly what I am looking for. I also used it on my 15 year old weather stripping and holy hell.. no more spots, just a deeeeeeeeeeep black...

GOD good stuff. Well worth the money!!!

Ill post some pics sometime tommorow probally...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited July 2006
    I got one work for you...

Zaino
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2006
    only thing I dont like about Zaino is they arnt sold near me...

Sounds odd, I know...

But if they are, please point me in the direction...

Its not sold in chain stores. Its not a wax and I've seen the results in person. After my current Meguiar's supply runs out, I'm switching.

Think SVS.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    awesome, i'm a big detailer also... always have detailed my cars even when they were junkers.. I use mequires (sp) gold class wax i guess it's called and love it.. I have been looking for a better tire treatment though.. Cool
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    The Nanowax has the same kind of shine....

HOWEVER, as I noted above - its alot cleaner and smoother finish. It goes on and off easier and it hazes faster.

With Maguires - Ive spent over 2 hours on the hood just to get it off to where I could get a nice clean shine...

I did the same thing with the Nanowax in, i kid you not - 30 minutes.

I have an old hood with the original paint so the hood fades fairly fast and I do it every couple of weeks to keep it a deep red.

But I liked it alot better than the Gold Class wax... but it cost a buck or two more.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2006
    BTW, I'm not a big fan of alot of those tire dressing products.

Get yourself some 303 aerospace and be done with it...

Tire manufacturers mix polymers and waxes into rubber to inhibit ultra violet and ozone damage. Without these components they will degrade and or dry rot. Carbon Black is the ingredient that makes the tire black. It does its work by absorbing and capturing harmful UV's and converting them into heat so they may be dissipated or thrown off harmlessly. All UV stabilizers get used up. Eventually they can no longer protect the tire from UV damage and the tire begins to change color. Using petroleum based protectants (simple blends of either kerosene or mineral spirits, combined with the silicone oils) strip away the protective waxes/polymers from rubber.

Vehicle manufacturers and component suppliers work very hard to provide vinyl components that will withstand the punishment of high heat, ultra violet rays, and ozone. Waterborne polymer type dressings are recommended for use on interior and exterior vinyl parts for the same reasons as dealing with tires. The only difference with vinyl is that we must protect the plasticizers in the vinyl. In simple terms- Remove the plasticizers-and you remove the color and flexibility of the vinyl. You have seen seats, instrument panels, etc. that have a dull or chalky look. You will find petroleum distillates were applied to these vinyl components.
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Ive heard both sides of the story...

Side 1) Armor All causes your plastic/rubbers to crack

Side 2) Not using Armor All causes your plastic/rubbers to crack...

Well Ive seen alot of vehicles that have never used armor all and over 50% have messed up doors, seats, dashes.. and some are fine, but arnt that old...

On the flip side, I have not seen one vehicle when used on a regular basis have the plastics/rubbers cracked.

My Dash, doors, anything plastic or rubber looks very healthy...

Now I guess you are saying that some products replace certain parts of the tire therefore degrading their life??

The only thing about tire products is - I am very picky. This is about the 6th product Ive tried to find what I want to get (the very shiney, reflective black look) - and I will most likely keep using it because it gives me those results...

I like very healthy looking tires and interiors... and silicone/armor all based products seem to work best.

Funny thing is, the tire gel looks to be nothing but silicone in a tube... haha - funny stuff...
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Its not sold in chain stores. Its not a wax and I've seen the results in person. After my current Meguiar's supply runs out, I'm switching.

Think SVS.

PThuggy..

When your Maguires wax runs out...

Order some Zaino and do half your hood then post pics...
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2006
    PThuggy..

When your Maguires wax runs out...

Order some Zaino and do half your hood then post pics...
    http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Definitely an interesting test...

I agree with the test whole heartedly about the Maguires Gold Class wax. That stuff just dosnt last long, its a short term shine that really isnt that good then.

Im curious to see how this Nanowax holds up. I may give Zaino a try after I run out of the Nanowax (assuming it dosnt perform to par...) It is far smoother than the Maguires was and it shines better... so who knows.

Will keep you updated.

Im really just trying everything... so one piece at a time! ;)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2006
    Now I guess you are saying that some products replace certain parts of the tire therefore degrading their life??
    Not really, sort of I guess. Petroleum based products actually strip the Carbon material from the tires. Here's an easy experiment to try:

Take a couple tires in like condition. Treat one with a petroleum based product like Armor-All for a few months, treat the other with a waterbourne product like 303 Aerospace for a few months. Now leave them both untreated for a month (you can wash them, but no treatment). Take a look at them at the end of the month. Now which one looks brown - it'll be the one treated with a petrolyum product every time, because the Armor-All or whatever is stripping the Carbon out. The extent to which you'll notice this difference depends on how long you've been Armor-All, the longer you use it the more it strips out the Carbon and the more difference you'll notice.

Stuff like Armor-All works fine, as long as you keep it consistantly applied. The complaints about cracking and stuff usually only come from people who don't keep applying the product they use.

if you want the really wet tire look, then I guess you don't have a choice but to use a petroleum product.

If you're looking for a more natural, deep black look then go with something like 303 Aerospace.

I'm not just targeting Armor-All either, this applies for most of the stuff out on the market.

Bottom line, 303 is generally regarded as the best UV protection product in the industry, and you won't find a better protectant for your car. The downside is that it's only available online and is a bit pricey at around 20 bucks for a bottle.
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    Yeah....

Well I mean I fully* detail my truck about every 2-3 weeks and do what I need to get it back to where it was a few weeks before...

Sometimes I need to wax it, sometimes I need to armorall the interior - sometimes I dont have to do alot, sometimes I do...

This time of year, how hot it is - I am definitely going through alot more than say I was during the winter... lol

But I will be applying the armor all to the tires atleast twice a month most likely...

I really cant stand "dirty" - I like my stuff to be insanely clean, inside and out - same goes for my room, etc... Im just a clean freak...
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    This is probally a dumb question...

But is there anything you can put on lights (like the actual light covering) that will give them their "shine/gloss" look back?

My light covers are old and are dull looking, Ive tried waxing it with a high speed buffer and buffing a shine back to them. I got a LITTLE bit more shine, but no real gloss look going. I guess they are just old?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2006
    yeah, maguires makes some stuff called Plastik or something like that - works really well
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    HMMMMMMMMMMMM.........

Does it need to be buffed on?

Im going to pick up a bottle in my next adventure to Advance....

Thanks
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    all the car forums I'm part of always rant about Zaino. I need to try it here soon, now that i can wash my car in my driveway vs in an apt. parking lot.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • VR3
    edited July 2006
    The only thing I dont like about Zaino from what Ive read...

They take a LONG time to use...

Let the wax/polish set for an HOUR?

Yeah...right... I would be detailing my truck all day vs a few hours...

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...