Internet Explorer 7

2»

Comments

• opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited July 2006
    I just switched from IE to FF to Opera. We have always used Yahoo as our mail server and have had a ".........@prodigy.net" address. Can I use this address with Opera? I am having troule getting it to work. Any ideas?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited July 2006
    opus wrote:
    I just switched from IE to FF to Opera. We have always used Yahoo as our mail server and have had a ".........@prodigy.net" address. Can I use this address with Opera? I am having troule getting it to work. Any ideas?
    Opera's Mail Client works fine with POP and IMAP accounts. I assume SBC gives you POP3 accounts so it should work fine.

Just make sure your mail settings are correct.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    Eh, I'm sticking with IE!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • opus
    edited July 2006
    Kris, thanks. A little more help please. I can set up a Opera account but can't figure out how to use my old email address. Ideas?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2006
    IE 7 will ask you if you want it to run an active x control if a site is trying to use one. I got a copy of windows vista beta 2 to eval. from microsoft. All in all I like it. I've tried to install a couple of programs , and they did not want to install, then window asked if I wanted to run it again with default settings, and install was like no problem, it was a peice of cake, a peice of crumb cake.
    I like what they have done to ie also tabs are A little different form firefox, but easy to get used to. it also now has a search box like firefox, with multipule search engines avalible, and you can add more to the list if you like.
  • Kris Siegel
    edited July 2006
    opus wrote:
    Kris, thanks. A little more help please. I can set up a Opera account but can't figure out how to use my old email address. Ideas?
    I'm confused. Why are you setting up an Opera account? That requires you to sign-up with Opera and get a something@operamail.com (or something like that).

Just go to Tools -> Mail and chat accounts -> and select POP or IMAP (whatever SBC uses) and fill in your information.
  • opus
    edited July 2006
    I'm confused. Why are you setting up an Opera account? That requires you to sign-up with Opera and get a something@operamail.com (or something like that).

Just go to Tools -> Mail and chat accounts -> and select POP or IMAP (whatever SBC uses) and fill in your information.

Sorry to confuse you. Maybe I'm not explaining well. One more try:o
    All I want to do is be able to recieve and view messages at myaddy@prodigy.net when I'm using opera without having to back out and go to my IE page. I starting to think that it is not possible.

Have a nice weekend. Go Italy:)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    Eh, I'm sticking with IE!

Yay!! Im not the only one!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2006
    Sticking with IE is like continuing to smoke once you know it'll kill you. It's your prerogative, but it's not the smartest move :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Bite me! I understand that Opera and Firefox have all kinds of nifty and cool features and trinkets but all I do is hang out on forums, look up audio gear and download por.....er I mean religious material, IE has all the features I need plus its easier to use. ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited July 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Bite me! I understand that Opera and Firefox have all kinds of nifty and cool features and trinkets but all I do is hang out on forums, look up audio gear and download por.....er I mean religious material, IE has all the features I need plus its easier to use. ;)

I'll go along with that! IE has whats I need and runs fine for me. I get to the websites I want to hit with no problems.
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2006
    Hey, I totally agree with you guys - IE DOES work better ona lot of sites. But there's so many gaping SECURITY problems (hence my cigarette analogy), no matter WHAT sites you visit, that I don't see it being a great idea to stick with IE. That's all :)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited July 2006
    Am I the only one that DOES NOT have a security problem with IE?

Got Comcast Broadband with a Linksys router and Norton FW. Also run Norton Spyware. Keep my windows updates up to par also.

It's been my experience that people who run into problems are the ones who click on anything and everything. **** sites and stuff like that. How about you Kazza and other P2P users?

Avoid all that crap and you'll be fine. People love to hate Microsoft!

John
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2006
    Personally, I haven't had a security problem with IE for years, even when I used it. But I know it's there, so why risk it? If there's an alternative that's significantly safer, and that I personally like better....

And why shouldn't people hate Microsoft, at least in some respects? They've certainly earned at least a bit of ire.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    I've never had a security problem with IE either! I use AOL for my email, don't download anything from a site that I don't know, don't use Outlook mail, etc.

I don't even talk to anyone that IM's me through windows messenger!

If you are smart about using the web you're perfectly safe!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2006
    How do you know if you have a security problem? A lot of people have their registry so crammed with crap they had no idea it was there. IE has always been the target of attacks. If they focused on Firefox and Opera people would be saying the same of those browsers.

Browsing habits have everything to do with how safe you'll be, but it's not the end all. IE is a riskier proposition no matter how safe we are. We had a crash at my office a year ago where some guy was slammed with **** ads and it completely took over his computer. We traced everything back and he was just looking up some info for some product we needed to buy and clicked on the wrong thing. It can be the most inconspicuous and innocent little mistake and you're toast. I use Firefox because it is safer. There's no way around it. It's got nothing to do with M-Soft hate, which everyone always cites as the answer. Hell the only thing I consciously avoid of theirs is IE.

