Can a Voice Coil be blown without rattling etc?

Options
banta
banta Posts: 4
edited May 2006 in Troubleshooting
Hi there,

My CSi5 took an unfortunate tumble from the top of my t.v. today :( ugh. When I got it back up and running, the test tone sounded fuller through the right driver than the left and I was wondering if there could be damage to the speaker without making any "bad " noises like rattling, crackling etc.. Is that possible? It sounds to me as though the high mids are diminished on the one side.

Thanks,
Banta

P.S. Any suggestions about repair? It's still under the 5yr polk warranty.
Post edited by banta on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The midwoofs don't output the same frequency range, the left driver has a very limited response compared to the right. It's a '2.5 way' speaker.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think Russ called it. since something happenned, you put your ears to all the drivers to check them, and you noticed the cascading thing. your going to be sensitive to it for a while. I suggest watching movies like younormally do, at the normal volumes you listen to. if you srewed the driver, you would most likly hear something like the noises you allready mentioned.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • banta
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Well, RuSsMaN, you have officially made my day! Thanks for the information. I was really quite concerned with the potential hassle of repairs etc. and now I can breathe easy.

Take Care,
    Banta

P.S. I ran a frequency sweep through the speaker and the one driver seems to drop off after around 1.6-1.7K... Is this the approximate point at which I should expect that to happen? Again, there were no rattles or crackles at any volume.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It should be about 2.2KHz with a 12dB / octave rolloff.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2006
    Options
    One is around 800 (iirc) cycles, the other around 2200 as stated.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • banta
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hmm I wonder if mine does have an issue then. A 500hz difference is pretty large. I'll re-test it a few times and see if I can be more precise. Thanks for all the info so far. :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It's not going to have a 'bandwidth' issue. You're fine, get back to listening.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • banta
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hehe, ok fair enough. Thanks again Russ
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Sounds normal. However if you want to test the woofers, simply unscrew them carefully from the cabinet with a 9/64" allen wrench, then disconnect the wires. You can hook the driver directly up to your stereo as if it was its own speaker temporarily and play something through it at a low to moderate volume and listen to the driver. If it sounds fairly clean (keep in mind there will be no bass or treble while testing in this fashion) then the component is probably OK. If you hear no sound, or it rattles buzzes, then that part is not working properly.

While the drivers are removed, take a peek inside to make sure nothing is floating around in there.
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio