RM6000 - Impedance selection on Receiver

Options
Juan RQ
Juan RQ Posts: 1
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hello everybody, i have some questions about correct setup of my system:
I’m using a RM6000 system with a Yamaha RXV-450 Receiver. I hookup front speakers through subwoofer (like Polk suggest), bass out = Front.

This receiver has an impedance switch like this:

Position 1 “Front: Each speaker must be 4 ohms or higher” “Center and Surrounds: Each speaker must be 6 ohms or higher”

Position 2 “Front: Each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher” “Center and Surrounds: Each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher”

How should i set this impedance selector??

Other question: What is the maximum continuous power handling of satellite speakers?

Well thats all, many thx
Post edited by Juan RQ on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hello Juan,
    Thanks for posting. The consensus of opinion seems to be that you would set the receiver in the high impedance position. If, however, you tend to play your system at fairly high volumes, near the maximum output of the receiver, it would be best to choose the low impedance position.
    The power handling, of any speaker, is not an easy question to answer, since there can be so many variables. It is far more likely to damage a speaker from not having enough power for transient peaks, in the program material, than having too much power. My advice would be to make sure you lean how to use your system within its capabilities and you'll never have a damaged speaker. Pay attention to the way it sounds, especially high frequency performance. If you begin to hear any harshness or brittleness in upper frequencies this is an indicator of distortion being produced by the receiver. You would reduce the playing volume, usually just a small amount, until upper frequencies sound smooth and "sweet", with no harshness.
    I certainly understand that you gave no indication, in your posting, that you were not aware of this admonishment. Buying Polk speakers certainly indicates that you know what good sound is all about. I just used this opportunity to do a little "preaching" about taking care to avoid speaker damage. I guess when you work in customer support you're always trying to spread "safe sound" any chance you can.
    Take care, Ken