Polk repair service

Options
bendonewrong
bendonewrong Posts: 1
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have a vintage pair of R-20p towers, one of which has developed a rattle. Does anyone know if Polk recommends or certifies persons/businesses to work on their products? I emailed Polk but was unsatisfied with the response:

Good-afternoon Mr.Thern,
You can visit our web-site at www.polkaudio.com and check on the Dealer Locator to see who is in your area by Zip-code.
Also if you know which Part is defective you can order you can order with a Visa, MasterCard, Certified Check or Money Order. Please contact us at the address listed below. Most States require that you pay Sales Taxes.

We also have on our web-site ( www.clubpolk.polkaudio.com) where you can sign on as a Club Polk Member to receive a discount price on Parts and also get 2nd Day shipping at no charge (In USA) Look for the part you need and either send that amount to: Polk Audio - 5601 Metro Dr. - Baltimore, MD.21215 or quote it to us over the phone at 1-800-377-7655.
You can not order the Parts on Line.

Thank You ,
Helen Yarbor
Customer Service / Parts

Now anyone think this is a satisfactory answer from customer service about how I can get this repair to my speaker done? The "dealers" are all discount stores such as Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Not exactly the kind of professional I had in mind to tear into this speaker. I would buy a new speaker, but I have the whole HT matched setup for center, sub, surrounds, etc and you can't find these speakers easily as a replacement. Besides, once the woofer or whatever in there is replaced, I really like my speakers. In their day, they were the flagship standard, and I still swear by 'em.
Post edited by bendonewrong on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The retail locations that are shown upon a dealer search are authorized retail and repair locations for Polk Audio products. Depending on your location in the CONUS, some shops will be specialized in audio repair and some will be generic retail locations. That's just the way it goes, you can't blame Polk, only the businesses in your region.

If you are mechanically inclined, as in can wield a screwdriver, you should take some time to remove a couple drivers from the suspect cabinet to source your "rattle". I would presume the rattle is an easy fix and some investigation might ease your pain.

The R20p is a great vintage loudspeaker, things eventually come loose....I find it all the time in the gear I come across.

Relax, and perhaps expound upon your problem. Polk CS is second to none in my experience...sorry if you read that response so negatively.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Actually, I think this is better than most companies will do. Polk has a very good reputation for customer service, as you can tell by doing a quick search on the forum. They even told you a way to obtain a discount on them. Call them Monday morning, and ask for Ken, Helen, or any of the Polk's CS crew.

As far as replacing the driver yourself, Polk trusts owners to remove the few screws, and replace the driver without having to drag a large, heavy speaker to a repair center to be fixed.

Within the past couple of years, I had a similar problem with Ciruit City's repair center. I had my RT1000p repaired, but they damaged them to the point where they couldn't be fixed at all. If I had known about this forum at that time, I would have known to call Polk CS, send in the bad amplifier, and do most of the work myself without a problem.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Fix those Polks and get back to enjoying them.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Sthrndream
    Sthrndream Posts: 70
    edited June 2006
    Options
    yeah...what Zach said!:D
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Dig in a little and try to figure out where the rattle is coming from, then give Polk customer service a direct call.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29