Did anyone see that horse injury?

aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12889693/

It's all over the news, I saw the video footage and had to turn my head.

This is the same horse that dominated the K.Derby a couple of weeks ago and was going for a triple crown. I don't even watch horse racing but man this story is just crazy.
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2006
    I did see that, same feeling here. Knowing little about horses, I have never understood why a horse needs to be put down when a leg is broken.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2006
    Yeah...
    it's pretty messed up.
    There are a lot of unanswered questions concerning the handling of the "false start". Generally, all the horses are reloaded into the gate if this occurs, but this didn't happen. As a result, there simply was not enough time alloted to inspect the horse's condition once he had jumped the gun. Much should come to the light in the upcoming days, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than one error was made by more than a few.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2006
    I heard something about them not being able to kept laying down because it destroys their digestive system. Don't know if that's true or not. Sounds like one hell of a painful injury for an animal that requires all 4 legs to support it's large frame.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2006
    janmike wrote:
    I did see that, same feeling here. Knowing little about horses, I have never understood why a horse needs to be put down when a leg is broken.

Very often they don't need to be. But the short and simple answer is that they cannot "lie down" to alleviate the tremendous pressure placed on their legs at all times.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2006
    looks like Demi beat me to it....:o
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited May 2006
    Really sad. Took the fun out of the race. I heard this morning the the horse has a 50/50 chance of survival. I sure hope he pulls through.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2006
    For those that are old enough, I flashbacked to Joe Theisman.:eek:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited May 2006
    Did Joe Theisman get "put down"?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Did Joe Theisman get "put down"?

Same as...................he never went under center again.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Skynut
    edited May 2006
    I hate to see horses get hurt. The horse just races and gets no choice but when the owner gets hurt.... at least there was a choice made there.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited May 2006
    Tim Krumrie, Bengals, Super Bowl XXlll. Ouch.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited May 2006
    this makes me think of that movie with dakota fanning and the horse in that one. Dreamer?

I forget haven't seen it but hopefully something like that will happen and this horse makes it through surgery

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited May 2006
    At least the horse could limp away and didn't completely colapse on itself and get trampled on. I've seen that happen and THAT is much uglier than what happened to this one (unfortunate all the same).
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2006
    Very often they don't need to be. But the short and simple answer is that they cannot "lie down" to alleviate the tremendous pressure placed on their legs at all times.

Also, there are problems that occur if a horse can not even place even weight on all 4 legs. the whole put them down thing is not for fun, it avoids alot of pain and suffering for the Horse. A major break is usually not a good thing, but supposedly they operated on it and the horse is improving, but due to the finicky nature of this type of injury on horses, he aint no where NEAR out of the woods yet.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Skynut
    edited May 2006
    He will never be a competitor again either.
    I hope he makes it and gets to live the rest of his life with no one on his back.
    A happy little horsey.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2006
    Talk about a "happy little horsey"...
    they say he's been "responding" to the parade of mares they've been bringing to his stall.
    I'm sure he'd trade the life of a racehorse for that of a stallion any day of the week and twice on sundays:D
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2006
    Talk about a "happy little horsey"...
    they say he's been "responding" to the parade of mares they've been bringing to his stall.
    I'm sure he'd trade the life of a racehorse for that of a stallion any day of the week and twice on sundays:D

won't do any good, at least not now. If a horse can't stand on his hind-legs so to speak, he can't procreate.

Infections are the big concern now. Much like a sick person bedridden and dying of bedsores. That's why they're saying his chances are 50/50.

Hope he makes it.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2006
    polrbehr wrote:
    Tim Krumrie, Bengals, Super Bowl XXlll. Ouch.

I saw that one. His leg snappped and whirled around like a helicopter blade. Ouch!:eek:
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2006
    PolkThug wrote:

good link... this answers a lot of questions

Has anyone heard anything further regarding the false start and why all the horses weren't taken out of the gates?
  • limashaynut
    limashaynut Posts: 152
    edited May 2006
    Knowing little about horses, I have never understood why a horse needs to be put down when a leg is broken.

I breed and show Quarter Horses and will try and answer your question for you.

First, the information in some of the previous post and links are for the most part true when it comes to infection, but I feel that the danger is somewhat overstated. While there is a real risk, there are great antibotics that are available for equines. Horses receive serious cuts and surgeries every day, and we geld (castrate) several each year with no real problems, and if there is infection, it can readily be treated successfully. When we do a gelding, they walk around for about a week with an open and draining six inch incision in their ****, we rarely have a problem, and if we do, antibiotics have always worked.

