Advice Needed: SR6500 and JL Audio Amp

Comments

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited June 2006
    I would think JL Audio would be thinking about the 10 volts with the car switched off. If you have four yellow top battery's in your car then you can have your car switched off and listen to your music.

The battery voltage in a battery fully charged is about 12.5 volts. So with the regulated power supply it would allow you to play the JL Audio amp a good bit longer without losing the sound quality and such.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    Thats what they want you to think. Fact of the matter is that they draw more current because of that technology, so it wont make a difference. If your voltage is 12.5 and you play your amp for an hour with an efficiency of 50% its going to draw more power than an amp with an efficicency of 65%.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited June 2006
    I just checked out this RIPS system. Seems not so good to me. The whole detecting your speakers resistance and adjusting the rails so you always get the rated power no matter the speaker load, that is just silly. All you are doing is limiting the amps potential power output. To get optimal power to a speaker, you need a good power supply. If you half the resistance and you don't double your output, your power supply can't deliever the necessary current. I think the better solutions is a better power supply. Go from 75 Watts at 4 ohms to 150 Watts and 2 ohm. Now you can get twice the output from the amp if you choose 2 ohm speakers, more options seems better to me.

I don't know, just my initial thoughts, but at least JL is trying something different. That is good to see, although in this case it doesn't seem to make sense to me right now. I'm sure the JL amp will work just fine though. And Polk has been making sub woofer amps for a long time. Migrating to car amps shouldn't have been that big a deal, especially if they hired someone with experience to help with the design.

Just my thoughts.

Howie
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    its because everyone who buys JL doesnt really know what theyre doing, theyre just buying it for the name. Therefore they have to "idiot proof" their amps.
    -Cody
  • tigmd99
    tigmd99 Posts: 50
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Wow, their amps can make the same power from 10-14V. Umm...who cares? If your car is running at 10V then theres something wrong...
    -Cody
    Does your car always run at 14 volts? Why do you hate JL amp being tightly regulated to all power input and resistance?? It is consistent. Yet, you guys mention how power handling is regulated in the Polk amps (as is the case with all other amps)...well, if you guys hate regulation so much, then why are you mentioning this?
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    Just as Polk has highly advertised the one review of the SR6500, i will post professional reviews of the Slash amp:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_pages.php?page_id=1

As you can see, more than one person is in agreement.:) I guess that all you guys behind the keyboard knows a lot more.:D

Here is one full review of the 300/4:

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/jl_3004.html

NOTICE: S/N ratio > 121!! Watts= 90-97 watts/channel RMS at 12.8-14 volts!
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    Now, for all you people who think that JL audio has cheated you out of extra power by it's tight regulation, i would like to ask you one thing. Ready?
    - JL 300/4 = Polk 400.4 in price.
    - JL 300/4 = Polk 400.4 in RMS and MAX power output (more or less).
    - Both are the same size...well, JL is actually a bit smaller i think.
    - Both are considered to be in the same class and appeal to the same customer looking for a high quality 4-channel amp.
    - Both are sold at good reputable dealers (Tweeter in my case).

Ok, where did JL audio cheated you out of power or value?? Both are basically the same except for JL Audio's guarantee of consistent power output regardless of input voltage and resistance. And THAT is a BAD thing?????!!! I am confused. So, with this JL Audio Slash guarantee, you would expect the JL amp to make less power than Polk Carbon, right? Nope. It makes just as much as Polk. So, where did JL audio mess up??!! Where did JL cheated their customers out of power?? Maybe, i am just a beginner in car audio and do not have the deep knowledge that you guys have.

As for warranty, let me give you another example. Is a Hyundai better than Lexus?? Is a Kia better than Toyota?? Well, both Hyundai and Kia offer a much better warranty than the Japanese powerhouse. Does that automatically make a Hyundai/Kia better than Lexus??!! It's interesting, isn't it? Now, i am not saying that Polk = Kia. But, is it possible that Polk HAD to offer something different so that it can compete with the big boys?? Does this make Polk better than JL Audio by default?? No. I am sure other people appreciate Polk stuff. I will be soon enough when i buy the SR6500s.

