FS:ADCOM GFA-565 Monoblock Amplifiers

Options
2»

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I'm still kicking myself for hesitating on the mono's,,damn,I'm dumb AND slow:o
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Buy the Counterpoint... ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Believe me I've thought about it,I want to bi-amp my Lsi's and/or the SRS 2's,I've got a Belles 350a and a Anthem amp 2 se,so I guess that I have to get one the same :confused:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • jdhdiggs
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Not neccessarily, just make sure the gains are the same or the higher gain amp has variable gain capabilities
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    James dropped by the other day to pick up the monoblocks, thanks much. We talked shop a little bit and I also met his wonderful wife. They may have been talked into attending Polkfest '06 but we'll see what happens :)

Enjoy the new power.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats! :D

Going to Polk Fest? Scary....:p
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    James dropped by the other day to pick up the monoblocks, thanks much. We talked shop a little bit and I also met his wonderful wife. They may have been talked into attending Polkfest '06 but we'll see what happens :)

Enjoy the new power.

Still strongly doubtful on attending. It would be a royal pain in the butt and with the current schedule, I don't even know where the hell I'll be that weekend so I'm going to say no to going unless something drastically changes... And the wife, well, unless pigs sprout wings and jet engines, she won't be going.

All in all though, a decent visit, just wished we didn't have so many freaking errands that day...

Only problems so far with the amps:

1). Different gain than the Knight's
    2). Passive pre-amp dial only goes to 4 o'clock, time for a new pre....
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Aw, c'mon, James....Polkfest will be a BLAST. Charleston is a GREAT town, the lovely Wendi can keep the better half occupied for sure, pluse she would LOVE some female representation, ahem, Cathy, Darla....

BDT

PS, if you move the adcom, let me know, I wouldn't mind having it back.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I'm keeping the adcom, I dig the passive pre idea. Additionally, it has built in protection for the maggies (Can't turn it up too loud if the gains are set to the 565's). If I can reduce the gain on the knights and counterpoints, I could tri-amp with not threat of blowing the speakers even with the fuses replace by wire....

I'll talk to her about it but it's doubtful....
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2006
    Options
    The input sensitivity is lower. Have you tried a different source (with a higher output voltage)?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2006
    Options
    If that's the Adcom passive pre that originated here, I wouldn't mind getting it back.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The input sensitivity is lower. Have you tried a different source (with a higher output voltage)?

I could do that, but at the "cranked" setting, it is plenty loud enough. If I moved to another, larger room, things might change a little.

Ideally, what I'd like to do at this point is reduce the gain on the knight's by 9dB and bi-amp.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2006
    Options
    James, those have 12AX7 on the front end still? Throw some 12AU7's in and cut the gain nearly in half.

George, it's the same one, you to Troy, Troy to me, me to James - all at the original $75.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Allright, that should get them close with a change the other driver tubes, that should be another dB or two and a -3dB inline filter and it should be damn close...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Try the 12AU without the filter, a 12AT would be about half, 12AU should be 1/5th the gain - but remember, audio isn't linear - the 12AU should be the ticket.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yup, I remembered the log-linear relationship and that passive pre's are linear which is why I'm guessing 9-10 dB more gain in the knights-Double the straight line gain should be 10 dB right? I'll play around a bit.
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hmmm, I wonder how the SRT would sound bi-amped with a 565 on each main stereo array, a third 565 on the SRT Center (which is basically identical to the main stereo array), a 555 for the main SDA arrays, and say a 545 for the surrounds.

Or even better yet, tri-amped with five 565s on each array of midwoofers (one each for the center and main stereo and SDA arrays), and a 535 for the main tweeters along with another 535 for the SRT Center tweeter. :eek:
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    James, those have 12AX7 on the front end still? Throw some 12AU7's in and cut the gain nearly in half.

George, it's the same one, you to Troy, Troy to me, me to James - all at the original $75.

Cheers,
    Russ
    So, if I replace the 12AU7's on my TAD-60 with 12AX7's it'll play louder?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2006
    Options
    No, and maybe.

In some circuits you can increase the gain - but it's risky. It can over-drive the main amp circuit, and damage the amp. It's best to contact the manufacturer / designer to see if you can increase the gain with a tube swap.

Some circuits that use 12AU7's can also take a 12BH7, will increase performance slightly. You can always try some mil-spec 12AU7's, such as 5814's and 6189's without worrying about damage to the circuit.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Thanks! :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10