Mantis' Fault / Demo

weavercr
weavercr Posts: 289
edited June 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
After all of the talking Mantis has done on the Dynaudio, I had to demo some. Now I want some, But my budget says NO WAY, unless Russ is buying.

So While I was on a working road trip to Jacksonville, I decided to stop in on a local by appointment only Dynaudio dealer.

I Demoed 1 bookshelf and 3 floor models

1 bookshelf model that was listed as on sale for 2495.00. Nothing else in the store speaker wise has a tag, nor did any other items except sale items.

The bookshelf demo:
It was the dynaudio BM15a
sized between the rt35 and rt55. Very impressive Bookshelf, I have heard non better.
Incredibly transparent. Soundstage is very good.

The Fullrange models:
Now I know why MANTIS loves dynaudio.
DQ-10's or 20's dont even compare to these three models, Sorry Troy. These three models and polk shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Dynaudio/Munro
M4:
This is Troy speaker's Talk about in the chest thumping Base but it is very tight and accurate. Incredibly transparent, Soundstage is Outstanding. Mids and high are unbelievable.
All I can say about this speaker is WOW! I was totally blown away by these.
These are the most incredible sounding speakers I have ever heard. Now these are my dream speakers.

Four Dynaudio 30W100 (12") bass drivers, Two Dynaudio 17W75XL Neodymium Low Mid (6.5"), One Dynaudio M560 Double Magnet Upper mid range dome (2") and One Dynaudio T330 Double Magnet tweeter (1"). Some specs 24hz to 22k crossed over at 250Hz, 2kHz, and 5.6 kHz. Typical Peak SPL -133dB SPL @ 2m, 2 cabs driven

M3:
A smaller version ot the M4's
The only thing I can compare them to is th M4. Not quite as dynamic.
I like the port plug option: +/- 3db range = 35Hz - 22kHz ported / port plug installed 28Hz - 22khz
Two Dynaudio 30W100 XL (12") bass drivers, Two Dynaudio 15W75 mid range (6" with 3" voice coils) ,One Dynaudio Esotar T330 tweeter

MA1: These were on sale. list $7950.00 sale 5499.00 each. I didnt ask the price on the other two.

The salesman did the demo in the wrong order, he started with the M4. so by the time you get to these, they just dont compare to the M4. Not that you could call it a bad speaker. Its a great It just seem like the difference was like comparing the rt10 to the rt55.
They are still great sounding speakers.

Two Dynaudio 24W100 (9.5") bass drivers, One Dynaudio D76 Neodymium 2.75" mid range dome, One Dynaudio Esotar T330 tweeter

with those port plugs, I lke that feature. Polk should copy that ideal.
These were rated at the =/- 2 db level. 32Hz - 22kHz ported, 24Hz - 22kHz infinite baffle

Now I know what mantis feels like when he go home.

Mantis do you carry any of these models or have heard them? You have never mention them on the forum.
Post edited by weavercr on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Where in JAX is this joint? I'd be interested to know.....

Out of curiosity, what demo material and associated amps etc.??

Jeeze, 2500 bones for a pair of bookshelves?? I doubt if you took my 2ch rig, HT rig, office rig and garage rig that I got that much in the WHOLE thing, including wires, cables, racks etc.....I might have to tally that up as a matter of fact.

At those prices, though, one should EXPECT to be blown away. It's cool to demo gear like that but for me, I really prefer to demo gear that I could realistically afford.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited June 2002
    weavercr.

Good post. Very detailed. It was good to read your input. I do have a question. I checked the dynaudio website at www.dynaudio.com and did not see the model numbers that you refered to. Perhaps mantis or someone else will help solve this mystery as to what models you listened to. You indicated that these were a bit out of your price range. You may already know this but they have many other speakers in lower as well as higher price ranges. I just gotta get away and give this brand a demo. I'm also looking foward to the results of mantis's Polk Lsi research.

joe
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    Once you hear Dynaudio everything else is so so.
    We don't carry the models you talk about,it sounds more like part numbers or something.
    If you visit Dynaudio's web site,thats the lines we carry.
    Audience,Contour,Confidence,Evidence.
    You must have listened to older models I think.I will have to print your model numbers and see what they are.
    Today is Friday and tomarrow is the Big Big demo day...I got my listen on so bad Its choking me.
    I got plans,I might even bring a Rotel rsx1065 with me to get a more fair demo.I will also bring wire.Transparent of course.
    The LSI line is in 4 stores within my reach.They all are an hour and more away,but I 'm setting aside time for this all day long.Saturday night I will post my First Impressions.I will revisit for a second listen to compare.Music will be from Al Di Meola,Dave Mathews,Lorenna Mckinett,and Train.They all have very good tracks to demo with and I know them inside and out.Also have had many hours on the Audience line with the above tracks.
    I'm sorry to ruin anyones ears with Dynaudio,there are one of those speakers that just about everyone listens to and leaves with a great deal of want.I suffer this everyday.
    Keep your posting/reading on as My test results will be in tomarrow night.Wish me luck and Wish for Polk to put on there best.....I'm counting on good results.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • weavercr
    edited June 2002
    I am waiting on your LSI to Dynaudio test. I now have an idel what dyna sounds like so I can relate to your test. The LSI line is closer to my budget.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    weavercr, are those the line of speakers that are used in movie theaters and such? I don't think the speakers you mentioned are for normal people, that sounds like the "professional" line of speakers that Dynaudio sells to recording studios and movie theaters, but I may be wrong on this.
  • weavercr
    edited June 2002
    Yes the Floor models were from the professional line. I am not sure about the Bookshelf model. Now if I could only win the lottery......