JL Audio Slash amps are well proven and well tested. There is no reason to rag on it to make yourself feel better about your purchase of the Carbon amps.:rolleyes:

If you have evidence where Polk Carbon 400.4 performs BETTER than JL Audio 300/4, then please post it up. Otherwise, thanks for your bias opinion.:)
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    JL 300/4 75x4 or 150x2
    Polk 75x4 or 200x2

Where or where do i get my information? Maybe polk's and jl's website? No...couldnt be, thatd be way too easy.

Its people like you that give JL such a bad name with your stuck up elitist attitude:rolleyes:
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    also, tweeter lists the JL amp at 500, sounddomain lists the polk amp at 400
    so, you get -50 watts for 100 dollars! thats a great deal!
    -Cody
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    JL 300/4 75x4 or 150x2
    Polk 75x4 or 200x2

Where or where do i get my information? Maybe polk's and jl's website? No...couldnt be, thatd be way too easy.

Its people like you that give JL such a bad name with your stuck up elitist attitude:rolleyes:
    -Cody

Elitest?? Are you freaking kidding me?? You guys are the one ragging on my amp and badmouthing it. Didn't one of you guys tell me to throw away my amp for the Polk??!! When did i ever insult ANY Polk stuff until now??? And I am the elitest one?! You're too funny, Cody!:D You guys just convince me to treat you guys like children...children with inferiority complex!!

If i was an elitest, then why am i here?? I would be getting Rainbow or MB Q216 speakers, right?

Cody, does your car battery always make 14.4 volts??? You never answered my question.

Look at the TEST REPORT of the JL amp above...look at the rated power. Please also see that i did mention "more or less" in what i wrote above. And didn't you know JL underrates their amp? :p
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    also, tweeter lists the JL amp at 500, sounddomain lists the polk amp at 400
    so, you get -50 watts for 100 dollars! thats a great deal!
    -Cody

Hey, why don't you go by TWEETER prices for BOTH??!!!! Wouldn't that make more sense??:rolleyes: At my Tweeter store, both are sold for the same price. Would you like to check on it yourself?? I can give you their phone number. The Polk is probably on sale right now because no one is buying them. Tweeter would not even budge on the JL amp price. Again, let me remind you of Lexus vs. Hyundai.:D (Just kidding.)

Holy ****...this is frustrating! It's like talking to a 5-year old...and not the brightest star either!
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    One more point before bed. Since Cody reminded me to take a closer look at the specs, i did and this is what i find interesting...i hope you too.

In the JL Audio 300/4 amp specs:

Rated Power = 75 W RMS x 4 at 1.5-4 ohms (11-14.5 Volts)

THD at Rated Power < 0.03% at 4 ohm per channel (20 Hz to 20 kHz)

S/N ratio > 108.5 dB referred to rated power
    In the Carbon 400.4 amp specs:

Rated Power = 75 W RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (14.4 Volts)

THD at Rated Power 0.1% at 4 ohms per channel (20Hz to 20kHz)

S/N ratio > 105 dB

So, JL Slash amp makes rated power at <0.03% of THD. Polk Carbon amp makes rated power at 0.1% of THD. Emphasis is on decimal point and "<" symbol. Slash amps make good power at very low distortion. It is a super clean amp (S/N > 120 in review above). (And to boot, it makes more than it's rated power!!)

And someone mentioned above about Polk amp having features not present on the JL Slash amp...which features were you talking about???? The Slash amp regulates itself to the voltage input and speaker impedance to keep everything on the level. Don't you want that?! I do. No matter what changes, the amp output does not...it will always make it's rated power.

Have a good night.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    First off that .07% difference is totally meaningless cause you cant hear harmonic distortion below %2-3 anyway.

And both amps exceed their rated power.

Second, a fully regulated amplifier is great and all but not as good as one that is not. Music doesnt play at the same intensity. Certain things like snare drum slaps and so on will require more output from the amp. If youre running thru a strictly regulated amp putting out the same amount of power these frequency spikes will not be played with as much intensity.

The bottom line on all this is that both these amps are excellent equipment. The differences between them are so small as to not be worth noting. Lexus vs Hyundai? Not really. More like BMW vs Mercedes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    tigmd99 wrote:

I guess that all you guys behind the keyboard knows a lot more.
    JL Audio Slash amps are well proven and well tested. There is no reason to rag on it to make yourself feel better about your purchase of the Carbon amps.
    elitist attitude.

Whoopty **** do. they make an amp that does 90x4 and is only rate at 75x4

RF Power 3002 is rated at 50x2 and puts out 125x2. Its rated at 300w bridged at 2 ohms but puts out on average over 830. Not thats underrated. If you think Polk's amp only does 75x4 youre on crack

Everyone polk 400.4 ive run across does at least 95x4. I work at a shop, i see a lot of these amps.

To answer your question, my truck runs at 14.6V with the ac on, 14.8V with the ac off.

Professional rating? Please. Are they going to bad mouth a company that gives them money for advertising? Hell no.

Why didnt i go to tweeter for both? They dont list polks car audio line. How much is your tweeter selling the JL for? Id like to know if its cheaper than $400, hell, msrp for the polk is $450...and who pays msrp?

Can you hear the difference b/t >0.03 and 1%, ESPECIALLY in a car. If you can ill give you 100 bucks.

The only reason you can come up with that JLs slash series is so great is because they have regulated power supplys. Like i said earlier, if your cars voltage is different from 13-14.4 then you have some problems.

If theres anything else youd like to add or ask, ill give you an answer:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Well at least JL doesnt shamelessly promote their Ebay auctions in their sig. Especially since its ended already.

:p
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    its just there to remind people of the great deal they missed out on:D
    but if you guys still want one, ill still sell em to ya;)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Nah. Still trying to save for my amps. Ya believe that? Im about to save up and spend $600+ just to get rid of a stupid "pop" and save myself 1 stinking point. Is this a sickness or what?

• exalted512
    edited June 2006
    hell yea it is...ive got ya beat though, by the end of the month ill be dropping $1800...but on 4 amps, a processor, and a bunch of wiring crap. Then another grand later this year for the Pioneer avh7800 with navigation. dont really need it, but i can:D. Plus, with the 360º, i dont need a great sq deck. But this is the most sq oriented "screen" out there right now.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    Where are you getting all this freaking money?!

You aint selling your body down on MLK boulevard are ya?

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2006
    I'd quote tigmd99 on a number of posts, but it would take a lot more space. This is probably a prime opportunity to "agree to disagree". Likening Polk to Hyundai or Kia on the official Polk forum will bring about a knee-jerk response pretty quick.

Car audio is a subjective thing, which is good- it would be a drag if you went to buy an amp/HU/speaker and there was only one brand offered for sale on the planet.

tigmd99-

You have obviously listened to the SRs, which has in turn brought you to this forum, right? If you like them, buy them and you'll probably be very happy with them. They are soundly built and engineered, with excellent customer service and experience behind them. If you have listened to the competition, you probably have to agree that for the dollar value you could do worse for more cash.

Polk products have their "haters" too- read enough forums and there is a surprising amount of negative opinion out there from people set in their misconceptions. The SRs have really opened some eyes out there- people who previously wrote off Polks Db and Momo series as "Kias" and "Hyundais" based solely on preconceptions. While this forum has some staunch supporters of all things Polk, many people on here have a variety of brands of car audio products, as well as experience with all of the above. There are some experienced installers and competitors on this forum who obviously don't mind having some fun with your brand preconceptions.

I can confess to owning some JL stuff, too. While I can't fault the product for sound quality or reliability, better performance could've been had for less with some careful, informed shopping. If I had to pay anything close to MSRP for JL, I wouldn't have bothered, as "brand cachet" was not a motivating factor behind the purchase- reviews and personal experience were, along with some goals for my system.

While it's not fair to blindly say something like "JL" or "Polk is the best" without a whole lot of qualifying statements (plus we'd be subject to litigation from the Zapco and USD Audio people ;) ), Polk is known by those who have owned the product to give outstanding performance per dollar spent throughout the product line. My subjective ears prefer Polk components over those dry sounding ones from JL, and yours may not.

Sonically, Polk and JL amplifiers are far fom being "Kias". Both brands, as well as many others are "worthy" of powering the SRs. Should JL's "R.I.P.S." power supply be something to base your purchase on? I could maybe see it if most of your in-car listening is done with the engine off, key in ACC position, and for that you'd better be running a quality deep cycle battery. If you usually play your system while driving, the R.I.P.S. setup will not really offer a huge benefit as you will be seeing at least 13 volts in the electrical system in most modern cars, and 14+ in many.

Your JL 300/4 will give decent sound quality, some headroom and flexibility with system setup for those SRs. Question answered. We'll need you to start another thread for "What is the ultimate amp for SRs" or even "Why my JL300/4 is the best amp in the world" ;). Or, better yet- "Why I love my new SRs".
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    Greg, thanks for the post.

Remember, i started this thread because i really like the SR6500s. I never advertised JL Audio. In fact, i was not very impress with JL's speakers. I never owned anything from JL before buying this amp a couple of months back. My recent posts above (on this page) are about the Slash amps, NOT the speakers. And let's keep it JL Slash vs. Polk Carbon and not bring other amps in...this is the point of our recent debate.

And quite frankly, i only got defensive of my JL amp because of the bias ELITEST attitude of some forum members. And i am not particularly impress with the lack of facts to back up their opinions.

And since some of you have misread my posts, let me remind you that i did NOT compare Polk to Hyundai or Kia. I was using the example to talk about the differences in warranty. Please do not put words into my mouth. That is a cheap way to argue.

Lastly, even if you take RIPS out of the equation, the Slash amps are equal to or better than the Carbon amps in all measurable specs.:)
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Everyone polk 400.4 ive run across does at least 95x4. I work at a shop, i see a lot of these amps.

Professional rating? Please. Are they going to bad mouth a company that gives them money for advertising? Hell no.

Why didnt i go to tweeter for both? They dont list polks car audio line. How much is your tweeter selling the JL for? Id like to know if its cheaper than $400, hell, msrp for the polk is $450...and who pays msrp?

If theres anything else youd like to add or ask, ill give you an answer:D
    -Cody

Whoopy do, you have seen a lot of Polk amps at your shop. Were they in for repairs or were they returned items?? Just kidding.:D

If you notice, the JL Slash 300.4 amp does run at least 95 watts/channel at a lower THD.:) Hey, with both great amps, it comes down to the details and features. I don't see where JL lacks any features as compared to Polk Carbon.

Hmmm, from your second sentence above, does this mean that the amazing review of the SR6500's is BOGUS?!! You said that all these reviewers are bias because respective companies are paying them $$$ to give good reviews, right???

But, unlike the ONE review of SR6500s, the Slash amps have gotten glowing reviews by MANY reviewers. It's NOT a "decent" amp. It's a well respected amp that has graded out very well. Polk Carbon amps got ONE review. I guess that Polk only pays ONE person for each of their products.:D

LOOK AT THIS QUOTE from review linked above:

"Note one point to seriously consider: Take a close look at the reactive power vs. the resistive power. On a real speaker, as opposed to a bench resistor, this amp really performs, to the tune of almost a doubling of power. The adaptive power supply scores some extra points where it matters — driving speakers."

Doubling of power in real life...do you see that?:eek: Cool, huh?

If no one pays MSRP, then why the hell did you bring up the price differences?!! What was your point?! I can assure you that the JL Slash amps hold their value better than the Polk's...thus, you will likely get more off MSRP on the Polk's than JL's.

Anything else?
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    First off that .07% difference is totally meaningless cause you cant hear harmonic distortion below %2-3 anyway.

And both amps exceed their rated power.

Second, a fully regulated amplifier is great and all but not as good as one that is not. Music doesnt play at the same intensity. Certain things like snare drum slaps and so on will require more output from the amp. If youre running thru a strictly regulated amp putting out the same amount of power these frequency spikes will not be played with as much intensity.

The difference in THD between the two amps is very small. But, it's actually AT LEAST 0.07% difference.:D However, since Cody was bitching like a little kid about the small details of my discussion, i answered back with detail differences b/w the two amps.

Can you help me out with the intensity thing that you talked about? Are you saying that 90 to 97 watts per channel going into a fairly efficient speaker is not enough for some type of music???? Remember, even though it's regulated to guarantee that the Slash amps makes AT LEAST 75 Watts/channel (at super low < 0.03%THD), there is NO cap (no upper limit) on the real-world power, as stated in the reviews linked above. So, i don't see your point. Here's the big one, I am assuming that Cody does not talk out of his **** and that Polk Carbon rates at around 95 watts/channel. Well, guess what? JL 300.4 does the same thing. Difference is that the rating i am quoting is from an ACTUAL intrumental professional review, not word of mouth.