A number of years back there was not the ability to successfully operate on a broken horses leg, so putting them down was the only option. Things have now changed, and a good equine hospital can now repair a broken leg more often than not. Resetting a horses broken leg is not as simple as resetting a humans leg. With the average Quarter Horse, you have about 900 to 1200 .lbs being supported on four legs that are in proportion to body weight smaller than those of a human, and they take a LOT of stress.

I was watching the race when it happened, and as soon as I saw that right rear hoof flail out to the side, I knew that he had broken his leg. From what I saw, and later understood, the bones that were broken are equivalent to your ankle.

Another reason that some horses are put down, and this is a shame to say, is quite simply cost. It is quite expensive to repair a broken leg that requires surgery. Now for the owners of this horse, that in and of itself should not be an issue, but for some it is.

In the end however, the biggest obstacle to the recovery of a horse with a broken leg, is quite simply the horse itself. Even if the surgery is successfull, infection does not set in, and cost is not a problem, the horse MUST have the temperment to allow the healing process to take place. Equines CAN NOT lay down for long periods of time, if they do, it will kill them. The intestinal tract of a horse is incredibly long, and this is a function of the fact that it is designed to digest large amounts of relatively low nutritional food (grass). If they lay for too long they will get blockages of waste or even gas, this leads to colic, and then death.

For a horse to heal properly, they must be able to stand, but yet not put excessive weight or stress on the broken bone. To do this they are usually put into a type of suspension harness that holds them upright, but does not allow them to move around, and this is for a relatively long period of time. Many horses simply do not have the temperment to accept this, and will fight the restriction, and they are the ones that have to be put down.

Last, but not least, there are the insurance companies. I heard that he was worth about 20 million (I think that is correct), while I have never had one worth any where near that much, I have had several that I have sold for about $100,000. I usually carry equine insurance for any horse worth $20,000 and up. When you carry these policies, the insurance company has final say as to the disposition of the horse if you file a claim. Another words, if you file a claim for a injury or disease to a horse, the insurance company either reviews your vets report, or sends their own vet to examine the horse. Based on this information, they have the right to decide if the horse to be put down or not, if they decide that the horse should be put down (think HMO), and you decide not to do it, then you may have to forfeit some or all of your claim.

The one thing I have seen reported that is just plain wrong, is the crap that this stallion might not be able to even be saved to be used as a stud. While there is the problem of putting stess on this rear leg if he has to do natural cover, he should not HAVE TO do natural cover. Most all equine breed registries allow artificial insemination, Thoroughbreds however have an arbitrary rule that it MUST be natural cover. This is just plain silly and is dangerous to the handlers, the stallion, and the mare. The American Quarter Horse Association (along with most other registries) allow artificial insemination either on the spot, or to be shipped as either cooled or frozen **** (that word may be a first for this forum!). To insure that there is no funny business with insemination, all horses have a DNA test performed when they are registered. This cost all of about $20, and only involves pulling a hair sample from the foal. This is a perfect example of a problem being created by illogical arbitrary rules.

This may have been far more than you ever wanted to know, but it was a slow night!
    Jerry

Denon AVR-3806 7.1
    Outlaw Audio M200 (RF,C,LF)
    Sony KDFE42A10 LCD
    Directv H10-250 DVR
    Sony DVP-NS90V
    Sony RDR-GX315
    JVC Super VHS
    Polk RTi8 m
    Polk CSi5 c
    Polk RTi6 sr
    Polk Monitor 30 srb
    Polk PSW505 sw (I know, I know, get an SVS!)

PLUCK THE CHICKS!
    From A Former Fan
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2006
    Great info! Thanks!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2006
    Holy crap- this week's Newsweek has a picture of the leg with all the pins in it. Yikes- will try to find a link online.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2006
    Poor horse. At least his owners are fixing him and hopefully he will just retire to a pasture somewhere. I hate to see God's creatures trained to entertain us for our amusement. I don't care for horse racing, dog racing, circuses or anything else that does that.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2006
    If he lives, he's gonna have a full time job getting laid. I can't say for sure, but I suspect he'd prefer that to pasture.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2006
    Just to resurrect this thread... horses can, indeed, lie down. Shot this the other weekend on a warm, sunny day. One of our Arabians taking a light nap. I think he's smiling :D

tn_med_100_2113.jpg
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2006
    nadams wrote:
    Shot this the other weekend on a warm, sunny day.

Hopefully it was a clean shot and he went peacefully.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Hopefully it was a clean shot and he went peacefully.

I can't beleive he shot his horse for laying down. Couldn't they have just put him in "timeout" or something. Does PETA know about this?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    Barbaro was euthanized Monday morning. Sad, sad news. This story was followed locally on a daily basis after the injury. I suppose due in no small part to the given popularity of the sport in this area.