To say that if you just watch where you're going at all times you'll be fine is naive, which is exactly the mentality hackers and evil little devs prey on. Think the only place you'll get slammed is at a **** site? Think again.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited July 2006
    Hey two years ago after i got my computer fixed(it was taken out by spyware)and started using Spybot Search and Destroy.I found out BOTH ebay AND yahoo.com had spyware.
  • Kris Siegel
    edited July 2006
    opus wrote:
    Sorry to confuse you. Maybe I'm not explaining well. One more try:o
    All I want to do is be able to recieve and view messages at myaddy@prodigy.net when I'm using opera without having to back out and go to my IE page. I starting to think that it is not possible.

Have a nice weekend. Go Italy:)
    So you're not setting up your e-mail with Opera's Mail tool but, instead, trying to access the e-mail via a web page? If so, just go to the web page...

If it doesn't work because it's saying you're using the wrong browser, then press F12 and click on "Identify as Internet Explorer" close and re-open the window and try again. Sometimes website developers like to put thing that restrict your access because you're not using a browser they want you to use.
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited July 2006
    If that doesn't work try this:

Go to your email page.

Right click the web page/select "edit site preferences" from the menu.

Select the "network" tab.

On the dropdown menu select "Mask as Internet Explorer"/click ok.

What happens is that even when Iding as IE the word "Opera" still shows up in the user agent string. Choosing the masking option will remove Opera from the user agent string for that site only. This is caused by java sniffers that some sites use to tell what browser you are using.

Hope this is what you're looking for.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • opus
    edited July 2006
    thanx Roy and Kris. Working on it:)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited October 2006
    Did anyone d/l Internet 7 today? It's now been "officially" released.
  • MattN03
    edited October 2006
    Well, I just d/l IE7 and right off the bat I'd have to say it's very slow compared to Firefox. It's taking much longer for IE7 to d/l a website for some reason. Quicktabs are nice. These let you see the multiple browsing tabs you have open (like a mini picture of the Polk forums and other sites you have open). I'm out to wax my Mustang, so I'll have to check out 7 more later.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited October 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    They still make Netscape?

Yes. They also make stagecoach wheels.
    Sal Palooza
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited October 2006
    MattN03 wrote:
    Well, I just d/l IE7 and right off the bat I'd have to say it's very slow compared to Firefox. It's taking much longer for IE7 to d/l a website for some reason. Quicktabs are nice. These let you see the multiple browsing tabs you have open (like a mini picture of the Polk forums and other sites you have open). I'm out to wax my Mustang, so I'll have to check out 7 more later.

Do you tweak Firefox or use Fasterfox? If not then IE7 is really a dog.
  • MattN03
    edited October 2006
    jmwest1970 wrote:
    Do you tweak Firefox or use Fasterfox? If not then IE7 is really a dog.

I'm running FasterFox :D After a couple sessions of opening & closing IE7, it seems to be faster now. It's still not as fast as FasterFox.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2006
    IE7 is only 24 hours old on the official release and it's already got a security vulnerability.

From Slashdot:
    "Not 24 hours after the release of IE7, Secunia reports Internet Explorer Arbitrary Content Disclosure Vulnerability. So much for the "you wanted it easier and more secure" slogan found on Microsoft's IE Website."

Some more info:
    http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Arbitrary_Content_Disclosure_Vulnerability_Test/
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MattN03
    edited October 2006
    Jstas wrote:
    IE7 is only 24 hours old on the official release and it's already got a security vulnerability.

From Slashdot:
    "Not 24 hours after the release of IE7, Secunia reports Internet Explorer Arbitrary Content Disclosure Vulnerability. So much for the "you wanted it easier and more secure" slogan found on Microsoft's IE Website."

Some more info:
    http://secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Arbitrary_Content_Disclosure_Vulnerability_Test/

When I clicked that link using FF, nothing happened :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006
    Just loaded it. So far I like it. Download speed appears to be the same for me.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2006
    IE7 hasnt exactly been out only 1 day. Ive been using it since early July.

In that time, it has worked pretty much flawlessly.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    IE7 hasnt exactly been out only 1 day. Ive been using it since early July.

In that time, it has worked pretty much flawlessly.

Go read my post again. It said "official release"

The beta has been out since the middle of June.

Lastly, just because you aren't having issues doesn't mean the software doesn't have them. You just haven't encountered them yet.

BTW, if anyone is using a pirated copy of Windows, if you want to preserve your illegal activities, don't download IE7. The first thing it does is a WGA scan and will run a report on you to Microsoft which will then download and install software to your computer for you which breaks Windows and will not let it run properly or stable. How that is different from normal, I'm not sure but Micro$oft will get thier money from you.

Also, for those that don't know, Netscape is now owned by AOL and is no longer the Netscape we all knew and loved from about 6 years ago. Netscape is, was and likely will be based on the Mozilla browser. Mozilla is where FireFox and Thunderbird were spawned from. I have been using Mozilla's browser suite. Not FireFox, Mozilla. It has a web browser, email client, editor, newsgroup browser and a ton of plug-ins and add-ins to do damn near anything you want. I even have a tool called Multizilla that lets me spoof almost any browser out there. FireFox has alot of these features and tools available to it too but I like having all this functionality in one program rather than using 3 or 4 to do what I want.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!