Looking for opinions & advice on tube amps

Options
mulveling
mulveling Posts: 505
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
New speakers are arriving next week (Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Sig monitors), and - inexplicably - I already want a new power amp :D Current amp is a PS Audio HCA2. Preamp is a Melos SHA-Gold Reference that I love, so I'm not interested in an integrated. For resale value concerns I'd prefer to buy used on audiogon, but I'll buy new if I have to. Looking to keep this under $2K; $1.5K would be ideal.

I though I'd have a Parasound Halo A21 on the way, but that deal fell though. After some reflection, I'm thinking I might prefer a nice tube amp since I vastly favor tubes in my preamps and heaphone amps. I think I'd want around 50 Watts /ch or more. Speakers are 92 db, 4 ohm.

Here are the models that have caught my interest so far:
PrimaLuna Prologue (4, 5, 6, or 7)
BAT VK60
Audio Research VS55 (or VT50, VT60)
AES Six Pac

Anybody got experience with any of these models? Or, does anyone who's had a few tube amps have opinions on this matter?
Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
Post edited by mulveling on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Those Prima Lunas have caught my attention as well. Seem to be of better quality than the ASLs and just as much of a bargain price wise. I'd be interested to know more about them, since all I have to go by are written reviews. I wish I knew someone with personal experience. The AESs are supposed to be ALMOST the same as Cary's, if I'm not mistaken.

With your budget, you'll have a plethora(sp?) of possibilities on the used market.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Skip the Prima Luna....and add some used Manley gear to the watch list.

AES is exactly like Cary Audio.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd add McAlister Audio's PP150 to your list. Under a grand new and it sounds awesome. The photos on his site aren't current: link The new design looks better imo. Here are some pics (front and back) of my amp with blue caps (they were replaced with black caps after the photo), followed by Chuck's (madmax), and finally Rich's (SCompRacer) - which is the original design.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Skip the Prima Luna....and add some used Manley gear to the watch list.

AES is exactly like Cary Audio.
    Interesting. Any particular reason you don't like the PrimaLuna's? Have you heard any of the models? To be honest, the made in China thing doesn't thrill me. However, a fellow head-fi forum member - with similar tastes and gear - has the Prologue 6 monoblocks with the same Linbrook monitors and loves the combo. Hence my interest in their amps. I was skeptical and wondering if they might be overhyped, before he posted his impressions. If you've had a bad experience with their products I'd be intersted in hearing about it. I do think the Manley gear would be nice, but the aesthetics of their entry level amps (like the Stingray) don't really do it for me :p
    I'd add McAlister Audio's PP150 to your list. Under a grand new and it sounds awesome. The photos on his site aren't current: link The new design looks better imo. Here are some pics (front and back) of my amp with blue caps (they were replaced with black caps after the photo), followed by Chuck's (madmax), and finally Rich's (SCompRacer) - which is the original design.
    Sweet! Now that looks like a tube lover's tube amp! I've heard many good things about his electrostatic tube headphone amp - it's often cited that it's hard to imagine how he builds them for such a low price. I like the big 'ol caps sticking out. Actually preferred them blue - reminds me of my Singlepower "Supra Dupra Supra" headphone amp:
    SupraDupraSupra_Amp.jpg
    Just a question; what's the function of that umbilical cord attached to the tops of the big tubes? I've seen that before in mega-power tube amps but I have no clue what it does. I do like the prospects of that McAlister amp; thanks for the rec!
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2006
    Options
    If your just getting started,grab a good used amp from any of
    the above mentioned,Cary,Bat,etc...nice thing is you can always
    tube roll to alter the sound a tad.Have fun!:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited May 2006
    Options
    mulveling wrote:
    .....what's the function of that umbilical cord attached to the tops of the big tubes?

He uses horizontal output tubes and that terminal is the top anode connection. These tubes coupled with his interleaved output transformers provide amazing bass for a tube amp. Output impedance is 0.5 ohm and relative to 7 ohms which is high for a tube amp and in SS territory. It was primarily designed to drive electrostatic speakers so it has the guts to drive low efficiency speakers.

Due to the high voltage/amperage he runs the tubes at, you have a 30% chance of changing the sound with tube rolling. You would have to hear it to determine if you wanted it to change.

It doesn't look as good as some amps, but it's hard to beat the price for performance.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *