Did anyone see that horse injury?

2»

Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    Just heard the news myself. A damn shame, these horses are being raced too young.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    :rolleyes:

How many millions of dollars were pumped into that thing, just so it could live the end of its life in agony? And so people could develop these bizarre unhealthy attachments to a random horse, when hundreds of them befall similar fates every year?

Next.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Well...in Polk-ville they say
    That Bobman's small heart grew three sizes that day!
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2007
    To an extent I agree with Bob. Broken legs & horses just are a bad combination.

I hate to think how much that horse suffered just so his owners could try to make a few bucks off of his sperm!

The humane thing to have been done was to put him down when it first happened!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Agreed... it was all about the money ultimately. And shrouding it under a human (animal)-interest story to garner support was fairly deceiving.

It's still a horsey. Which is one step away from a unicorn. And after licking all these Mickey Mouse stamps, I'm thinking I really like unicorns. Especially the purple ones made of chocolate.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Here's my take on the Barbaro love around the world, in all seriousness.

If you're inherently against horse racing, then you're allowed to feel sympathy for Barbaro, I guess, because he stands for everything you probably don't like about horse racing.

If you're a fan of horse racing, or indifferent, then you should only care that the horse is dead because you don't get to watch it race. If you feel BAD for it, that makes no sense. These things live just so some short guy can sit on their backs and whip the **** out of them so they run faster for money.

Beyond that, do you cry every time a squirrel in the woods dies? I don't know where horses are in the intelligence hierarchy of animals, but I'm sure literally BILLIONS of smarter creatures die daily by MUCH less humane means than this guy did.

All the nut jobs who have been sending him cards and letters and flowers for the past 8 months need to be put to sleep themselves.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Well, I've never felt that compassion (however misguided) should be a crime punishable by death:D

Consider me somewhat indifferent to horse racing (other than the annual Derby get-together my family and I engages in). You spin me a yarn about a sick horse (circumstances nonwithstanding), and the heart strings get pulled a bit.

Maybe I'm a nut job.
    But maybe, just maybe, I'm the patron saint of all horses. Including the one in your heart Bob...

the one in your heart.

neigh
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Gotta love Futurama :

[Leela and Hermes are at a concession stand at the track]
    Concession Man: Get your piping hot horse burgers, horse fries, horse cakes and shakes. We got tongue, straight from the horse's mouth.
    Leela: Hmmmmm.
    Hermes Conrad: It all sounds good.
    Concession Man: All our horses are 100% horse-fed for that double-horse "juiced-in" goodness.
    Leela: I'll have the cholesterol-free omelet with horse-beaters.
    Concession Man: And you, sir? How can I horse you?
    Hermes Conrad: I'll have a horse Coke.
    Concession Man: Horse Pepsi okay?
    Hermes Conrad: Neeeiiiggghh.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    LOL!

Haven't seen that one. Priceless:D
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited January 2007
    cfrizz wrote:
    To an extent I agree with Bob. Broken legs & horses just are a bad combination.

I hate to think how much that horse suffered just so his owners could try to make a few bucks off of his sperm!

The humane thing to have been done was to put him done when it first happened!

Actually, it was not even known for a 100% fact if he was fertile or not, and even assuming that he was, he prolly still wouldn't have been able to breed by raring up on that bad back leg.

Plus, the owners have always had a huge insurance policy on him that they will now be able to collect on that they could have right from the start if it were only about the $$$.

Maybe, just maybe, it was never anything more than the owners simply loved their horse and wanted to exhaust all possible options if there was any chance to save him.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    God forbid there actually be some good in this world....
    Nice post marker.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I'm sure that's it. they loved their horse so much, the put him into a life of servitude, where his endgame is having a little man on his back whipping the **** out of him to make him run for the amusement and monetary gain of others. If that doesn't say love....

If anyone has some time to kill laughing, visit the Deadspin comment thread on this.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    touche
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

Beyond that, do you cry every time a squirrel in the woods dies? I don't know where horses are in the intelligence hierarchy of animals, but I'm sure literally BILLIONS of smarter creatures die daily by MUCH less humane means than this guy did.

All the nut jobs who have been sending him cards and letters and flowers for the past 8 months need to be put to sleep themselves.

This is what ive been thinking all along. I was watching espn and all they had on was that this horse died, most people probably never heard of him anyways. This is a world where millions of chickens and cows get ripped apart daily and we get all sad over a racing horse (don't worry, I'm not one of the animal rights people, I love meat). Why don't you guys cry for the chicken sandwich your eating, he's doing a lot more for you than this horse ever would.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2007
    tommyboy wrote:
    This is a world where millions of chickens and cows get ripped apart daily and we get all sad over a racing horse (don't worry, I'm not one of the animal rights people, I love meat). Why don't you guys cry for the chicken sandwich your eating, he's doing a lot more for you than this horse ever would.
    The horse is different...at least according to the Fifth US Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.
    HOUSTON (AP) HOUSTON - A federal appeals court says slaughtering horses for meat is illegal in Texas, where the animals symbolize the Old West and where two of the nation's three processing plants are located.

The decision, issued Friday by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, overturns a lower court's ruling last year on a 1949 Texas law that banned horse slaughter for the purpose of selling the meat for food.

The lower court said the Texas law was invalid because it had been repealed by another statute and was pre-empted by federal law.

However, a panel of three judges on the 5th Circuit disagreed, saying the law still stood and was still enforceable.

The 5th Circuit decision also cited more than the law.

"The lone cowboy riding his horse on a Texas trail is a cinematic icon. Not once in memory did the cowboy eat his horse," wrote Judge Fortunato Benavides.

The ruling involves the Dallas Crown Inc. slaughter mill in Kaufman and Beltex Corp. in nearby Forth Worth. The nation's third plant is in Illinois, run by Cavel International Inc. at DeKalb. All three operations are foreign-owned.

A bill pending before Congress would shutter all three operations.

The plants ship the meat overseas, since it is considered a delicacy in parts of Europe and Asia.

About 88,000 horses, mules and other equines were slaughtered in 2005, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.

While proponents such as the American Veterinary Medical Association say slaughter is a kind way to deal with old horses and a better alternative to abandonment, opponents including Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens and country music star Willie Nelson have argued that the killing of equines is un-American — and that many young horses are killed as well.

The Humane Society of the United States, which filed a friend-of-the-court brief in the case, applauded the 5th Circuit decision.

"This is the most important court action ever on the issue of horse slaughter," Wayne Pacelle, the society's president and chief executive, said in a statement. "When this ruling is enforced, a single plant in Illinois will stand alone in conducting this grisly business."

There was no immediate response to calls seeking comment Saturday from representatives of Dallas Crown and Beltex.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    Who really believes horse racing is punishment for the horses? That's like saying that Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes don't like to run in the Iditarod. Those dogs are born to run, and they love it.

Animals aren't human beings, so why do the two get equated? They feel, physically, but they don't have 'feelings'.
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited January 2007
    "The lone cowboy riding his horse on a Texas trail is a cinematic icon. Not once in memory did the cowboy eat his horse," wrote Judge Fortunato Benavides.
    And by that reasoning, anyone wearing a white hat can shoot people wearing black hats :rolleyes:
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Who really believes horse racing is punishment for the horses? That's like saying that Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes don't like to run in the Iditarod. Those dogs are born to run, and they love it.

Animals aren't human beings, so why do the two get equated? They feel, physically, but they don't have 'feelings'.

Just to clarify, despite my statements above, I DO NOT believe that it is punishment for the horse. But I like to speak in a language I think my audience will understand.... :D
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited January 2007
    I as well have a passion for the horses that race in our "home area!" As many people have no idea, Lousiville is also the place that is reserved for the 2nd largest fireworks display in the WORLD...

http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org/

This is an absolutely unbelievable sight!! You would almost have to be present to appreciate this 21st Century Explosion of "dynamatic" art!

The actual Derby races that take place at, Church Hill Downs, are just a small percentage of actual planned and scheduled events to take place during the three weeks of "Derby!"

In Indiana, at certain restaraunts and condo's(BuckHead's, Hooter's, (and an Italian restaraunt I cant think of), are completely rented out and unaccesiable to the common public..

For those that are trying to get a picture with the "stars!" They will have plenty of chances with multiple appearances at clubs and venues throughout the city..

In any given night, one might see: Jessica Simpson, Lidsay Lohan, and Maria Sharapova, walking down to 4th Street Live, or heading down to (Phoenix Hill Tavern, Wick's, or O'Shea's) or just down to Bardstown Rd.(Baxter Ave.) in general..

I would greatly influence anyone that has not taken the time to come to Lousiville, and go to the Debry, to definately do so; you will not be dissappointed in any way..

Dispite what you've heard, come to the Mid-West, and enjoy our "simple" kind of life!!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Bob...

I hugged a squirrel today and lit a hobo on fire soon thereafter. Do you think I have my priorities in order?
    Shouldn't have given me the stank eye.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007