Krell... the mighty.

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,007
edited June 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
This is really a theater post but i thought all you 2 channel freaks would like this post.
I did a system today with Krell full power balanced 300's for home theater.The new Krell Home theater standars 7.1 was the preamp,Transparent Full Balanced interconnects fed the amps,Wison Watt/puppies where the mains,watch sub and center,with a pair of Snell inwalls.
Audio research transport ,Pioneer Elite dvd player ans a Pioneer Elite laserdisk player,sony vcr,Pioneer Elite Pro720 hd Monitor,Transparent power blocks for the audio gear,and a Monster power hts5100 for the video gear.All wires where transparent,we upgraded the older Mit wire(transparent made a hell of a difference in sound quality.)Satellite was controlled by a Tivo2 which just came out, and to control it allws a Phillips Pronto Pro.
I spend some time programming the Pronto as my Partener worked on the gear.
After hours of hard work(my job is so tuff)We sat down to set everything up.About an hour of set up time has passed and we called the customer to hear all the sonic and Video Improvements made on his system.
I used Star Wars EP1 for the dvd demo......the pod racer scene.This system ripped the ground from under you.Dynamic range was off the chart.It hit so hard and clean youd swear you smelled race fuel.Then it happened,The whole system shutt down.It pulled so much current to run that much dynamic range, it triped to curcuit.
The Krell's have just won more respect as I only had experienced lights dimming around the house when we powered up the monsters.I though something blew up as it was a violent roar before the system crashed.
The customer thought it was the manlyest thing he had ever seen.I think we are going to need a voltage regulator in line with the amps for reserve power.Another deadicated 20 amp circuit we will have our electrician run.
The Krell amps are very impressive sounding, with dynamic like no other, but when it comes to power????Krell is the leader in the Industry.
O by the way the system soundeed awesome!!
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    wend you talk about krell you talk about power supply they advertise that they can weld with there amps, they have huge transformers and weight a wopping 180 lbs. for a 2 channel amp they can run speakers down to 1ohm and less. thats real control.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    my self i dont need that much power from a krell. the aragon i have will give me all the power i will ever need, i would like to have the polk lsi-9 speakers for the aragon to feel, the polk rt-7 that i have hook up to the aragon, i dont think that the aragon know they are there.
    sorry, i dont want to brag but its true.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    edited June 2002
    Aragon sound fantastic,
    I did a home theater with them running B&W and a Meridian pre amp/processor.
    They had killer dynamic power as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.