Internet Explorer 7

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Turned on my computer today and my homepage was the Windows website announing the Version 7 download is now available.

For the first time in 10 years, IE has a new look. Its not that bad but will take some getting used to. They finally are using tabs.

I also notice the fonts seem to be bolder.

Anybody else upgraded yet?
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2006
    Is this still in beta? I am always leery about beta.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2006
    Firefox for me.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2006
    Mazeroth wrote:
    Firefox for me.

Ditto. I'll go back to IE when it's better.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    I dont know what Beta is. Im kinda ignorant on computer issues.

As for Firefox, I used to use it all the time because IE just had too many pop-ups but Firefox completely deleted ALL my Favorites 2-3 times and I finally switched back to IE. Now that IE has updated their stuff I have virtually no pop-ups so Im sticking with it.

**EDIT**

Yeah, I think its still Beta. But it still works just fine for me.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited July 2006
    Mac, just keep a copy of your favorites folder somewhere else for problems like that. Release the demon (come back to Firefox).
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited July 2006
    Internet Explorer 7 is still in the Beta stages of development (Beta meaning it's not a final product but more of a work in progress). They recently released Beta 3 (they originally released IE 7 beta 1 about 6 months ago, so this isn't the first time Microsoft has released an IE with different looks).

It has better features and more web standards support for us Web Developers. Unfortunately, it still ignores many web standards so it's still considered a sub-par browser in terms of web development.

A full version should be released in the beginning of 2007
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited July 2006
    Unfortunately IE 7 is STILL also using those dreaded Active X controls apparently.Which is why it is not as safe as Firefox and Netscape.It is via the Active X controls(which is basically a rendering engine i believe) that different sites can download things like Spyware and Adware(the cause of pop up windows which are not site related) a growing problem on the www.I have IE 7 Beta 3 myself and everytime i use it and run my various Antspy programs,they find all kinds of stuff.
  • Kris Siegel
    edited July 2006
    An ActiveX Control isn't exactly a rendering engine. It's a control that has the ability to run like an application within IE. It has very little restrictions so if someone installs an ActiveX control in IE it can do practically anything a regular application or virus can.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited July 2006
    I've finally crossed over to the dark side and am using Firefox exclusively at this point. I think it makes my fonts bolder also, but not sure...

Either way, I like it a lot.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2006
    Firefox for me too. I'm not a fan of IE or the weird stuff it does. Plus I LOVE the firefox search feature. It highlights what I'm searching for :) Very hand when I'm searching for credit card numbers or long invoice numbers at work. If I happen to make a typo, there were still be partial matches.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited July 2006
    Ok, Ok. I just switched to Firefox because of this thread. It took me several years to figure out IE so that means that Mazeroth, Demi, Brett and you Airplay are responsible for answering all my dumb questions:D

Don't worry the years will just fly by;)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited July 2006
    I just switched too. I'll try it for a while to see how I like it.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Kris Siegel
    edited July 2006
    Switch to Opera instead.

I used to use Firefox exclusively for a while until I found Opera. Not only is Opera faster than Firefox, but it has a ton more features. It has widgets, a better download manager, voice controls, you can change many important preferences just by pressing F12, mouse gestures makes browsing extremely easy and fun, and more. It's got tons of good stuff and Opera is usually the innovator in the browser industry.

I know I sound like a Fanboy, but in interviews with Firefox and Mozilla's developers they've admitted to taking ideas (like tabs) from Opera.

Plus, Opera's Mail client is very fast and efficient as well as it's IRC client and torrent downloader.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2006
    I never trust anything that Micro$oft puts out until the second edition or major update is rolled out. 10,000 software engineers and their first edition is still nothing better than a final beta. Just my experience running a school network.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Ive never had an issue with IE except about a year ago I was getting a TON of pop-ups and thats when I switched to Firefox. But Firefox kept doing weird things like changing my home page and erasing my bookmarks but the last thing was the worst. It totally erased my ID and started from scratch and when I tried to fix it, it kept locking up. I even tried deleting and unisntalling it and it wouldnt work. Even after I deleted everything with the name Firefox off my computer, it was still locking up my computer somehow. I finally got things back up and running again and since IE has an awesome pop-up blocker, all my issues with it have been resolved and Im sticking with it.

Plus, websites seem to work better with IE.

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2006
    Switch to Opera instead.

I used to use Firefox exclusively for a while until I found Opera. Not only is Opera faster than Firefox, but it has a ton more features. It has widgets, a better download manager, voice controls, you can change many important preferences just by pressing F12, mouse gestures makes browsing extremely easy and fun, and more. It's got tons of good stuff and Opera is usually the innovator in the browser industry.

I know I sound like a Fanboy, but in interviews with Firefox and Mozilla's developers they've admitted to taking ideas (like tabs) from Opera.

Plus, Opera's Mail client is very fast and efficient as well as it's IRC client and torrent downloader.

Opera is definitely good too, I agree.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Hmmm. I think Ill try Opera out. Ya never know til you try.

**EDIT**

Downloaded Opera. Its very different from IE and is going to take some getting used to.

Anybody know how to or if you can import bookmarks from IE to Opera? I looked thru their Help site and couldnt find anything.

• Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited July 2006
    Switch to Opera instead.

I completely concur!

Plus with Opera you don't have to bother with extensions because it all comes built in and to top it off with all of the extras Opera has that Firefox doesn't, it's smaller!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • Roy Munson
    edited July 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Hmmm. I think Ill try Opera out. Ya never know til you try.

**EDIT**

Downloaded Opera. Its very different from IE and is going to take some getting used to.

Anybody know how to or if you can import bookmarks from IE to Opera? I looked thru their Help site and couldnt find anything.

Go to..file>import and export>import Internet Explorer favorites.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2006
    Roy Munson wrote:
    I completely concur!

Plus with Opera you don't have to bother with extensions because it all comes built in and to top it off with all of the extras Opera has that Firefox doesn't, it's smaller!

There's HUNDREDS of extensions for Firefox. It doesn't come with all of them, that's a ridiculous statement.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Roy Munson
    edited July 2006
    I didn't say that Opera came with all of the extensions that are available in Firefox. However, Opera comes with an email client, IRC client, Torrent downloader and much more..plus it's less bloated than Firefox and a smaller download even though it has many features that Firefox doesn't! And you don't have to bother with finding extensions..if that is ridiculous, then so be it!!!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited July 2006
    Am I the only one runnning IE? shoot maybe I should look into another option.
    Is is tough to swap over from IE to FF?
  • Roy Munson
    edited July 2006
    Just download it and try it.

There is always a learning curve to getting used to a new browser but I think it's worth it. Firefox is a good stand alone browser but I think Opera is better. YMMV!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited July 2006
    I also happen to think Opera is the best browser going right now. I have used it for years and it has always had more features and performance than IE or FF. Tried FF for a while and just didn't like it as much as Opera. I have to use IE at work but I am always much happier browsing from home.

Used to be that you had to pay for Opera or put up with ads for the free version but that changed a couple of versions ago, so no real reason not to give it a try. You will need to keep IE though cause there are some sites that are just hostile to anything not IE.

DJ
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2006
    Willow wrote:
    Am I the only one runnning IE? shoot maybe I should look into another option.
    Is is tough to swap over from IE to FF?
    No I am still running IE. Tried Opera a year ago and then switched back. Maybe I'll give FF a try.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Roy Munson wrote:
    Go to..file>import and export>import Internet Explorer favorites.

Thanks for the tip.

One thing Ive found I really like on Opera, the skins you can download. That was my first **** about it was the toolbar and how it looked. After some digging around I found all the skins you can download. Very cool!

One thing I dont like is the Alt / S function doesnt work on Opera so I have to actually scroll down and hit the 'submit' button. Thats gonna take some getting used to.

• MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Well I think Ill just stick with IE.

I just like the layout better and its easier to navigate around with. As for all the nifty features of Opera and Firefox, for my measly needs, IE has everything I want.

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2006
    I prefer Netscape, no pop-ups and easy to use.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2006
    They still make Netscape?