Okay, I actually READ the pdf file

Options
mrbigbluelight
mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,280
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
and I still have a question on the R15's and R30's.

....even looked at the pictures !

Lugged the HT over to the daughter and son-in-laws house today, things went pretty smooth. The refurbished Onkyo AV and DVD player .... worked !
Measured out some 14-gauge OF stranded speaker wire, cut to the right lengths, put my million-dollar banana plugs on, hooked the plugs in the back of the Onkyo.

Plugged the bananas into the back of the CS1. Okay.

Got to the R15's and R30's, tried the ol' "Unscrew the plastic nuts, pop the nuts off, get rid of the plastic inserts" routine and ....... :confused:

....the plastic nuts don't pop off. :mad:

Now, maybe it's me :rolleyes: but I unscrewed and pulled/tugged/said-some-potty-words, and they're not coming off.
Pdf manual says they should, they look like they should, they ought to, but they're not.

So my question is: my theory is, get a drill bit out, annihilate the plastic inserts, and be done with it. Does that sound reasonable ?
If it was my stuff, I'd just do it. It's the daughter and s-i-l's so I'm actually asking for references !! :eek:

My sons are finishing rigging up the rest of the schtuff as I type (here at work, being productive). When I get out of here tonight, I'm heading back over there, maybe watch LOTR or something good.

So: do those plastic nuts pop off, or should I drill them buggars out ?

BTW: For future reference, you can put 2 R30's, 4 R15's, a CS1, 2 12-packs of Diet Dr. Pepper, several 100-foot spools of 14-gauge wire, and a carton of Kool's in the trunk of an Intrepid.
The AV and DVD player fit in the back seat, with one son holding an Athena AS-P4000 subwoofer on his lap (son made grunting noises if I took turns too tight and fast, but .......we all made sacrifices. :) )

Thanks !
Sal Palooza
Post edited by mrbigbluelight on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    edited June 2006
    Options
    one long post !!:o
    Sal Palooza
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2006
    Options
    WAAA... Sorry but someone (won't mention names) did exactly what you're suggesting and still hasn't managed to get people to forget he did it. You should be able to slide a knife or something inbetween the plastic plug and the binding post once you have the nut off.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    dont do the drill bit thing!!!!!! I tried and failed with my LSi9's. same thing, some popped out, but some just adamatly refuse.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ....the plastic nuts don't pop off. :mad:

So my question is: my theory is, get a drill bit out, annihilate the plastic inserts, and be done with it. Does that sound reasonable ?
    If it was my stuff, I'd just do it. It's the daughter and s-i-l's so I'm actually asking for references !! :eek:

sounds reasonable to me.. ;) i don't have any problem with that.. i had to do the same thing when i first got my RT800i's.. wear safety goggles though.. a drill bit will cause plastic bits and pieces to fly everywhere.

have fun.. more power (tools) to you!! :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    what plastic nuts are you talking about anyway, the things you screw down to tighten on the wire?
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Quite often speaker companies will chuck in a little plastic cap thing that fits in the space where a banana plug would go. They look like this (sorry for the webcam shot...)
    cap22xu0ax.png
  • mrbigbluelight
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    what plastic nuts are you talking about anyway, the things you screw down to tighten on the wire?

to call them.

Drilled a pilot hole in each plastic insert, and pulled them out using packing pullers (borrowed from work).

....shouldn't have been that hard, but mission accomplished.

.....and their system turned out darned nice, if I say so myself. Which I just did. It's no BB Insignia rig, I'll admit, but ..... nice.
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2006
    Options
    good work mrBBL !! :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: