PSW50 "popping" on device switch & sound mode

Options
PioneerRich
PioneerRich Posts: 12
edited July 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi All,

I'm wondering if you can help me with a popping noise in my old PSW50. I just hooked up the sub via the sub pre-out on my receiver (Pioneer d709s) into the LFE on the sub. Every time I switch between devices (ie dvd to xbox to cable box) I get a popping sound from the subwoofer. The pop also happens when the signal type is switched, like switching from pro logic in a dvd menu to dolby digital when a movie starts. Or when I change channel on the cable box, and the signal on a particular channell changes from dolby digital to pro logic. As I said, it pops only once per device or signal switch.

I have ruled out the subwoofer cable as I replaced it, and the problem still occurs. The pop isn't as loud if the volume on the sub is turned down.

Does this sound like a familiar issue with anyone else? Would it be my receiver or the sub?

I have found that I get a richer sound out of my speakers by connecting the sub via sub cable, and would like to continue with it if this problem can be solved.

My speakers are M1 rears, and the fronts + center are small RM series that came (I believe) as part of a package.

Thanks,
Rich
Post edited by PioneerRich on

Comments

• PioneerRich
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The popping noise does not change when I change the receiver volume. The pop volume (intensity) changes only when I turn the volume up or down on the sub.

Thx
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I think you sub is set too hot / loud. You could benefit by adjusting all speaker levels using a DVD like Avia, other then that I believe what you hear is normal you have no cable problems or equipment troubles. Just my $.02.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2006
    Options
    If you calibrate like Steve said above and you still have a popping noise then:

I would swap/borrow another reciever, hook everything up and see if you get the same popping noise. If the popping noise goes away with the borrowed/swapped reciever, the problem most likely lies somewhere within your Pioneer receiver (maybe in the preamp section).

I'm assuming every source mentioned above (cable box, etc.) is hooked up and passed through the Pioneer receiver.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • PioneerRich
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks Mike,

I only have the audio going into the receiver, I don't switch any video with it since it only has composite and s-video on the back of the panel.

Well, if I have to switch a component out, it would be easier to change the sub, than unhooking all of the speakers, audio cables etc from the shelf.

I guess that would be the only way to confirm the problem? Are you thinking that it is likely the receiver sending some signal to the pre-out when a component changes, hence giving it the pop or thump sound?
  • Mike682
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks Mike,

I only have the audio going into the receiver, I don't switch any video with it since it only has composite and s-video on the back of the panel.

Well, if I have to switch a component out, it would be easier to change the sub, than unhooking all of the speakers, audio cables etc from the shelf.

I guess that would be the only way to confirm the problem? Are you thinking that it is likely the receiver sending some signal to the pre-out when a component changes, hence giving it the pop or thump sound?

Sure, you could easily swap the sub first and see if the pop remains.

I am not a pro and because there are so many variables I could be wrong, but if you swap the sub and the pop remains, I think the receiver may be the cause.
  • PioneerRich
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I was hoping to not have to go to a shop buy something just to return it as I'd feel rather guilty.

I'll see how much it starts to bother me. and then I'll see. :)
  • PioneerRich
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Just an FYI......

I've found out that it is the sub pre-out on my Pioneer receiver that has caused the problem. I switched in a Velodyne DPS-10 sub and it still popped, telling me it was the receiver.

I have since moved the Pioneer to the basement and hooked it up to the towers I have down there.

I bought a Denon 1906 to get me by for a year or two until I do some serious upgrading.

One oddity I have found, you really have to crank the subwoofer levels in the receiver setup for psw50 versus the velodyne. I think I had it at -3db for the Velodyne and +10 so far for the subwoofer in order to have it kick in at lower volumes.

I took the Velodyne back because I found the volume control on the front hard to read. Thinking about the Velodyne DLS3500R.
  • Mike682
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Just an FYI......

I've found out that it is the sub pre-out on my Pioneer receiver that has caused the problem. I switched in a Velodyne DPS-10 sub and it still popped, telling me it was the receiver.

I have since moved the Pioneer to the basement and hooked it up to the towers I have down there.

I bought a Denon 1906 to get me by for a year or two until I do some serious upgrading.

One oddity I have found, you really have to crank the subwoofer levels in the receiver setup for psw50 versus the velodyne. I think I had it at -3db for the Velodyne and +10 so far for the subwoofer in order to have it kick in at lower volumes.

I took the Velodyne back because I found the volume control on the front hard to read. Thinking about the Velodyne DLS3500R.

So, was I correct?:D

Glad to hear you worked it out.
  • PioneerRich
    edited July 2006
    Options