I was with my Boss and all he wanted to demo was the Top of the line models....He makes big bucks.
  • weavercr
    edited June 2002
    Thay why I an a polk guy. Someday I may try to build a set my self. I have found a sorce for the dynaudio drivers. HUM...
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    for the cash though...Polks are tough to beat so I don't really view it as giving up all that much.

BDT
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    you got to give the polk lsi a another chance mantis.
    they need a little time to break in, plus the pioneer receiver is 8 ohm and the polk lsi are 4ohm speakers. they need a better amp.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    The Pioneer Elite vsx47tx can play a 4 ohm load all day long,no problems there.Where I demo'd the LSI's,thats the best they had....Not a bad peice at all,I have ran it o the Dynaudio's and found it drives them with grace as well.
    I am giving the LSI another chance,After all this time away from them I find myself wanted to hear them again.
    1st Impressions where good but I feel 2nd maybe better.
    Next time I go down there they should have the LSI25's hooked up as well.My partner who demo'd them said they blow the 15's away and I need to listen to the 25's even though they are powered tower's,He knows how I feel about powered towers ans hates them as well, but the 25's got his attention and that isn't an easy thing to do.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Sorry,
    I feel Rotel would be a better amp on the LSI to demo,or the B&K would be real nice.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    yes im the same way about powerd towers they just dont impress me, i like the lsi-9. i think they would be awesome on top of the polk psw-650s with pedestals. with my 4004 mark 2 aragon amp and aragon pre amp.
    i heard the lsi-15 i was not impressed, but the lsi-center was impresive.
    it was not set up right, they all where in a book sheves, they even had the psw-650 in a cabinet, what is wrong with these stores. they just dont know how to set up.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Why Rotel? I'm curious about this to be honest. What voicing characteristics make Rotel and the LSi such a perfect match?

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Rotel has a warm powerfull sound.Clean and natural as well.
    The LSI from what I heard I could almost match the 2 in my mind.I know the difference in sonic qualities between Rotel amps and the Pioneer Elite vsx47tx's.They are different as the Pioneer is slightly on the bright side when compared to the Rotel.The Pioneer has good power reserves but not like the Rotel.Thats what I think the LsI's where lacking and could benifit from Rotel....more power reserve.
    I think they would match up well.
    What do you think?
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I haven't formed an opinion really, I'm just thinking about the whole thing......

I kinda think that there are too many variables in the chain to really say that.....meaning, Rotel might be the best match given that you use this kind of preamp and that kind of wire with this interconnect. I kinda think that different amp/pre/ speaker combos all interact differently so it don't think it is neccessarily cut and dry as this amp is a perfect match for this speaker.

I think this is even more true if you subscribe, as mantis professed, to the theory that each link in the chain has an equal effect on sound.

Just trying to get my think on,

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    On that note,
    I do think it would be a perfect match for the reasons above.I wish a dealer carring the LSI line had Rotel as well.
    If they matched up as I think they would,I would strongly consider that to be my next set up.
    For my next trip down to good old Interstate Electronics,I'm going to bring a Rotel rsx1065 with me(without Insulting them down there)and if my thinking is correct,I think the LSI's will come home with me.
    And just to keep it straight, I will bring my Transparent cables.
    Dan
  • OrangeToupee
    edited June 2002
    Now you want the LSi's? I don't understand, you said the Audience's had it all over them ... just the other day. What's the dealio?
  • joe6pak
    edited June 2002
    Orange.

