Am I stupid or just curious?

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited April 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
So, am I stupid for wondering what a decent SS pre would sound like in my setup? I mean, everyone here loves their Dodd pre, but I really have nothing to compare it to. I am in no way unhappy with anything in my rig at the moment. But then again, its fun to tweak with things, and the Dodd is the only pre I have used. Am I wrong to want to dabble with a SS pre?

If my curiousity is warranted, what would be a good decent entry-ish SS pre to check out?

If I am being a dumbass, please let me know. If the Dodd really is what everyone says it is, and I believe it to be, maybe I would like to hear what a bad pre would sound like. Anyways, discuss and flame away.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2006
    Options
    the best form of education is trial and error. How much can you learn if you only take other's opinions without trying and creating your own judgements?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If you are one of the ones that jumped all over the tube craze just because others said they were greatest thing since sliced bread, than by all means start looking at SS pre's.

I believe Parasound makes a good one, but I think you will have to get one used.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If you are one of the ones that have not tried tubes, then you should, its not a craze its more of well, a fact. Shelby, Tubes Rule.

I doubt you are going to find something ss around 400 to get anywhere close to the Dodd but I am sure that someone will chime in. But hey, go for it, if it blows your skirt up you won't have a problem flippin the ELP.

RT1
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2006
    Options
    For various reasons my Dodd ELP is boxed up and my NAD C160 is doing the job. The ELP may see some duty later in another rig, but for now I am fine with my current setup.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • reeltrouble1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    My NAD 1130 is mid-entry level, although its decent and has some nice features its tones are just not as musical as the Dodd.

RT1
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I love tubes, but a serious question i have is... and i had one of the first orders for the dodd deal... so i liked it.. But if something is totally nuetral, no tone control.. basically a pass through except through a few small signal tubes..and it doesnt color the sound, how can it be so "Musical" I'm not being funny here, Id like an answer if thier is one..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Absolutely not stupid. Experimenting with new gear through several iterations, even when satisfied with the existing setup, is how I found the gear that I really love. There will be many disappointments along the way, but the potential revelations make it worthwhile. I have yet to meet another person with exactly the same opinions/taste in gear (and only a few are close) - so if you've only tried one preamp/speakers/headphones/amp/source, there's no way to know that it's the best choice for you (or even a decent choice) without trying more grear :D

Edit: Two nice sounding peamp options in the <= $500 used range: the Sugden Headmaster and Melos SHA-1. The Melos is actually a hybrid tube/SS design, the Sugden is all SS. The Sugden is available with a remote-controlled volume. Both also serve as excellent headphone amps. I've also got a PS Audio PCA2, a pretty decently regarded SS preamp ($2000 new, $850 used), and IMO the Sugden whips it. Buy used so you can resell for minimal loss :D
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2006
    Options
    **** - I have a couple of spare Parasound P/HP-850 pre's setting in storage. If you just want to experiment and pay the shipping, we could discuss a loaner type deal. The 850 is rated as a pretty decent SS entry pre, and I have been pretty impressed with it. The Cambridge 500 pre is also another highly rated entry SS pre. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Ooh, now that's an awesome deal, there.

I would most definitely say play with all the gear you can get your hands on. Like a few have said, the only way to really figure out what you like is to get your ears on everything you can. At least, that's my plan.

I've read a lot of good things about the Melos pre; I'd love to play with one in the future.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Shelby, yeah go ahead and try out a ss pre amp... not all of them sound the same. Some good.. others not so good.. But if the Dodd tube pre is the only one you've ever used.. then you may be surprised with a ss pre.. or you may not too. but at least you'd know.

For a pre, you're talking 2 ch only right?

It's like me and my SRS's. I haven't heard any one else's SRS's.. so i don't know if mine sound good or crappy. I think they sound ok to me.. but i'm not really sure either.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Danger,

Well, you could bring the SRS to the fest!!! I am sure someone would like them. Better start working out now though, your going to be straining a bit. Really though, SDA is not for every one, I love it, but I love my Amazings just as much, no one should ever limit themselves, although budget is a consideration. Same way with gear. However, I am standing on my Tubes Rule theory.

RT1
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I'm using that 850 Parasound in my bedroom rig, sounds great...
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2006
    Options
    If you are one of the ones that have not tried tubes, then you should, its not a craze its more of well, a fact. Shelby, Tubes Rule.

RT1

Not to stir the pot too much, but be careful espousing opinion as fact....

My Audio Alchemy DLC (SS) is certainly as warm as the Dared pre (similar to the Dodd ELP) with more control and cleaner bass.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Danger,

Well, you could bring the SRS to the fest!!! I am sure someone would like them. Better start working out now though, your going to be straining a bit. Really though, SDA is not for every one, I love it, but I love my Amazings just as much, no one should ever limit themselves, although budget is a consideration. Same way with gear. However, I am standing on my Tubes Rule theory.

RT1

LOL well. highly unlikely the SRS's are ever going to be moved anywhere.. them suckers are just to heavy. I still like em. but like the point of this thread Shelby started... i'm curious too about other SRS's, and ones like the Carvers too. But my budget quickly cures that curiousity. :(

If i am able to make it to PF06, about the only thing i'd be able to bring would be the tube DAC. It's about the only thing I own that I think anyone would be interested in a demo. Maybe someone (whistles and looks around) would be nice enough to let me try out some different tubes in it. 12AX7 FYI ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    Not to stir the pot too much, but be careful espousing opinion as fact....

Wes

Its a fact and it was tongue in cheek for Cathy. RT1 prefers tubes, besides Wes, we ALL know you cant hear anymore with all the gunshots!!!

I would not compare the Dodd to the Alchemy based on the Dared anymore than I would Parasound to an Anthem based on a B&K.

Edit: Danger I have some Sovtek LPS a good stocked tube you can try, what are you using now?

RT1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2006
    Options
    LOL! I can't hear you!!!!:p :D
    Its a fact and it was tongue in cheek for Cathy. RT1 prefers tubes, besides Wes, we ALL know you cant hear anymore with all the gunshots!!! RT1
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    ... i'm curious too about other SRS's, and ones like the Carvers too. But my budget quickly cures that curiousity. :(

Al, those Platinum Amazings would most likely be a poor choice in your listening room. However, I am thinking that some AL IIIs would be a fine choice.
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    **** - I have a couple of spare Parasound P/HP-850 pre's setting in storage. If you just want to experiment and pay the shipping, we could discuss a loaner type deal. The 850 is rated as a pretty decent SS entry pre, and I have been pretty impressed with it. The Cambridge 500 pre is also another highly rated entry SS pre. Doug.

Doug. That is very generous of you. I would be totally interested in such a deal. My PM box has room, drop me a line.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2006
    Options

Edit: Danger I have some Sovtek LPS a good stocked tube you can try, what are you using now?

RT1

The LPS is a great tube but the other day I did a comparison against the new production Tung-Sol and the TS is a better tube IMO. It made the LPS sound closed in and not so sweet in the mids. Give them a shot. $15 a pop.

As for the SS pre. It's your money. If you feel you need to try a SS pre, go ahead. See if you can get a loaner so you don't have to spend money.

I had a few SS pre (NAD and Rotel) and even my entry level Antique Sound Lab ($299) tubed pre kicked their asses. I doubt any SS pre of the same price will beat your ELP.
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I think there are two things that are really driving this urge to be different.

1) The last time I was getting my listen on at the nearest hi fi shop, the salesman kept mentioning the 'tube sound.' He kept trying to find SS stuff that still had that 'tube sound.' I guess I want to determine what the tube sound is. I can read about it all day long, but its the ears that need to know.

2) I've gone from listening to my Carver system, and then put the same disc on my RTi HT system, and the RTi is just unbearably bad. Just fine for HT, but wholy smokes, just terrible for music. I realize this is apples to oranges in comparison, but the point is that I appreciate the good stuff that much more.
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Are you running a SS amp right now? A better thing to do would be to use that ss pre money and save up a bit for a tube amp. You will hear the "tube sound". This is when the sound has body and texture and vocals, instruments, etc just floats around the room.
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Yes, I am using a SS amp. Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't my Carvers need a ton of watts from the tube amps, and therefore mucho $$? I'm putting 250w/ch into them right now.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The Original Amazings need lots of power, is that what you have, I forget. So you sold the Dodd?

RT1
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I have the MkIV platinums.

Heck no, the Dodd is still right where it should be. Just getting curious. Feels like its time to see other people, too early to settle down with just one pre.
  • organ
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Wow! Yeah you should stick to SS if the speakers are power hungry. I do tube pre/ss amp for the LSi. Bob Carver have a thing for high powered SS so his speakers were probably voiced around his line of amps.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I had (have as a tuner now) a carver ct-7 (ss)as a preamp and am now using a TAD-150 sig tube preamp. It has made the midrange more real and lifelike sounding. I feel it is easier to listen to and is very quiet. I am using ss for the power amp mostly due to the cost of high power tube amps being out of range for now. But I know that ss pre amp are avail at very low prices. Maybe we need to have a seattle fest sometime soon and then you could listen to many different things. Just a thought.
    Dangerboy- I have several 12au7 and 12at7 tubes if you are able to use the lower gain. LMK
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Am I stupid or just cuious?
    Why can't you be both?

I'd loan you an Adcom SLC-505 passive pre, but I can't get my bro-in-law to turn it loose.

You should be able to ebay one for $75 shipped or less. It will surprise you...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 168
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Any other Adcom preamps you would recommend? Thanks

SuperDave
    Yamaha RX-V992 (Center,Rears)
    Adcom GFA-5500 (Main)
    Denon DVD-1920
    Sony XBR 27"
    BrightHouse DVR
    Polk LSi25 Main
    Polk LSiC Center
    Infinity RS1 Rears
    Monster THX Cables
    SuperDave
    Yamaha RX-V992 (Center,Rears)
    Adcom GFA-5500 (Mains)
    Denon DVD-1920
    Mitsubishi 40" LCD
    DirecTV DVR Whole House
    Polk LSi25 Mains
    Polk LSiC Center
    Infinity RS1 Rears
    Monster THX Cables
  • Shizelbs
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Why can't you be both?

I'd loan you an Adcom SLC-505 passive pre, but I can't get my bro-in-law to turn it loose.

You should be able to ebay one for $75 shipped or less. It will surprise you...

Don't pressure your broinlaw too much. Its not that big of a deal. Thanks though.

I'll take a peek on the 'bay tonight and see what I can find.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2006
    Options
    LOL... Although were it available, I'd have no issues sending it to you for a trial, my point was that it's so good he ain't parting with it. And he's about 8 years younger... and a gym rat so....

He needed something smooth to keep his Klipsch Cornwalls in line, and it was nearly perfect... and nearly applies only because it is not remote controlled. Sonically it is very, very nice. Gain is somewhat limited as it is a passive, but obviously that's no issue whatsoever with Klipsch in the mix.

SD,
    I can't discuss other Adcom Pre's, but I'm sure others can.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD