The wire thing PT3

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
OK,
we all talked about the wire thing, we all voiced our opnions on the matter.The only question i think never got answered was the hard data type question's.
So at this time I would like to ask you guys a few questions.

1)Have you ever done a wire shoot out of any kind?

2)If so, what were your results?

3)Do you want to do a wire test or do you feel it's pointless?

4)What are you looking for exactly in hard data or proof that one wire is better then another?

5)With all the different brands on the market, how do you start your shopping,what do you expect from your purchase?

6)Can anyone else provide a good link to theory on wire and what makes one different from the other?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• aaburto99
    aaburto99 Posts: 17
    edited May 2002
    I'm no expert, but isn't the purpose of speaker wire to transmit an electrical signal from an amp/receiver to the speakers with as little degradation of signal possible? That being said, would a simple measurement of the impedance of identical lengths of wire be enough to quantitatively measure wire quality? Oxygen-free wire theoretically has lower impedance, so theoretically, they would be better than run of the mill Home Depot wire. Am I wrong on this?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    Are you???
    test it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    this wire things needs to DIE!!!

What wire test do you propose?

I will grant that wire can influence sound. As to how much is subjective and I doubt you would, even if you could get everyone together with the same gear be able to get a consensus.

Where could someone get thier hands on this "hard data"?? Is thier like a secret password that you need or something??

Chieftan
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    I found the data! It was in my pocket book all along? It says, high dollar wire is a poor return for your investment dollar!

KING WANNABE
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited May 2002
    Hi:

I think a word of wisdom would be to, "buy what you can afford and be happy with it."

Gary
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Gary,

I think you could apply that to most everything in life actually.....Great words of wisdom

Troy
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    "buy what you can afford and be happy with it."
    <whine>But I want a new system now!</whine>

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    // In my best soup **** voice//

No Revels for YOU!

BDT
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Nooooooooo!

Aaron
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    Most people are not able to: (1)get identical lengths of speaker wire, interconnects (analog nor digital) from 3 or 4 manufacturers, (2)test them for a month, (3)then turn around and return them saying "No thanks, after having them this long, I've decided the bass extension isn't as crisp as brand X". If anybody is able to pull this off I'd be more than interested in their results and their methods so I might be able to do the same.

Until then, I'll stick with standard digital when possible, thick Home Depot speaker, and try to make the best possible decision for analog interconnects based on manufacturer claims (grain of salt factor X10) and build quility. Maybe I'll miss something, but that's alright. I can use the money for more CDs. Besides my Polks probably wouldn't benefit enough.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • bounty5
    bounty5 Posts: 20
    edited June 2002
    found a decent source for audio stuff (lots of wire too) cheaper than i have come across thus far.

www.partsexpress.com
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Got in late but have a question.

I thought the point of OFE Copper was to reduce the oxidation rate of the line? Over time, decreased oxidation keeps impedance increases to a minimum. We just build in longevity into the system.
    ***WAREMTAE***