I agree. I'm also confused.

joe
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Don't you guys get it???
    Upgrading is so hard.You have to pick just one system to come home with you.And thats it (for a while).The Audience line still has the upper edge on the LSI's.But I need to hear them go with Rotel to be sure.
    If you can't tell,I'm a Rotel fan becoming.I keep listening to there stuff and like Dynaudio,I like it more and more I listen.
    The Dynaudio's are a lock if nothing can top or even match them.But when I demo'd the LSI line, they did suprise me at times,not the entire time but they have a quality screaming to come out.I just have a gut feeling(and It's not the Beer).What keeps me hanging on to them as I have thought of them alot over the last week,is the extreme warmth they gave me when I listened to Lorenna Mckinnitt.I listened to an entire cd,thats Impressive,I normally get sick of a speaker with one type of music and need to switch it up to hold my attention.
    On another note.........I'm very passionate about my gear,and what I replace it with.This time the budget is alot bigger,and Mrs.Mantis is ready for a big drop of cash.
    Make no mistake, the Dynaudio's are already waiting for my order,cherry, real wood veneer, and a response to an Email about making me a pair of Dipolar rears in real wood cherry for sides.I plan on meeting with the Rep soon for a meeting on my new system.They like me are very passionate about what they build and how people feel about there speakers...like Polk does.
    Dynaudio is in Denmark, and thats the only thing I don't like about them.If something goes wrong,I got to wait awhile to fix it.Polk is only 4 hours away from me,I f I had to I could drive there and back in time for dinner.
    Sorry That I'm hard to follow, and make changes In the way I post, but guys its all from the heart.
    When you guys are ready to spend a butt hole amount of money on a serious upgrade,Youll be all over the place trying to make the right choice,that Isn't so easy,Its really hard to lock in on one thing.
    My Video is the only thing thats 99.999% a go.110 inch Stewart firehawk screen(unless Stewart says I need a different size for my room)and a Sharp 9000u DLP projector.
    Heres something very cool, my house.......actually I saw my new to be neighbor's basement being dug out!!!thats so cool,I'm only 3 away from mine being dug,Thats should be this wednesday if all goes good.Building a new house really sucks,wait wait wait.But they had my money since last year.Finally I get to see results.The sewer pipes went in over the last couple of weeks but that wasn't exciting like the basements being dug out and poured.
    This is why I have so much time to go test stuff and wait to buy,the house should be done by fall.
    Dan
  • joe6pak
    edited June 2002
    Mantis.

I do get it Mantis. You want to do this once and do it right. It always costs less that way. If I had the local access to all the audio choices that you have I'm sure I would be demoing so much stuff I would never get around to buying something. Tough choices for sure. I wish someone would invent a startrek transporter device so we all could demo every speaker made in the real world of our own homes. You write good reviews. I do enjoy reading them and know that those take a lot of time to post.

Are you going to have a party for the hole digging? You know that you had better get your audio demoing done before that house is very far along, cause once that gets rolling you are going to want to be there as much as possible to keep an eye on things. House building. Damn! That is a high stress event for sure.

joe
  • OrangeToupee
    edited June 2002
    How the hell are you getting real wood Audiences? I didn't know there were any real wood Audiences.

My mom is from Harrisburg, maybe I need to take a trip over to your neck of the woods and have a look-see as to what's going down over in Pennsylvania.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Joe6pak,
    Stress is an understatement for building a new house.It wears you down like no other.I'm going to film and picture every step of the build.I gotta get a digital camera damn it,one of those things you don't think about untill you want to use it.I will have to research them and buy one.I got a camcorder.I have alot of access to many different kinds of systems and I know everybody around here.Thanks for the comments,I'm glad you enjoy my posts.I often wanted a transporter as I have many uses for it,someone needs to get there Invent on.

OrangeToupee,
    Dynaudio will be offering real wood veneers for the Audience line in 2 months.I get the inside track from them.I'm also waiting on a response for Dipolar rears to mate with the Audience 42w's.If I go that route,the entire system will be natural real wood Cherry.And the Sub will be a Rel StormIII.
    If you come around here you will not be dissappointed,there is alot of audio/video around here.Just about everything you could ever want is within an hour from my house.
    Harrisburg is a couple hours from me.I'm right outside of Philly.
    Dan
  • weavercr
    edited June 2002
    I am also building a new house. I contracted out the shell and I am doing everything inside except the plumbing and electrical. A lot more stress than I expected.

I have a Canon Powershot A20 digital camera. I really like it. It uses standard AA batteries. I have rechargeable ones in it. I like the ideal of standard AA, I have had other digital camera with their proprietary battery packs, and just when you need it wham the batteries run out of juice. With AA you can always carry some spare energizer bunnies with you. Ni-cads/ Nickel metals will run down even while not in use. We have about 7 different brands here at work.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Man, I'd pay good money for a transcript of that conversation.....

Fly on the wall Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Paul,
    I emailed you.I will catch up with you tomarrow.I'll be on a prewire job,Ill have some free time to call.

Russman,
    your funny.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    I know, I crack myself up, make sure you have your manuals handy so you get your 'quote' on......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    The Mantis Handbook is not in written but spoken.One day IT will be a standard for all to follow....................................LOL
    RECOGNIZE
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Is there a chapter on how to biwire powered towers?? :D

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    There's a chapter called "TroyD WireWorld".It goes into great detail on all wire configurations.
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    For the love of God, stop it man! Stop it!:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!