So, am I stupid or just curious QUOTE]

Is there a third option? :eek:

OK, I choose "D" :)
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Edit-Sorry, my bad. All I meant was that they use diiferent tubes, one uses a rectifier tube, one uses sonicaps and other high quality parts and they seem to also be of different designs in general. The similarities are that they are priced similarly and use tubes. I'm not saying one is better than the other, because that's subjective . I prefer the 6DJ8 variants over the 12A*7 variants and I've owned pres that utilize both.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Apparently I am a total dumbass for trying to compare anything to the Dodd. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that I know it is extremely possible to have warm, airy characteristics from a SS pre for a lot less money that even an entry level tube pre and you still get a remote. :D

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • ND13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Oh please, noone was attacking you personally or calling you a dumbass. Just pointing out that the two pres aren't really that similar, other than them being entry tubed pres.

Peace brotha:)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I feel the 6DJ8/6922 family is more accurate and detailed than the 12A*7 family. But the *7's does have a warmer sound.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have the Audcom AP-110 pre with 396/5760 tubes, with remote, and it sounds fantastic!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Oh please, noone was attacking you personally or calling you a dumbass. Just pointing out that the two pres aren't really that similar, other than them being entry tubed pres.

Peace brotha:)

No problems, just that your side-by-side sure made it seem like the Dared and the Dodd were a lot closer than in the neighborhood, more like they were on the same street, hence my very mild interpolation to take your comparison in a slightly different direction. :cool: Then I get jumped on for it. If we were talking MLP vs. the DLC or the entry Dared, then sure, I'd be making a very large jump, but you said it yourself that they compared very favorably with each other.

Go figure...

Dared vs. Dodd (and sorta vs AA DLC)

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hey, ISIG, if it'll make you feel better, I'll be happy to consider you a dumb-****... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The dodd and dared are in the same league no matter who made them.. The dodd is made in the USA by hand and we love gary so it has an upper hand around here...otherwise they are comparable.. I have been wanting to try SS pre again as well.. i have tube pre and amp now and love it.. but want something different all the time.. Try SS again and be happy...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    No problems, just that your side-by-side sure made it seem like the Dared and the Dodd were a lot closer than in the neighborhood,

Wes

I've learned a little more about them since then. I wasn't jumping on ya, just disagreeing is all.

I still maintain that you can't go wrong with either choice. It will come down to which tube you like the sound of better and whether or not you need a remote.:)