Speaker sounds like its going

Options
tkdsmith
tkdsmith Posts: 12
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
I just bought myself a used pair of RT12s of ebay and hooked them up today. After turning up the volume and base a bit I noticed a rattle in the top driver of one. It wasn't at a volume significant enough that it should have caused any problems, I've pushed my R-30s higher, so I'm guessing the speaker is on its last leg. I know the driver is an MW7010 but I cant for the life of me find any where to buy a replacement, or take it to get repaired. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Matt
Post edited by tkdsmith on

Comments

• tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Never mind I just spent some more time looking around and found where club polk sells spares.:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk tkdsmith! Contact Polk Customer Service, they can sell you a replacement
    Carl

• tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. One more question for everyone. I noticed today that the tweeters were not producing any sound. As I said in the first post I got these off ebay and just realized that the jumpers were not included with the speakers, I am curious as to whether this is the source of the problem. (I can only assume that HF and LF stand for High and Low Frequency respectively). As it stands when I connect the speakers through the HF post I get no response what so ever.
    Again could this be caused by the absence of the jumpers or are my tweeters just blown like I fear.

Thank you for your help.
    (Sorry if this question is a little silly these are my first set of quality speakers)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    you can make your own jumpers out of speaker wire.. just join the red to red, and black to black and instant jumpers. and some people are reporting they sound better than the metal ones that came with the speakers.

try it out and see how things work out for ya then.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Crap no good, new tweeters it is. Last time I buy used speakers off ebay.
  • tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    thank you for the idea though
  • tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    HAHA I'm an idiot, just looked at pictures of my tweeter online. The magnet on back had fallen off and I didn't even realize it when I pulled it :/, I thought the tweeter looked a little thin though :D. Went digging through the speaker cabinets and sure enough their were the magnets at the bottom. Reattached them and they sound perfect. Kudos on the build quality. Probably also explains how my driver I mentioned got damaged. Funniest part of this whole fiasco was when I pulled the bottom driver out of one speaker I found a solid 8 in of packing peanuts from when it shipped inside the box. (How the hell that happened I'll never know).
    Just thought I share a laugh.
    Matt
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    nice Matt, how do they sound NOW? with the tweeters working again.. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tkdsmith
    edited June 2006
    Options
    They sound absolutely wonderful, the imaging the drives produces blew me away but the added effect of the tweeters is just phenomenal. I can hear where every instrument was placed in the recording studio on most of my cds. Upgrading from my little Magnavox HTIB to my current set up has left me just floored I had no clue how much I was missing. I can’t wait to get my sub in next week and still need to find myself a good center.

Thanks for asking

Currently Running
    H/K AVR 330
    RT 12s (mains)
    R30s (Rear)
    Waiting on a velodyne VA-810-B sub
    Center???? any suggestions looking at CSi30 right now