Options
nuinn
nuinn Posts: 15
edited June 2002 in Electronics
Hi folks,
i recently purchased the Sony 40 XBR tube,
(sorry, it had to be a tube),
and have a few questions.
is there any reason some folks have a light directly behind their display, is htis for rear projection displays, is there any reason i would consider using this?

I have Comcast cable, not digital yet,
and i noticed last year, just before the announcemnt of digital cable, that the over all quality of my signals dropped, in particular, UPN is more or less unwatchable.
is there any reason to think that the digital box would give the the clean picture i used to have?

also, can anyone tell me:
is the cable boxsimply a pass through?
or will need my 6th remote to control it?
(i've not been very happy with the univeral remote i've seen).
Post edited by nuinn on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    Options
    i would call comcast and tell them your problem and they will fix it we got a seccond cabble company and i got the digital cabble for the same price as my normal but i hate their box and it is not any better than the regular sigonal and there is no digital out or s video out it realey sucks i am going to switch cabble to wow right after the wings win the cup so my cabble dont get messed up and i cant watch the game
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Some, like myself, put a 6500k light behind our TVs. Basically, this is about as close as you can get to a 'natural' light color. Your regular incandescent household bulbs have a strong yellow color that interfere with the viewing experience and can alter color perception. You need some light in a room, so you want something a close to natural light as possible.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Hi niunn, back lighting is for eye fatigue for prolong tv whatching. Especially for small 40" and under tv's. This can also benifit with some rear projection sets. No BL for front projection systems because of the large screen and less viewing time.
    i recently purchased the Sony 40 XBR tube,
    Man that is a big tube. It hurts me to think how much you paid for it not to mention it is a Sony which are WAY over priced. If you think you are getting a MUCH better picture with the tube the gap is much smaller than you think. Not being a widescreen is going to hurt. 13" height viewing surface. And at $3000 bucks dam it. Could bought an HD 60" that weights even less (286lbs) oouuch. Sorry did not mean to bum you out. :D lol
  • nuinn
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Overpriced?!?!

but, it matches my Drapes damnit!
    just kidding,
    i got it though Tweeter, through an invitation only sale,
    at a substantially lower price than advertized.
    and, most importantly: it was what i wanted.
    I'm not sold on the longevity of rear projection, vs, tube, so the point, for me, is moot.
    best damn tube, as far as i can tell.

also:
    i despise satelitte, i live in an aprtment,
    and they are delivering at no charge.
    It hasn't arrived yet either, but should monday.
    I'll post a picture of it and everything hooked up.
    thanks for the light advise, i'll ask around about acquirring such a light.

Thanks a million!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Home Depot has them.
    The thing on ony's being the best damn tubes????very close second only to Lowve,they are a german company with the best damn tubes I had ever seen....they are just stupid clear and clean.Now they are overpriced I think.
    But in the really real world prices the Sony can't be touched.No other brand even comes close.I have carried that big monster up stairs and all over the place, not a fun tv to carry.I own the Sony WEGA XBR 36 and it's not much easier to carry.
    I hope you bought a strong stand or the sony stand to hold that monster, I have seen it take out other tv stands andd home made shelf type wall units.Be carefull with it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    did you buy your tv from the kirkwood store on rt202???I used to work for Tweeter, they are a great company.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nuinn
    edited June 2002
    Options
    i bought the Stock stand (it was also discounted).
    I got mine from the Rockville Maryland Tweeter.
    I can't speak highly enough about my experience there.
    i was treated with respect,
    By the manager, and it made the whole experience positive, I bought the Sony 900V dvd player the day before i paid for the TV, and the manager wasn't there, but I was helped by 2 sales people, both of whom answered my questions, and gave me outstanding Phone suppport, once i got it home (telling me it wasn't just the manager putting on his manager face, i was getting ghe regular joe blow respect, which was quite high).
    It was recommend i get a nice Top of the line monsert cable for coaxial, which they happend to sell for 99 bucks, on sale to 55.
    ANd i must say, the image is visibly improved, fonts and text are cleaner and there some what higher lvl of crispness.

I still don't have my Display yet, but soon, very very soon.
    in fact that my only complaint about the whole tweeter experience has been the delivery aspect, no one has YET called me t oarrange a time and date, and the deal was final at 11:00 am thursday.

I'll be a big boy, and be patient, but i don't like the fact that i havn't even beeen contacted yet.
    I hope i get the call, and the delivery,
    until then, here's my set up, as it stands:
    http://www.his.com/darnok/comp.html
    as soon as the display is in, i'll take more pictures, and post them.

Mantis, im not surprized you worked there, you seem to know the
    buisness, pretty well, thanks for you all your help.
    ( I still never found night time mode: ( (LOL)
    Thanks for the advise, and support!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited June 2002
    Options
    What's that bottle of lotion doing on your computer desk? ;)

joe :D
  • nuinn
    edited June 2002
    Options
    heh.
    i need it for a skin problem (it's got patchouly in it, probably bad for what you have in mind),also:
    (I wear a beard, and gets might flacky if i don't lotion my neck every day).
    I've also got long hair, the other stuff is for that.
    why not quiz me directly on my sexual proclivitites?
    (since you need to know, i've never used lotion, yech!)

hmmm?
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks, that's all we needed to know. ;)

Sticking with the subject, I've considered a backlight for my RPTV, but I've been so busy getting everything else fixed up that I haven't had to to really look into it. Let us know what you decide!

joe :D
  • nuinn
    edited June 2002
    Options
    After thinking about it,
    i don't FEEL the need to persue it
    kind of like: "i don't know what i'm missing" mentality,
    if that makes sence.

I'm hopping to see deliverry take place tomorrow,
    but i havn't heard a word from anybody yet.
    i guess this is where the service falls down, at tweeters.
    it's between this, and picking it up and installing it myself,
    and i'm just not up to the job. i'd need three people,
    and a truck, bleh, i wish this was 5 years in the future,
    when the tomorrow's plasma's will go for 20 percent of the prices of todays.
    but this is definatly my Display budget, for the next 10 years, if not longer.

thanks for all the comments

Nuinn