MMC6500 System - Missing Range?

Options
SweetBlackMagic
SweetBlackMagic Posts: 3
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
This is my first post...and I really don't know that much about speaker setups, wiring, terms, etc. I will try and give you as much info as possible...forgive if it gets a little long.

I recently replaced my 6.5 Polks that were over 10 years old with this system. My car is a 1990 Toyota Celica...and yes, I've had it since it was brand new. The 6.5's go in the back panels...the front speakers are 4" Polks as well. In my old setup, I had a JBL 4" component system, but was unable to find a component system that small this time around...I know...the car is OLD.

So, in order to use the MMC6500 system, I had to use the 6.5's in the back and run the tweeters up front to the dash. The right JBL woofer was blown, so it was also replaced with the Polk db400 system.

The speakers...and tweeters in particular...sound spectacular for the most part. The highs are bright without being piercing, and overall very "full." However, I have noticed since first having them installed that some parts of songs are almost inaudible. It seems like everything in the 'mid' range is very muted...especially keyboards, pianos, or rythm guitar licks. It's most obvious on songs that I have listened to for years and KNOW that there should be a sound here or there...but I just can't hear it.

I have all types of HPF turned off on my head unit, but am using the crossovers on my amp. It is an older Kenwood model...4x50 RMS. I have set the crossovers to the speaker specs, but am still experiencing the missing parts to some of my favorite songs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to have spent all this money and not get the full range of my music. Is my amp not powerful enough perhaps? Is everything else so "loud" that it's simply drowning the mid parts out?

Any help is appreciated.

Peace,

Matthew
Post edited by SweetBlackMagic on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I have a set of the MMC6500s and they are very nice.
    Sounds like to me that it's a wiring issue. You might be only hearing one channel thru all the speakers. I've seen it done before. Have the wiring checked by a pro. It shouldn't cost all that much.

Welcome to CP.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • SweetBlackMagic
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I actually thought that myself...but the stereo effect is definitely there and working...again, only because I know the channels from listening to the music previously. If it was only one channel, wouldn't it technically be in mono?
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    No, mono is both combined.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • SweetBlackMagic
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well, I can hear different effects on each side, so I'm assuming it's not in mono...unless that's somehow still possible. Again, please forgive my ignorance...:confused:

Peace,

Matthew