Again, if you have evidence where Polk Carbon 400.4 performs BETTER than JL Audio 300/4, then please post it up. Otherwise, thanks for your bias opinion

As for Mercedes vs. BMW, i actually prefer Lexus. Those two companies have gone down in quality and reliability, esp. MB. Both are living on their past reputations. I do like my one German car though.:p
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    tigmd99 wrote:
    Lastly, even if you take RIPS out of the equation, the Slash amps are equal to or better than the Carbon amps in all measurable specs.:)
    how?
    -Cody
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    how?
    -Cody

Can you read?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    tigmd99 wrote:
    Whoopy do, you have seen a lot of Polk amps at your shop. Were they in for repairs or were they returned items?? Just kidding.:D
    we dont sell Polk, all are actually installed;)
    If you notice, the JL Slash 300.4 amp does run at least 95 watts/channel at a lower THD.:) Hey, with both great amps, it comes down to the details and features. I don't see where JL lacks any features as compared to Polk Carbon.
    again, if you can hear the difference b/t 0.1 and 0.03, ill give you a hundred bucks. Hell, theres an amp challenge around thatll pay you 10k just to tell the difference in sound b/t the two amps.
    Hmmm, from your second sentence above, does this mean that the amazing review of the SR6500's is BOGUS?!! You said that all these reviewers are bias because respective companies are paying them $$$ to give good reviews, right???
    Im just stating the obvious, look how many pages in the same magazine are full pages with JL promos. If I were running the company, I would say JL was god's gift to car audio. I wouldnt mention I think they are way overpriced for what you get, use technology thats not that useful, or just use plain old technology(but thats not in their amp line)
    But, unlike the ONE review of SR6500s, the Slash amps have gotten glowing reviews by MANY reviewers. It's NOT a "decent" amp. It's a well respected amp that has graded out very well. Polk Carbon amps got ONE review. I guess that Polk only pays ONE person for each of their products.:D
    Ask anyone out there that doesnt know much about audio, ask what brand they think is the best. I guarantee you JL will be said 90 out of 100 times. People dont know better. Theyre so mind set that theyll great, even if it sounds like crap they will self-consicously tell themselves its great. Kind of like if your mom and dad are racist, chances are you will be too. I must admit, JL has one helluva marketing department.
    LOOK AT THIS QUOTE from review linked above:

"Note one point to seriously consider: Take a close look at the reactive power vs. the resistive power. On a real speaker, as opposed to a bench resistor, this amp really performs, to the tune of almost a doubling of power. The adaptive power supply scores some extra points where it matters — driving speakers."
    id like to see how he takes his measurements.
    "this is a great amp it looks cool ecspecially at night with the blue comin around the ... great show off amp not just with looks but with bass to shakes the whole car you can see the roof bounce with this thing wide open i think its probally puttin out a little more great features can control evry thing the bass nob with it is great its blue and when it hits it turns red it is awesome but dosnt control bass but if you switch it where its connected to the amp you can control the bass but it does not light up but great amp looks great only down sides are chrome scratches easy not recomended if you are gonna hide it. "

"Running 2 pairs of these off the factory head unit in my Renault Megane Hatchback '96 Model alone these things sound beautiful and my head unit needs changing. These almost made me decide not too. I like nice true sound, not really nicely coloured sound. Nice, true sound is what I get from these guys. Everyone who gets in to my car goes, "That's your stock head unit?" "What speakers are those?" "You got no amp?" "Tell me where to get these exact speakers". When I tell them that their car me need the 6inch version they look at me funny, thinking they don't want to even chance buying another size in case it doesn't sound like mine, so I have to reassure them it will most likely. I can't wait to amp them and am looking at the audiobahn a6004t for that. They're NICE! REAL NICE!! "

Those must be some awesome products! Oo wait, both were reviews of audiobahn.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNABC525T
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNA1500HCT
    If no one pays MSRP, then why the hell did you bring up the price differences?!! What was your point?! I can assure you that the JL Slash amps hold their value better than the Polk's...thus, you will likely get more off MSRP on the Polk's than JL's.

Anything else?
    I was just stating that from tweeter, they sell the JL for more than Polks MSRP. By saying no one pays MSRP, one would be led to believe that the actual price for polk would be even lower. Sorry, I figured youd be able to put one and one together. How much is your tweeter selling the amps for?
    -Cody
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    Cody, i am at a lost with you. There's just no logic to your thinking...at all!

Did you even READ the review above?? Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?! Ok, here's the review again:

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/jl_3004.html

It is NOT by a consumer of the product. I have no idea why you even posted up consumer reviews of a different product & brand. I think that i get what you're saying, but it bears no relation at all to what we're talking about. Do you have ADD??!! Stick to the topic at hand. Dude, you need to get off the glue...it ain't helping your mind at all! Geez.

Let me ask you this...if amps A & B are the same, except for a slight difference in THD, which would you pick? And doesn't THD add up in a system?? So, if you had a choice, then you would always want to pick the lowest THD, right?? THD here and there all add up in the end. Even i know this and i consider myself a novice. After reading all the responses here, i should crown myself as "car audio expert". Geez. Basic stuff people. Basics!! And this guy installs stereo for a living!! WTF?!

So, just because JL audio advertises a lot, they are a bad company making crappy products?!! JL Audio is NOT BOSE. Despite what you may think, JL Audio is very well respected throughout car audio industry. Is it possible that a company can advertise (because it has $$) and make good products at the same time?? Is that just not possible??

With Polk audio advertising their SR6500s everywhere, does that make Polk bad too??? I am at a lost with your clearly flawed logic.

Overpriced with useless technology?? Who's opinion?? The bias people on this small POLK forum?? Why don't we look at independent reviews?? Clearly, the few bias opinions on this forum about JL Slash amps are NOT shared outside this forum.

So, are you really saying that JL Slash amps can't hold a candle to the Polk Carbon amps??? This is too funny. TELL ME WHY. SHOW ME PROOF. SHOW ME WHAT FEATURE(S) POLK HAS THAT JL SLASH DOES NOT.

My Tweeter sells JL Slash 300/4 for $499 or something (forgot exact price). Polk Carbon sold for same price until about a week ago when they "slashed" the price down to $399. Tweeter was not moving them. Despite this, if you ask the car audio manager and installer (two different person) which one they recommend, they will say the same thing...JL Slash. If you want, then PM me...i can give you their phone numbers.
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited June 2006
    Why do you all want to argue over two great amps. Theres not enough differences in them to even argue over them. Both are outstanding amps at about the same prices.

If you have JL Audio stuck up your **** then keep your slash amp. But the polk carbon series amps can compete with the slash series in any event.
  • tigmd99
    edited June 2006
    cam5860 wrote:
    Why do you all want to argue over two great amps. Theres not enough differences in them to even argue over them. Both are outstanding amps at about the same prices.

If you have JL Audio stuck up your **** then keep your slash amp. But the polk carbon series amps can compete with the slash series in any event.

I agree. Cam, i came into this thread to ask about SR6500s, not to get my amp slammed. Apparently, some members have a complex and have to insult other amps to make them feel better.:rolleyes: It's the members here that have the Carbon amp stuck up their ****. Maybe you should lecture to them.;)
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    tigmd99 wrote:
    Can you help me out with the intensity thing that you talked about? Are you saying that 90 to 97 watts per channel going into a fairly efficient speaker is not enough for some type of music????

Not at all. Think of it like this. Music doesnt play at the same volume or intensity all the time. Sometimes you have quiet parts like a soft violin then the next second you could have a loud part like a cymbal crash. An amp that is fully regulate wont have much "wiggle room" between the really soft parts and the really dynamic parts.

Granted Im splitting hairs here because the difference will be very small.
    Again, if you have evidence where Polk Carbon 400.4 performs BETTER than JL Audio 300/4, then please post it up. Otherwise, thanks for your bias opinion

Not saying the Polk performs better just that it performs better for my needs. I like the fact that its not regulated, I like the Pre-EQ feature which sets the crossover specifically for Polk speakers, I like that it has a smaller footprint, I like the looks of it and I like that it is $100 cheaper therefore, I like the Polk amp better.

And the fact that we're biased doesnt really matter. We're not longtime loyal customers and fans of Polk Audio because we like the looks of their website, but because we really love their products. So we're not more biased towards Polk than you are towards JL.

This discussion has been closed.