Sub Blown up???

Options
jtashey
jtashey Posts: 2
edited April 2006 in Troubleshooting
I have and older 12" Kicker Solobaric. And the other day it started going on and off....like there was a loose connection. I checked all of the wires and even pulled the sub from the box and everything was hooked up.. And now it doesn't play at all...All fuses are good and the amp has power. I was wondering what I could do for tests to see if its blown? A resistance test or something? And where to check or if i should start somewhere else????
Thanks!
Post edited by jtashey on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    Probably one thing you can do is called a "continuity check". This will use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) set to the lowest DC resistance setting. Touch the two meter probes together and you should see a "0" on the display. Then touch the two probes to the woofer's terminals. You should see around 3 or 4 Ohms displayed. If the meter shows no reading or "OL" (Open Line) your woofer's voice coil has been damaged and is "open".
    Regards, Ken
  • jtashey
    jtashey Posts: 2
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hey,
    Thanks for the help i am a diesel Tech. so i am quite familiar with a multi-meter. Ok i was going to run a resistance test on it but I didnt know if that would tell if it was bad because i know they have resistance in them already...But I will try it and if thats the case is the a way to repair the voice coil or is it pretty much junk?
    Thanks
  • dan152
    dan152 Posts: 27
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Hello,
    Probably one thing you can do is called a "continuity check". This will use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) set to the lowest DC resistance setting. Touch the two meter probes together and you should see a "0" on the display. Then touch the two probes to the woofer's terminals. You should see around 3 or 4 Ohms displayed. If the meter shows no reading or "OL" (Open Line) your woofer's voice coil has been damaged and is "open".
    Regards, Ken

What's the best way to see if a cross-over network has failed? I have a pair of Monitor 5 ser 2 and believe I need new crossovers. Thanks