Got new Cranks.

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,182
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
Whats up fellow Mountain bike Brothers,
I had a crash that bent my middle ring on my stock Sugino 175mm 22-32-42 cranks. I called the bikeshop where I got the bike which is under warranty and told them the problem. I don't know if the bike store stiffed me or GT stiffed me but when I got the bike back, I had these Shimano FC series 170mm 22-32-42 **** cranks. They looked real nice and beefy but after 1 ride I noticed the difference the shorter arms make. So I called the bike store and told them I hate them. I did my homework and found the Truvativ Blaze 175mm 22-32-44 and added in the ISIS Gigapipe Bottom bracket. The bike mechanic thought this would be a killer setup for my bike and a very nice upgrade over the orignals and the Shimanos. So he ordered them and Installed them in.

My bike is a 2004 GT Avalanche 2.0. The 2005 model comes with Truvativ ISOflow cranks which are alittle better then the Suginos mine came with. I thought GT would have sent them. Hell they could have and the Bike store kept them on me and put those **** cranks in.The ISOflow cranks are 2 steps down from my Blaze.

I had a killer ride today with alot of uphill climbing. I did 13.5 miles and it felt like 25 miles. It took the life out of me. But I'm cool with that as I feel like I gave it my all. It was a great test for my new cranks and they are awesome. I can feel the difference in the bottom bracket smoothness. It feels like liquid bearings or something. So much better then my last 2 pairs. Going back to the 175mm arms is also very noticable. Man I'm happy with them.

My derailer front and back are Alivio Shimano. They work great but I'm considering upgrading them to the Delore series. I'm gonna get new tires and grips for my last year of riding with a hardtail. Then after that it's over to Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Full suspension.

I'll posrt a few pic's

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mantis
    edited June 2006
    Here are the new Cranks
    BlazeCranks.jpg
    HPIM1206.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2006
    These are the ones GT sent to replace my factory cranks but I think the bike store bent me over.
    06-23-06_1437.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2006
    These are the Suginos my bike came with factoy. Actually thats the factory seat and pedals that have been replaced/upgraded.

bikeRACK2.jpg
    Dan
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited June 2006
    of your crank.

Never thought I'd say that to another guy. :o

Actually, nice bike. Good hobby to get into. Like audio, though, it can get expensive real quick.
    Sal Palooza
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited June 2006
    Another GT owner here-a Zaskar LE (older model). I've not ridden much in the past couple years, and need to break it out again. Any mountain bikers around the Memphis area?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    You should upgrade to the LX line. I have Deore front deraileurs and LX rear and man they shift as smooth as a Porche!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2006
    Very nice! I'm envious because I ride a $200 bike. All my money is in audio gear.
    Carl

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2006
    There's nothing like adding high end parts to a goat. I have done the same thing to my undefeated Trek for years, for no apparent reason, as nothing was actually broke. I wish this bike would die so I could build another, but it refuses....so ride I must.

It's funny how hobbies get started, and what happens next is crazy....the same goes for audio. Oh well....have fun Dan.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited June 2006
    Nice ride, Dan. My Cannondale came with Truvativ IsoFlow cranks. So far I haven't had any issues with them. The only upgrades I have planned for my bike are new hubs and SPD pedals at some point. I'm thinking about going to disc brakes at some point too.

As far as deraileurs go, look into the Sram X.7 or X.9 for the rear. My bike came with the Sram X.7 rear deraileur and X.7 trigger shifters. The front deraileur is a Shimano Deore. The Sram is awesome and shifting is a breeze.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    ....so ride I must.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...no yoda speak!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    did your crank get yanked? LOL :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2006
    faster100 wrote:
    did your crank get yanked? LOL :D

Well, Cliff, you would probably be the man for the job.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    + a small handling fee.
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited June 2006
    mantis wrote:
    Whats up fellow Mountain bike Brothers,
    I had a crash that bent my middle ring on my stock Sugino 175mm 22-32-42 cranks. I called the bikeshop where I got the bike which is under warranty and told them the problem.
    Dan

Don't see any pics. But if all you bent was the middle chainring, you could have replaced just the ring. Do you mean you actually bent the crank itself? If so, cool ( and glad you didn't get hurt)!:) :D
    Signature goes here
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    My 1991 Giant Iguana has been dormant for 3 years. :(

It could use new cranks as well and derailers seem to be a little off. Probably about the same cost to just start over.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Well, Cliff, you would probably be the man for the job.

BDT

Yeah Troy, Harr :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited June 2006
    dorokusai,
    I hear yeah man but I love upgrading no matter what it is. My bike runs out reall nice with my new cranks and I had a great ride(13.5 miles) on Sunday.It's my last season riding her and she is going up for sale or out on family rides as I'm looking at full suspension bikes now. God just like Audio I just want better and better the more I get into it. I love to ride and try to do 50 miles a week or so.

wodom1,

I don't like the Sram shifters. Maybe due to I'm so used to the Shimano style. I like the front and back levers better then both levers under forwards. I rode a Trek with them and didn't like them. Actually I liked everything about the bike except that. I looked at a Lefty full suspension, Cannadale makes killer nice bikes dude.

seo,
    I didn't take any wreck pic's but I should have. It went right to the bike store for repair. I like to ride alot and didn't want alot of downtime. When I got the 170mm Shimano's, I went out and rode that day. Hated them and returned for the Blaze with the ISIS Gigapipe bottom bracket. There are in the beginning pic's of all 3 cranks I had if you didn't see them.

PolkThug,
    Much cheaper to do cool upgrades then buying a new bike. I have been looking at 2000.00 around full suspension bikes and I decided to learn more and just upgrade a few things on my hardtail. I'm researching tires which I'm gonna make a new post about as I need to learn more.

MattN03,
    cool man but GT isn't what they used to be as I have learned. I still like my bike the same nontheless.

schwarcw,
    thats fine, it gets you into the sport and it will make you want a better one. I started out on a 500.00 bike and now I'm looking at 2000.00 bikes. Just like audio man.

MacLeod,
    If I was going to keep with this bike, I would go off and get better everything. The LX line I have tried and know what yor talking about. very nice and quick shifting. But I'm getting a new bike at the end of this season(if I can wait that long LOL )

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    dorokusai wrote:
    ....so ride I must.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...no yoda speak!

BDT

Bring out the best in people I do....LOL

DAN
    Dan
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Good relations with the Wookies I have.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2006
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited June 2006
    mantis wrote:
    MattN03,
    cool man but GT isn't what they used to be as I have learned. I still like my bike the same nontheless.

Dan

Yeah, I know :( I had the Zaskar LE before Pacific bought GT, but would probably not buy one of their newer bikes because of this. It's a shame it happened...
  • mantis
    edited June 2006
    MattN03 wrote:
    Yeah, I know :( I had the Zaskar LE before Pacific bought GT, but would probably not buy one of their newer bikes because of this. It's a shame it happened...

I used to ride GT back in the 80's. Pro Performer, Mach 1 , and a Pro series race bike. Yeah shame man

Dan
    Dan
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2006
    Last week I picked up a Fuji 27" Touring bike at the Goodwill for 9 bucks. It has Specialized tires, Sugino GT cranks and Suntour ARX gearing. Pick it up with your little finger. Good riding bike for the money:cool:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2006
    Bah, what an effin' night...

It was a really nice afternoon for a bike ride. I get about 5 miles into it and all of a sudden my cranks on my bike feel really weird. Oh, yeah, that's because one of them is almost coming off.

I stop, hoping that it just got unscrewed or something, but no -- the damn thing is missing the bolt that holds it in place. Not to mention the thing was incredibly loose to begin with (I find out later). So, I am walking around with my bike about 50 yards one way and then back the other hoping I can find it. Nothing. Then a fellow mountain biker rides up towards me on the trail and asks if I need any help. I said "I'm not quite sure that you'll have anything to help me." I showed him the problem, and obviously he doesn't have what I need. I tell him that I'll be all right because I have my cell phone with me.

Think it can't get worse....? Of course! ;)

My cell phone is frickin' dead.

So, I guess my bike decided instead of a 15 mile ride it'll settle for me taking it for a 5 mile walk. It was a nice night out and all, but freakin' A do I despise walking. Love riding my bike. Meanwhile I am totally hoofin' it out there trying to get back to my car in time to get to Emery's (My bike shop) before it closes at 7. Luckily I made it there.

Turns out I need a whole new crank system because he can't just get the one side. I know, he looked, and the guy is a friend of my brother's from high school (didn't know that until he heard my last name). Not a guy trying to make a quick buck. In any event I am completely out of service until at least Monday night, and $175 lighter. This sucks because I have been riding every night except on Sundays for 3 months now. At least I'll have some new cranks that are way better than the OEM crap on my bike currently, and I probably won't have this problem again.

*sigh*

1099438683_l.jpg
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2006
    While you're getting new cranks, why don't you throw some real pedals on there, too. Platforms?! C'mon Demi :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    While you're getting new cranks, why don't you throw some real pedals on there, too. Platforms?! C'mon Demi :D

Probably next spring. I'm still getting my legs back, and doing mostly flat gravel trail with 2 steep inclines. I just bought the bike 3 months ago. :p

Any suggestions?
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2006
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2006
    I haven't done mountain bike parts shopping in years, I wouldn't even know hwere to begin. I'm pretty sure my pedals (as well as cranks) are all Shimano, but I couldn't tell you what series. And my shoes I have no idea what they are, I picked them up on clearance because they were comfortable, and actually had a tread to them, unlike most clip-on shoes that are completely flat so if you ahve to walk at all in them you end up walking like a goof.
  • Demiurge
    edited October 2006
    I already decided on these:

atac-xs-titan-carbon.jpg
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2006
    Wow, those look bulletproof.

Time makes great pedals, those should be great. i forgot about that brand, honestly, but my cousin (who was a little more into bike tweaking than I) swore by them.