HD DVD/ Blue ray

2»

Comments

• mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    BIZILL wrote:
    the worst thing is watching a person who knows not about what they speak and spread their 'knowledge' to others. then it gets funneled down to oblivion. example: best buy and circuit city employees...

Hahaha. So true. I was just in Best Buy picking up Fear and Loathing on HD-DVD and I overheard an employee going on about how superior Blu-ray was to HD-DVD in picture and sound, also about how he was almost positive it was bound to win the format war. Then he went on about how HD-DVD wasn't 1080p which is where I stepped in and explained the player they stock will only output a 1080i signal but the content on the disc was 1080p resolution etc. He stopped talking bit his lip a little then flat out told me I was wrong and that only Blu-ray was real 1080p and HD-DVDs were upconverted. :eek:
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2007
    mutelight wrote:
    Hahaha. So true. I was just in Best Buy picking up Fear and Loathing on HD-DVD and I overheard an employee going on about how superior Blu-ray was to HD-DVD in picture and sound, also about how he was almost positive it was bound to win the format war. Then he went on about how HD-DVD wasn't 1080p which is where I stepped in and explained the player they stock will only output a 1080i signal but the content on the disc was 1080p resolution etc. He stopped talking bit his lip a little then flat out told me I was wrong and that only Blu-ray was real 1080p and HD-DVDs were upconverted. :eek:

So true and soo sad.:( My BB is the same way...

Mike
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2007
    when the sears maintanance man came out to clean my tv (a fuggin' 5 min job, those ****) he tried 'teaching' me a few things. by the time we were finished, again, 5 minutes, he admit that i taught him a thing or two. he's not a salesman, but don't you believe for one second he hath not the ability to sway judgement for the uneducated.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Whats really funny is that the disk says its 1080p (hd-dvd movies)right on the boxes...... I just came from BB and did some looking reading and ask alot of question they couldnt answer like normal its better to come to a place such as this to find out the real information you need....
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2007
    take our advice with a grain of salt, though.:D

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited January 2007
    Oh no I am but being in a room with other hi-fidelity gurus is a good start versus the bb sales people by far .........

I am no self proclaimed sound guru but I have a good ear and can appreciate awesome sound I simply finnaly got to a point in life to where I could afford what my ears WANT.... if you know what I mean .

When the wife says she wants a new flat screen and a new dvd player I need to get it done yes ...... Thats about the only shopping I get excited about........
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    Whats really funny is that the disk says its 1080p (hd-dvd movies)right on the boxes......

Exactly! Had he taken the time to look at the products he was selling he would have known that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were paying a good amount of money for Best Buy to push the Blu-ray format. (Nothing against Blu-ray) But does my local Best Buy really need identical Blu-ray kiosks on opposite ends of the same aisle playing the same subpar demo disc? Then there is the Toshiba HD-DVD player down the aisle not connected to anything... Bose tactics...
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2007
    I just noticed that I stated in this thread (back in late June) that I was staying clear of Blu-ray, well...not so much. My Sammy Blu-ray player will arrive tomorrow and I have a short stack of Blu-ray moives ready to go with more due this week. I want all my movies in hi-def so I need both formats.

So much for holding out for a winner, in my book, the format war is now over.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2007
    mutelight wrote:
    Exactly! Had he taken the time to look at the products he was selling he would have known that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were paying a good amount of money for Best Buy to push the Blu-ray format. (Nothing against Blu-ray) But does my local Best Buy really need identical Blu-ray kiosks on opposite ends of the same aisle playing the same subpar demo disc? Then there is the Toshiba HD-DVD player down the aisle not connected to anything... Bose tactics...

the big box stores will only end up losing profit from hd dvd using these tactics. this issue has been brought up in other forums as well. circuit city is almost as bad. but if i have to choose between the two, i choose cc. i loathe best buy. and also, my local cc carries the lower line of polk speakers. bb does not carry any at all.;)

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2007
    Ron-P wrote:

So much for holding out for a winner, in my book, the format war is now over.

I wouldn't mind buying both players except they will be obsolete for me once the DDplus comes out so I will hold out(then again the pre amps with these formats might take awhile),

Enjoy the sammy!

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • BIZILL
    edited January 2007
    ???????:confused:

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited January 2007
    heh sorry i was basically typing outloud, but I am itching to take the plunge at the same time I am trying to convince myself to wait...
    latest way i am trying to wait is by considering a CDP purchase.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP