NASCAR...Your thoughts

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Tony Stewart?!? Enlighten me. I missed that one! Smoke rules!
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2006
    Mac don't tell me you're a NASCAR fan! Just cause your'e from da souf' doesn't mean you have to neck it with the rest of them.:D
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    You better believe it bro! Every Sunday Im parked in front of the TV eagerly awaiting Darrell Waltrip to utter those immortal words, "boogitty boogitty boogitty! Lets go racin' boys!"

But I still hate country music, and I dont live in a trailer.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jderdock
    jderdock Posts: 131
    edited April 2006
    driving in a circle for 500 miles? really? More power to you...I can't relate (other than to the BYOB).
    Rega P3 > Parasound Zphono > NAD C320BEE > Polk LSi 15
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2006
    hmm... totally off-topic (naturally), but i find that the more i learn about racing and what it takes to really do it (i'm very into formula one), the more i respect nascar drivers for their ability... what normal human can keep his car within a single mile per hour of the limit for two and a half hours? not to mention mechanical problems and, oh yeah, everyone else trying to wreck you?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2006
    If you don't like NASCAR or don't get it, TRY IT! Driving a car with "only" 650hp at the Kansas Speedway was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

1800bepetty
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    jderdock wrote:
    driving in a circle for 500 miles? really? More power to you...I can't relate (other than to the BYOB).

Yeah and football is just a bunch of guys running up and down a field.

And basketball is just a bunch of guys running up and down a court.

And hockey is just a bunch of guys skating.

• jderdock
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah and football is just a bunch of guys running up and down a field.

And basketball is just a bunch of guys running up and down a court.

And hockey is just a bunch of guys skating.

touche! different strokes
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Yup. I understand it not being for everybody, hell I couldnt care less about basketball, but there is soooo much more to it and it is every bit as strategic and requires as much planning, preparation, training and skill as any other professional sport.

• jderdock
    edited April 2006
    I don't doubt it at all. It's just one of those activities that seems like it would be far more entertaining to participate in than watch...much like ****.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2006
    WRC is all that matters. F1 is OK, I guess. :D And drifting is fun to watch. Can't watch two seconds of NASCAR, though.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    Thom wrote:
    WRC is all that matters. F1 is OK, I guess. :D And drifting is fun to watch. Can't watch two seconds of NASCAR, though.
    oooh... wrc... tried colin mcrae 05 for xbox?

and you're totally wrong... drifting is about as entertaining as an amateur basket-weaving competition... :p

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2006
    Went to see Silent Hill Saturday night and was forced to sit thru a preview of...yup.....you guessed it....

The Fast and the Furious 3 - Tokyo Drift

We needed this movie to be made because there were so many questions left unanswered from the previous 2.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    We needed this movie to be made because there were so many questions left unanswered from the previous 2.

LOL and "Bow Wow" has your answers.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2006
    I refused to watch the second after unknowingly watching the first. But watching a drifting expo in person is fun. If you love the smell of burnt rubber.
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited April 2006
    Thom wrote:

Actually LeMans is all that matters... :)

Well yeah I like WRC too and of course NHRA.....

But LeMans that IS THE RACE... 24 hours baby!
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    OOH OOH!! I WAS THERE!!!

a 39-hour excursion, but so cool... the day was so hot that the rear tires were being peeled off the cars (saw this at least two or three times)... and you could tell when the 'vettes were coming, cause they sounded different than anything else on the track :p

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited April 2006
    So basically it looks like me and mac are the only ones in here that actually gives a damn about nascar.

Which for me nascar comes natural since im from the south and nascar was born right here where I live at. The Darlington Raceway is where nascar all started at.

Everyone thinks you have to be a redneck to like nascar. I mean hell Im a southern dude but I ain't no redneck thats for sure.:p
  • Red230SX
    edited April 2006
    Neo,

You know how you can tell when the Vette's are comming? (They are the cars
    in the lead.....) :) (Not including LMP's!!!)

Cam,

I respect NASCAR drivers, it AIN'T easy! But I HATE "NASCAR" the sanctioning
    body... They suck... They are the most greed filled bunch of people... And
    it ain't the good old days of "Stock, Car, Racing" !
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2006
    Non
    Athletic
    Sports
    Centered
    Around
    Rednecks
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Red230SX
    edited April 2006
    Toxis,

Try it some time....

Non athletic? Yeah because anybody can drive 197MPH with cars 1" off all
    sides and turn that wheel hard for 500 miles, and work the shifter for 500
    miles, and be in 120+ Degree cabin temps for 500 miles..

It takes no skill, takes no knowledge, takes no athleticism at all.. That's why
    out of the millions of folks who try to make it to the top, so few actually do.
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited April 2006
    Red230sx you have a good point there. Nascar is not what it used to be I'll agree they are greedy. They are trying hard to screw it up.

The thing that pisses me off the most is they want to forget where they come from. Ever since they started building the big tracks out west.

It was like oh the south is nothing anymore. They won't to close up half the tracks in the southeast because they don't have the seating that the new big tracks have.

It is nothing more than pure greed in my opinion.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    red230 - you're actually right, they finished 1st and 2nd in their class :p and you may already know this, but they did some study on F1 drivers and found that they exert themselves just as much during a typical race as a professional football player does during a typical (FULL) NFL game... holding their head up in 5-g braking, pushing with dozens of pounds of pressure (but extreme accuracy) on the brake pedal, etc...

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2006
    I respect the endurance of the drivers, that's for sure. A guy I graduated high school with just got his own car at the end of last year (Clint Bowyer). Personally, I can't understand how people can watch it for hours on end. There's no action except for maybe 15 minutes over how many hours? I work across the street from the Kansas Speedway and have gone to 2 NASCAR and one IRL events. They're fun to go to for about a half hour... then I'm ready for a crash or the end. Either will work.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2006
    i personally find enjoyment in the minute details... if you know where to look, every lap is completely different... you can watch and see how each driver modifies his line over a particular corner as the temperature changes, as he loses fuel, as he learns more about what comes next, etc.... these are all changes of inches one way or the other, but still very cool to watch the line 'evolve'... and that's just one thing to watch, i find the details in every aspect of the race to be fun

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited April 2006
    I like to watch but I don't understand all the details.
    I try to learn a little each time I watch but mostly, it is on in the background until the anouncer gets my attention with a wreck.
    I never want anyone to get hurt but I really like to watch the cars fly.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • iworkfortweeter
    iworkfortweeter Posts: 53
    edited April 2006
    be a man. watch some F1 or indy car racing, not some rednecks going fast in a circle....
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    AEM V2 cold air induction
    c400.4 amp powering a pair of momo 6500's
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine monoblock amp powering a jl w3 12''
    custom fab work for tweeters
    jl rca's, dist block and power/grounds
    alpine cda 9857 head
    three ground loop isolators
    ipod integration, all songs at 320kbs
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    Whats the difference in watching Rednecks or some Frenchman go in a circle?

I dig it, find it VERY enjoyable on a lazy Sunday afternoon to watch. It's as American as apple pie. Granted it has changed a lot since the 'old days' when it was truely a manufacturers battleground. I love it when they do the Glen.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2006
    I can deal with NASCAR, but can't stand Tony Stewart...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2006
    I don't like him much either, but dare I say he is probably the best driver in the field right now.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2006
    Man I grew up on the stuff back when the North Wilkesboro Speedway was still in operation and I loved it. We'd set up a camper and grill out just outside of the track and my grandfather and parents were/is (?) good friends with the Staleys and I got to meet quite a bit of racers- Petty, Lake Speed, Waltrip, Richmond, etc.. but after they sold the race to some business hot-shot in Texas, the economy of Wilkesboro soon went ker'plunk as did my love for the sport.

Now it's nothing but a bunch of advertising.
    I miss those days.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush