Crossover or Speaker??

Options
rob5482
rob5482 Posts: 2
edited June 2006 in Troubleshooting
I need some help here. I have a pair of r30's (love them btw). Just recently I noticed one of them is only playing the highs. NO BASS OR MID comming from it at all. I looked at the crossover and it doesnt look damaged and I also looked at the 6.5 and that looks ok also. I am at a loss here. I dont want to have to send the entire speaker back for repair. PLease any ideas??

thanks
bob

oh ps i switched the two speakers to see if it was a reciever prob
Post edited by rob5482 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hello Bob,
    It is difficult to look at a driver and know if it is working or not, the voice coil is hidden inside the driver's frame. So, from the outside it looks fine. The best way to determine if it's working or not is to try playing it at a moderate volume disconnected from your speaker. In other words, remove the driver from the speaker cabinet, disconnect the wires and try playing it with your receiver directly. If it is not working follow the instructions in the warranty section of the owner's manual and send it to us for replacement.
    Regards, Ken
  • ward91
    ward91 Posts: 338
    edited June 2006
    Options
    if you have a multi meter disconect each speaker touch it acros conections and if one or all of them dont read then you hopefully have found the fault,

in a old pair of speakers i have all the problem was was a loose screw not making contact so cheque them if there is any.

if you feel ok touching and polking stuf place 3 fingers in a line downas centrel as you can so not to nock the voice coil into anything. gentely press the bass/mids (not so hard as to push in the dust caps ore tare the cones) and if they make a skrachey sound you can almoast certenly say they are blown. althought in this case i dont think that they will be blown, it sounds like a crossover/connection fault.

but i could be wrong
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .