Car Detailing & Products

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have been visiting Advance alot lately seeing what different types of cleaners to try and experiment with.

Here are some things I am fairly set on...

Interior -
Nascar Tire Shine (Not Oily, But Leaves A Deep Shine)

Exterior -
Nascar Tire Shine for the vinyl and weather stripping.
Wheels - Mothers Metal Polish For "Power Ball" (Amazing Metal/Chrome Polish)
Mothers "Power Ball" - Excellent for polishing and waxing...
Bleach White (White Letter Cleaner) & Wire Brush

I like the Nascar stuff because its not very oily, but man it leaves a long lasting shine and has one more ounce than the regular armor all. The regular armor all is way to watered down. Not many people will agree with me on this product - but that dosnt really bother me.

Things Im not really set on, but am currently using...
Mcguires (sp) Gold Class Wax - I like it, but I want something better.
McGuires (sp) Hot Shot Tire Shine (I want something shinier and deeper looking)

I want to try -
Eagle One Nanowax, HAS ANYONE USED THIS? Impressions?
Armor All Tire Shine Gel? Has anyone used this? What type of tire shine leaves an INSANELY deep shine?

Lets hear the impressions.

PS: For those of you that have not tried the Mothers Power Ball - go to Advance and buy it along with the power ball metal polish, I mean holy hell - we are talking about 1 hours worth of scrubbing in a matter of seconds and it looks beautiful. The Mothers Metal Polish is expensive, but it dosnt take alot to do an area and it dosnt sling much.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Dude, you're really getting this stuff down to a science, aren't ya? Once you've got your program dialed in, I just may have to ride over one day to let you do your number on my Jeep!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2006
    Sid, if you have not tried a clay bar yet, you should. You can pick up one from AutoZone for about $10.00 (the Mothers version comes with a sample of their wax and sells for about $16.00)

If you have no idea what a clay bar is, do a quick google search on clay bar and see what you get...

For those who don't like google, this is a clay bar.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • VR3
    edited June 2006
    So is that for just prepping it for wax...or?

Im not a big fan of hand waxing - to me its almost going into a race with one leg...

Sure it looks better, but a buffer or the power ball does 4 times the work in half the time. Again, my opinion.

Ive never heard of a clay bar - but from what I read in the thing, it was more of a prepping product.

Interested I am.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    Haha, I've heard of a clay bar. And I haven't gotten up the courage to try one on my Jeep yet!

From what I've heard, you can find a car with an amazing paint job that's been washed and looks fantastic, go over it with a clay bar and get tons of gunk out of the paint. From what I've heard, it's amazing the stuff you can get out of a 'clean' paint job. Sounds like it'd take days for me to go over my Jeep like that. Though I think I'd like to try it sometime.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    That was an interesting read regarding clay bars, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    I use plain old fashioned Armor All. It works just fine for my needs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited June 2006
    I use and highly recommend Meguiar's for nearly everything. I use a lot of the Professional Line which can't be found in most chain automotive stores, but can be ordered direct. Check out the Meguiar's Forum sometime. Here is a link to a gallery of my Ranger (daily driver), my 03 Mach 1 Mustang (drag racer/show car), and my wifes 02 Accord.

Here is a direct link to my wifes Accord. The paint on the passenger side is untouched, while the drivers side has Meguiar's #80 (light swirl remover/polish), Meguiar's Deep Crystal polish, and Meguiar's NXT. The dividing line is quite distinct.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    I'm third generation Meguiars, but one of the best finishes I've ever seen on a car was done with Zaino. They make some pretty serious stuff, its not wax.

http://www.zainostore.com/
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2006
    +1 on the Zaino.............nothing shines this good. Its in a whole other league.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    I really like Meguiars stuff, from their waxes to the tire gel stuff (comes in a spray version now too). I do not mind waxing by hand. I often do a 3 step system by hand (cleaner, polish, and wax). I have done the 3 step system after claying the car and the results are pretty darn good. My car is a bit older, but I still get complements on the paint job. People can't believe how old the car is when they look at the paint job. I actually think the paint is not that good, but the Meguiars stuff helps alot.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,165
    edited June 2006
    When I used to detail, I like Ardex Products. Pro Makes some good stuff as well.3m makes really good compounds,polishes and waxes.
    Home products I like Mothers and Meguiars.

I own a 1000-3000 buffers and buff cars once in awhile. I enjoy detailing when I'm not doing it for a living.

Tire shine I haven't found a favorite home product. I perfer a natural shine without the high gloss. A few products work ok, but I'm still looking for the right one.

I still have some Ardex products like Bumper magic, Speedy, Marine all purpose(purple which is hands down the best AP on the market)and there white dressing. The white is really good.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    +1 on the Zaino.............nothing shines this good. Its in a whole other league.
    Whao, that's quite a shine.

Oh, and....is that your garage?!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Nice shine, and nice cars :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited June 2006
    Dont even think about using a clay bar if you dont know what you are doing with it.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    How would you ever know if you never try?

Tell me what I should know...'cause I really wanna try one out.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    How would you ever know if you never try?

Tell me what I should know...'cause I really wanna try one out.
    Follow directions.

Keep it (the surface you are claying and the clay) wet.

If you drop it, throw it away.

You should be fine from there.

Michael

(edit - almost forgot, offer to do the wifes car first..... :D )
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    Thanks for the tips. That article that was linked to regarding clay bars also emphasized lubrication. If I drop it I need to throw it away? Shoot, I probably need to buy about five of them, then. :D

Good idea about trying it out on someone else's car, too. Though being 18, I think I'll try it out on Mom's instead of my wife's car. :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited June 2006
    This zaino stuff ...

What do you goes use to put on the paint - is it a polish? Any direct link to it?

How long does this "polish" last - how often do you have to reapply?

With my red paint, to keep it looking good I have to wax the hood/top about every 2-3 weeks just because it fades very easy due to the color. My Dads ol red truck was the same way.

Keep it coming.
  • MattN03
    edited June 2006
    This zaino stuff ...

What do you goes use to put on the paint - is it a polish? Any direct link to it?

How long does this "polish" last - how often do you have to reapply?

With my red paint, to keep it looking good I have to wax the hood/top about every 2-3 weeks just because it fades very easy due to the color. My Dads ol red truck was the same way.

Keep it coming.

Here is the Zaino website. It your paint is fading that quickly, I have to wonder if you don't have a 2 stage paint, ie no clear coat. My dad's 91 Ford F-150 truck is red and doesn't have clearcoat and it fades relatively quickly no matter what wax he used.
  • VR3
    edited June 2006
    Yeah anytype of strong cleaner for metal/all purpose strips it all the way down...

So I probally dont have a clear coat...
  • MattN03
    edited June 2006
    Yeah anytype of strong cleaner for metal/all purpose strips it all the way down...

So I probally dont have a clear coat...

Using a strong cleaner on your paint is probably not the best idea actually...:eek: Can you tell us the following-type of vehicle, it's age, it's color, is it parked in the sun alot? It's best to wash with a soap solution specifically for cars (Autozone carries several brands for instance) which means staying away from Dawn dishwasher detergent as it will strip any wax from the paint.
  • VR3
    edited June 2006
    haha...

I guess I ran into that one...

I use Duragloss to wash my truck...

I use a Powerball to clean my metal and I was using some cheap metal cleaner that was very strong, it got on my paint and stripped it. I had to rewax that area.

As for the all purpose cleaner, I just got through cleaning my engine earlier today and I got some on the paint, and the same thing happened. I have to rewax the hood (which I was going to do tommorow regardless - its about that time).

The Duragloss stuff is pretty awesome, dosnt strip the wax and it cleans everything off pretty good.

I used dishwasher detergent on the first wash and I will never do that again. Huge mistake.

Its a 91 Ford F150 XLT Lariat, Red/White Two Tone
  • MattN03
    edited June 2006
    haha...

I guess I ran into that one...

I use Duragloss to wash my truck...

I use a Powerball to clean my metal and I was using some cheap metal cleaner that was very strong, it got on my paint and stripped it. I had to rewax that area.

As for the all purpose cleaner, I just got through cleaning my engine earlier today and I got some on the paint, and the same thing happened. I have to rewax the hood (which I was going to do tommorow regardless - its about that time).

The Duragloss stuff is pretty awesome, dosnt strip the wax and it cleans everything off pretty good.

I used dishwasher detergent on the first wash and I will never do that again. Huge mistake.

Its a 91 Ford F150 XLT Lariat, Red/White Two Tone

Seeing as you have a Lariat, I would expect the paint to clearcoat. My recommendation is to switch metal polishes for starters. Megiuar's NXT Metal Polysh (their spelling, not mine) and Mother's make great metal polish for chrome, bare aluminum such as non-clearcoated wheels, or even a aluminum diamond plate toolbox. Washing the engine in general is somewhat risky since there are so many electrical components under late models-yours may not be bad since it's a 91 though. Next time your at Autozone, look around for a engine cleaner like the brand Gunk. Any engine cleaner is going to be pretty harsh on the paint however.
  • VR3
    edited June 2006
    I recently switched to Mothers Power Metal polish for the Powerball. (see first of stuff I am currently using)...

When we cleaned the engine, we covered the distributor cap and the intake, basically covered everything in the cleaner, let it set a bit then washed it all off.

Only reason I was using that cheap stuff is...well, its basiclaly all I had at the time - its a liquid, and the powerball slung it everywhere...

The mothers powermetal polish is a carnuba type wax substance, its not wax - but its that type of cleaner, gel like... dosnt sling and it does one hell of a fine job...
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited June 2006
    Clay bar and Zaino products is a cant loose combo!!!
    Just don't be clumsy as I was with my first two claybars (dropped!!!).

The zaino gets easier and easier each time use it. Wipes on and off like butter lol.
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    There us nothing else in the universe like westleys bleach white for tires. Gives the tires a healthy looking clean look. Spray it on the whole tire, brush lightly then hose off. You can see the brown crap rolling out of the tire.

THEN, spray with a tire shine product, WOW! Looks cool when you first do it but then the next few times you powerwash the tires it just makes them look fresh and new.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MattN03
    edited June 2006
    madmax wrote:
    There us nothing else in the universe like westleys bleach white for tires. Gives the tires a healthy looking clean look. Spray it on the whole tire, brush lightly then hose off. You can see the brown crap rolling out of the tire.

madmax

Westley's Bleach White is what I like to use also, but never let it get on bare (non clearcoated) aluminum wheels. It'll discolor the aluminum and will take a lot of polishing to get the spots out! I'm saying this from experience :(