NASCAR...Your thoughts

2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Hmm. Must be getting old cause I dont remember starting this thread. ;)

As for the skill, I double dog dare anybody doubting the skill level to climb into a car and not only drive 190 mph for 4 straight hours but do it with 43 other cars surrounding you. We've all been in work traffic. Most of those people cant drive at 45 mph!

And there is so much strategy involved with pit stops, tires, setups and so on.

Tony Stewart is such an asshoole and that precisely why I love the dude! NASCAR has everybody castrated and sugar coated to where they wont say or do what is really on their mind. Tony will. Add that to the fact that he is the best driver on the circuit right now and he's the guy Im rooting for.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2006
    If I thought he was being an **** to just rebel against NASCAR, that would be one thing. The guy's just a genuine ****, and I always have an issue rooting for the bad guy to win...
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2006
    aaharvel wrote:
    Man I grew up on the stuff back when the North Wilkesboro Speedway was still in operation and I loved it. We'd set up a camper and grill out just outside of the track and my grandfather and parents were/is (?) good friends with the Staleys and I got to meet quite a bit of racers- Petty, Lake Speed, Waltrip, Richmond, etc.. but after they sold the race to some business hot-shot in Texas, the economy of Wilkesboro soon went ker'plunk as did my love for the sport.

Now it's nothing but a bunch of advertising.
    I miss those days.

Mike Staley and his father Enoch had a partner that sold to Bruton Smith who owns Texas Motor Speedway among others. After Enoch's death Mike had to sell the familys half to Bob Bahre who owns New Hampshire Speedway. I was fortunate to also know the Staleys, I spent alot of time in their "victory lane". That was a requirement where I worked.:) NASCAR spoken here.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2006
    read-alot wrote:
    Mike Staley and his father Enoch had a partner that sold to Bruton Smith who owns Texas Motor Speedway among others. After Enoch's death Mike had to sell the familys half to Bob Bahre who owns New Hampshire Speedway. I was fortunate to also know the Staleys, I spent alot of time in their "victory lane". That was a requirement where I worked.:) NASCAR spoken here.

yup. Bruton was his name I forgot. I didn't know Mike at all. Just his wife Arlene and their son Shane, who went to highschool with me. My folks knew all of them. Small world.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod, if you ever get to AMS for a race or other festivities,pm me,I live 1.1 miles from the track,its open 363 days/year. I also have friends in low places :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2006
    Wow! I bet it gets crazy around there on NASCAR weekends!

I dont know if Id ever want to go to a race because I hate crowds and 200,000 people certainly qualifies as a crowd!

One day maybe Ill venture down to one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2006
    I live less than 10 miles away from Texas Motor Speedway and I have been there twice, on SCCA events. Free tickets to NASCAR, IRL etc. but I just don't care much for circle racing so I never go. My next racing event will propably be either Montreal GP, Indy GP or WRC Mexico. Most likely WRC in Mexico.

Granted F1 isn't what it used to be. Gone are the days of Villeneuve, Rosberg (although you see both names still in F1, just not the same guys), Senna etc. Hakkinen vs. Schumi was good but still not what it used to be. WRC was more interesting back in the Group B days as well but it has hold up better than F1 IMO.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Tony Stewart is such an asshoole and that precisely why I love the dude!
    One of my favorite magnets......oh, and Nascar is a sport that should be watched via the hilite reel on the news or espn......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    Whever I see NASCAR I think about this prank

http://www.orock1059.com/audio/prank711.swf

I warn you now, this guy is a crazy racist so the easily offended may not want to listen. ....but damn its funny!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Wow! I bet it gets crazy around there on NASCAR weekends!

I dont know if Id ever want to go to a race because I hate crowds and 200,000 people certainly qualifies as a crowd!

One day maybe Ill venture down to one.

It does, but being local,I get a windshield "pass" that lets me go where others cannot,:D ,nonetheless,it's one heck of a show :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited April 2006
    be a man. watch some F1 or indy car racing, not some rednecks going fast in a circle....

Competing in NASCAR sure takes a lot more skill than working for Tweeter
    I do know that much...

I am not a NASCAR fan like I said before and stated the reason, but I still
    appreciate how hard thier job is.. Of course every Teenager "thinks" they can
    do what NASCAR drivers can do but I have a Caveat for them, watching The
    Fast and the Furious is NOT race car driver training....

:D
  • read-alot
    edited April 2006
    Racing was fun at one time.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    are you referring to the obvious cameraderie, or the many empty beer cans scattered about? :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2006
    read-alot wrote:
    Racing was fun at one time.

that's right. Hey read-alot, do you ever make your way to Wilkesboro any? Have you seen Jr's house off of 421? It's HUUUUUGE. He's got that one little section of the hwy named after him as well.
    I know many people think Nascar's home is Charlotte. But it's actually in Wilkes with Jr. Johnson, dirt wheel races and the moonshine exploits. From a merchandising and notoriety p.o.v., Charlotte seems like the right place for the Nascar Hall of Fame (or whatever it is). But given it's true roots, I think my hometown should have won that coin toss. Alas, just one more example why I think Nascar has changed- and changed for the worse. Just solidifies why I no longer watch it.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2006
    I truly enjoy my Sundays with HDEF Nascar! The SVS's get a work out and the neighbors swoon.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • read-alot
    edited April 2006
    Mac forgive me for the hijack.

I moved from Spartanburg SC to Wilkes county in 1980 to work for Mr. Johnson. He is still today one of my best friends and I would still be working for him had he not retired from racing. I was fortunate to stand in victory lane celebrating many wins and Cup championships with the man.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    deepinya wrote:
    Whever I see NASCAR I think about this prank

http://www.orock1059.com/audio/prank711.swf

I warn you now, this guy is a crazy racist so the easily offended may not want to listen. ....but damn its funny!

Offensive but hella funny.
    I can't believe there are people like that in this day and age.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    he's got the most amazing talent for stringing together curses in ways i never thought possible... and with such speed!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    Discrimination comes in many forms......right sky? ;)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Discrimination comes in many forms......right sky? ;)

I guess you are right.:o
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • read-alot
    edited April 2006
    Have you seen Jr's house off of 421? It's HUUUUUGE. He's got that one little section of the hwy named after him as well.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah I even get to go inside and eat every now and then:)
    He has one heck of a pool and pool house out back.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • 98thumpin
    98thumpin Posts: 649
    edited April 2006
    nascar rocks i went to dover when i was like 10 and touched bobby labonte's car
    John Tyler Birch

home audio system:

Denon avr-1907
    Sony dvd/cd changer 5 disc
    nakamichi BX-100 tape deck
    2 Polk Audio monitor 70's
    Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer
    RCA TV
    NAK 600 tape deck
    Monster power line conditioning power center